carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-23-2020, 09:46 PM   #1411
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Great!

Here's a couple thoughts on charging setup. We just had a Tesla wall charger installed at the new house a couple weeks ago.

As JST says, its best to go with 240V. I charged at 120V in Ohio for 3 years and it worked, but it is slow (3-5 miles of range added per hour of charge). I basically always had the car plugged in when at home. On all but the coldest days, I’d charge enough overnight to cover my commute, and any other drives would catch up with charging on the weekends.

In AZ, we had a 14-50 outlet installed in the garage - cost was a bit over $500, but it could be more if the breaker panel is further away (ours was just a couple feet away). This allows 240V charging with the mobile connector that comes with the car (note - tesla no longer includes the 14-50 adapter, but the service center should have one for $20-25). This will add 29 miles of range per hour for a Model Y.

Since we now have 2 Tesla’s, we decided to go with a wall charger in TX. The wall charger itself costs $500 from Tesla, then the electrician needed to come out and install. The one we used (listed on Tesla’s site and lots of good comments over on the TMC forums), charged $530 for the 60A breaker and 13 foot of wiring in conduit to where we wanted the charger (panel is in one of our garages here...). This charges both the 3 and Y at 44 miles per hour. One note is that Tesla has been frequently out of stock on wall chargers recently — I waited to order until after we were in the house, and it took 6 weeks before I was able to get one (and then they were back out of stock a few hours later)...
Thank you for this! She’s ordered a Tesla charger (I think she nabbed one, because, yes, they’ve been sold out). I reminded her that we had a 14/30 outlet installed for the portable generator. It’s some distance away from the garage at the back porch, but she has a long extension cord that could work, if she has the 14/30 adapter (also sold out lately). I think, given the fact, that she doesn’t need to drive much these days and has the ICE Porsche, she will try to fast charge until her charger arrives and can be installed.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:51 PM   #1412
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Thank you for this! She’s ordered a Tesla charger (I think she nabbed one, because, yes, they’ve been sold out). I reminded her that we had a 14/30 outlet installed for the portable generator. It’s some distance away from the garage at the back porch, but she has a long extension cord that could work, if she has the 14/30 adapter (also sold out lately). I think, given the fact, that she doesn’t need to drive much these days and has the ICE Porsche, she will try to fast charge until her charger arrives and can be installed.
120V should also work. We did that for the first 6 weeks we were here and just took turns when we needed to charge. Just not driving a ton now that I work from home...
Old 09-23-2020, 10:03 PM   #1413
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
120V should also work. We did that for the first 6 weeks we were here and just took turns when we needed to charge. Just not driving a ton now that I work from home...
Good point. And she does have a regular outlet in her garage.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:10 AM   #1414
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Tesla people, what is the real world range of the model S long range (402mile) car.

IE: If I wanted to take it to the lake on a 270 - 290 mile mostly highway drive that I currently average about 78mph (a good portion of highway cruising at ~85 - 90mph) with some decent elevation changes could I easily make it without stopping?

for comparison, I can easily do it on one tank of gas in the x5 with at least 150 miles of residual.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:04 AM   #1415
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Tesla people, what is the real world range of the model S long range (402mile) car.

IE: If I wanted to take it to the lake on a 270 - 290 mile mostly highway drive that I currently average about 78mph (a good portion of highway cruising at ~85 - 90mph) with some decent elevation changes could I easily make it without stopping?

for comparison, I can easily do it on one tank of gas in the x5 with at least 150 miles of residual.
Probably not. And certainly not in colder weather.

I've never driven a Model S LR, so take my answer with a grain of salt. But cruising at 90 burns a lot of watts, and hills can hurt, too. And cold weather/rain takes a toll, as well.

Do you really drive 290 miles without stopping? You've got more endurance than I do.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:09 AM   #1416
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post

For this reason, I keep coming back to the plug-in hybrids. I wish the X3 had better range, but it's very much on my radar--especially with the $5k plus tax credit...I read one rumor that they are coming out with an M version next year, and likely all-electric range will continue to improve each year (the new X5 range is considerably better than the previous one.)

One stumbling bock is that I hate losing the option of the spare, which you cannot have because the battery sucks up that space in the cargo area.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:42 AM   #1417
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Probably not. And certainly not in colder weather.

I've never driven a Model S LR, so take my answer with a grain of salt. But cruising at 90 burns a lot of watts, and hills can hurt, too. And cold weather/rain takes a toll, as well.

Do you really drive 290 miles without stopping? You've got more endurance than I do.
Thanks JST. That was my assumption based on your comments from before.

RE: the drive
Yep, we have it down to a science where when everything works out just right we can make it in 4hrs on the nose. 3:45 was our best performance. Being disciplined to 4hrs lets us leave at 4ish on a friday, get up there for dinner or some summertime sunlight/fishing and have a nice evening. Sunday we can leave around 2pm and be home in time to get everything buttoned up for the next week without killing ourselves.

The drive itself is relatively painless. Up the PA Turnpike NE Extension to 81 to Binghamton, and then west on 17/86. Straight shot, just long. The 270 mile version has a stretch on rt 11 through central PA with some stop & go. That can be a little more painful.

@WDC, Totally agree re: plug in hybrids It would be great to have something that could do 100% e for normal commuting w/ 50 - 100 miles of daily range + a gas engine for a total of 400+ miles range.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:52 AM   #1418
robg
Carmudgeon

Agree that plugin hybrids are a great solution provided they achieve a real world EV range of 40ish miles and are decently quick in EV mode (roughly 0-60 in no more than 7 secs)

Somehow the volt achieved these metrics years ago but most manufacturers haven’t quite achieved this. Granted the Volt lost money for GM so there’s that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:56 AM   #1419
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Agree that plugin hybrids are a great solution provided they achieve a real world EV range of 40ish miles and are decently quick in EV mode (roughly 0-60 in no more than 7 secs)

Somehow the volt achieved these metrics years ago but most manufacturers haven’t quite achieved this. Granted the Volt lost money for GM so there’s that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only plugin hybrid I've used was the 530e or whatever, and it was just awful--no real EV range to speak of and it took forever to charge. I imagine that other PHEVs are better than that, but based on that car I'd be very careful.

End of the day, unless you routinely take long trips (like Josh) where you either don't stop or don't have access to a supercharger, a BEV is a better bet.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:35 AM   #1420
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The only plugin hybrid I've used was the 530e or whatever, and it was just awful--no real EV range to speak of and it took forever to charge. I imagine that other PHEVs are better than that, but based on that car I'd be very careful.

End of the day, unless you routinely take long trips (like Josh) where you either don't stop or don't have access to a supercharger, a BEV is a better bet.
I have to imagine the tech and performance has gotten better. Those were engineered at least 4-5 years ago. The X3 iteration is getting quite good reviews.

Edit: The RAV4 Prime will be the sector leader for awhile. Just don't know if I can live with a Toyota product. I've hated every one I've driven...