lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
For what reason?
Well, gee...besides the property damage -

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Over the summer an older lady had her leg broken as she was leaving the building when a kid pummeled her after he botched his trick.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #52
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli View Post
For skateboarding where it's not allowed.
I thought he meant the park. In that case, install the little metal clips on all the concrete structures around the office building, making it impossible to skate there.

ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #53
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
I thought he meant the park. In that case, install the little metal clips on all the concrete structures around the office building, making it impossible to skate there.
They have done something like that where they can, but in some cases the kids just break them off.

Those things aren't exactly a great solution on the large marble steps in front of the building either, besides not stopping the kids from jumping off the top, what happens when someone inadvertently steps on them and twists their ankle?
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #54
dredmo
Chillaxin'

Carmudgeonly Ride: '05 C50, '04 F-150
I think banning skate boarders is a bad idea. Again, this guy could have been beat down worse for all I care, as long as officers are receiving training so that they can't get busted left and right, and they have guidelines to follow yet freedom to use judgement.

The big issue here, and the only issue as far as I'm concerned, is that if we ban skateboarders, where will we get the excellent footage of prepubescent teens rupturing their testicles on hand rails, and spraying blood from their cranium all over the pavement at church buildings.

Nothing pleases me more than seeing hoodlums hurt themselves, how will I cope if metal things are installed everywhere.
dredmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #55
rautox
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: Phone book... or two
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredmo View Post
The big issue here, and the only issue as far as I'm concerned, is that if we ban skateboarders, where will we get the excellent footage of prepubescent teens rupturing their testicles on hand rails, and spraying blood from their cranium all over the pavement at church buildings.
I've got to admit, that as someone who's spent hundreds of hours watching his friends fall and hurt themselves in utterly idiotic ways, it is funny every single time. Mountainbiking is a close second to skateboarding in this respect.
rautox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #56
dredmo
Chillaxin'

Carmudgeonly Ride: '05 C50, '04 F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rautox View Post
I've got to admit, that as someone who's spent hundreds of hours watching his friends fall and hurt themselves in utterly idiotic ways, it is funny every single time. Mountainbiking is a close second to skateboarding in this respect.
Same thing with snowsports btw. Good times !
dredmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:03 PM   #57
ff

Quote:
They have done something like that where they can, but in some cases the kids just break them off.
In that case, it sounds like it's time for common, ordinary citizens (the people that work in your building) to take action. Maybe a little WWF smackdown on their candy asses. Can you smelllllelelelelelelelellll.... what the Rock is cookin'?
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:28 PM   #58
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
How would you like and expect this cop to treat you?
I had something similar on my first Atom trip - I had gotten lost in SF and, following directions from a gas station attendant, made the first left at the bottom of the hill. Unfortunately, that was the wrong way on a freeway offramp. To be fair, it didn't have a "no left turn" sign, and here in NYC, over/under ramps in the configuration I was expecting are pretty common.

After having the obligatory "oh shit!" moment, I got turned around and headed the right way.

A half block away, I hear the bip of a siren and see a light bar in my rear view mirror.

I pulled over, shut the car down and had my visor up and hands on the wheel before the officer got to the side of the Atom.

Me: May I remove my helmet, officer?
Cop: Yes
Me: Would you like to see my license, registration and insurance?
Me: May I exit the vehicle?

After I got out and handed him my paperwork (it is impossible to get a wallet out while seated in an Atom) he didn't even mention my one-way misadventure. We just chatted about the car and he let me go.

Regarding the skateboarding kid, the officer could have just confiscated the skateboard and told the kid he could pick it up at the station if he came down with a parent/guardian. That would probably have avoided any confrontation at the scene, and then the kid and parent could get a lecture at the police station. Instead, the officer took the skateboard, then came back to berate the kid over and over, and eventually gave the kid the skateboard back.

Cops have a tough job - they never know when they're going to encounter someone who is unbalanced. But citizens shouldn't have to worry about unbalanced police...
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #59
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
I don't know why it's so difficult for you to comprehend the difference between your ridiculous scenarios and the actual ridiculous scenario that is the topic of this conversation.
Fixed

It's not about the kids, when will you get it?

At least he was suspended, rightfully so.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #60
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredmo View Post

And to add, if skateboarding gets banned and these hoodlums don't get hurt, how the hell am I going to pay my mortgage, my bills, my future boat....
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote