carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-16-2020, 03:29 PM   #1491
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I saw one of these driving down I-95 today, except it clearly said "Volvo" and "T5" on the trunk. I has confuse.
Just saw one of these in the flesh yesterday, nice looking wagon

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/16/...-t6-road-test/
Jeff_DML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:16 PM   #1492
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It's a neat looking car, but the whole Polestar thing is kind of weird, especially since there's just SO MUCH Volvo in the design language.
It is a cool looking car and looks considerably better in person ...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:18 PM   #1493
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I saw one of these driving down I-95 today, except it clearly said "Volvo" and "T5" on the trunk. I has confuse.

You sure it wasn’t the regular S60 sedan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:31 AM   #1494
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
You sure it wasn’t the regular S60 sedan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was the joke.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:18 PM   #1495
clyde
Chief title editor

Inspecting a freshly delivered 3.

Probably worth watching for an idea of how to look at a new car. Then again, you might not want to.

I like the detailing videos these guys do.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:31 PM   #1496
robg
Carmudgeon

This guy (Sandy Munro) owns a company that does tear down analysis for a lot of manufacturers. He's done a bunch of videos on Teslas and has actually become a huge fan (his initial analysis of the model 3 several years ago was "built like a kia from the 90s"). He interviewed Musk a couple weeks ago was well.

Here's his latest series on the current Model 3. Seems they've made some good improvements over the past 2 years but he is still mystified as to why they continue to struggle with exterior fit/finish. Interior is near perfect. Really interesting stuff if you watch the whole series. Love the little zingers he throws in occasionally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPBGVI2oFLI
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:35 AM   #1497
Alan
Carmudgeon

The other day I saw a Tesla sitting on side of the expressway by an off ramp and it made me think what happens if a Tesla runs out of battery similar to a car running out of gas ? Are you stuck getting it towed or is there some type of portable back battery you could carry ?
Old 03-06-2021, 08:47 AM   #1498
JST

The short answer is no, there’s no backup you carry—the Tesla already has a very energy dense battery, so anything with enough juice to move you any distance would just be...a big huge battery.

The longer answer is that while this might seem like a concern, I’ve never gotten close to actually having to worry about it. Especially if you’re home charging (yes, Clyde, I know not everyone can do that), the car has a full battery every morning, and it provides you with tons of tools to understand your energy usage.

That, coupled with the Supercharger network that’s basically all over the place now (at least on the coasts) means that the chance you’ll be stuck on the side of the road with a dead battery is pretty low. It’s thousands of percent more likely that what will stick you on the side of the road, in fact, is 19th century pneumatic technology, since like most cars these days they don’t come with spares.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:33 AM   #1499
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The other day I saw a Tesla sitting on side of the expressway by an off ramp and it made me think what happens if a Tesla runs out of battery similar to a car running out of gas ? Are you stuck getting it towed or is there some type of portable back battery you could carry ?
Mostly what JST said... AAA in some areas has trucks equipped with chargers that can be used to give a car 5-10 miles of charge in ~20 min.

But have you ever run out of gas? What do you do when the yellow light comes on indicating low fuel?

EVs are basically the same. They let you know when the battery is low (the battery icon goes yellow below 20% and red below 10% on a Tesla), and predict remaining range. Tesla goes further by telling you if you don’t have enough to get to your destination and back home again. On longer trips, it routes you to the Superchargers and includes charging time in your ETA.

I’ve never run out in nearly 8 years. The lowest I’ve taken a Tesla was down to about 2 miles remaining — but I did it on purpose and was close to home below the 10 mile mark. The lowest I pulled into a Supercharger was my first ever Supercharger stop in 2014 - arrived with 13 miles remaining, and that was within a mile of expected (this was before Tesla added advanced route planning into the car, so I had done some planning on a website). That route now has multiple Superchargers along the route that help avoid running so low.

Edit - also remember that you mostly charge at home. You basically never leave home without enough to get where you are going and back home again. I currently charge up about one a week, but when I was still commuting, I charged most nights...

Last edited by ZBB; 03-06-2021 at 10:01 AM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:50 AM   #1500
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
But have you ever run out of gas? What do you do when the yellow light comes on indicating low fuel?
Actually yes only once in my life and I am embarrassed to say I was in my upper 40's when it happened ... you would think this would happen when you're a kid first starting to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post

to about 2 miles remaining —

arrived with 13 miles remaining,
Both of these scenario's would give me major anxiety ... I remember being on a road trip where we were down to the last bar of gas and I was so stressed until we finally found a gas station plus what if the car/gauge is wrong.