carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Keepin' it local

Old 02-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #21
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
If you don't see it, you don't see it......
Please enlighten me to what I'm missing. I hope the officer treats every punk kid he meets with the same "enthusiasm" no matter what the crime.

The kid was breaking the law and ordered to stop by a police officer. He chose not to listen (even his friends were telling him to keep his mouth shut.) That makes him fair game for the cop.

Now if the cop would have started pummeling him with his revolver, or a nearby trash can, then maybe you'd have a case. I just don't see where he did any harm to this kid other than scare him.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:39 PM   #22
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
I don't think anyone has claimed the kid has any kind of "case" against the cop. (please - what are the damages? His self esteem was hurt?)

The issue is the cops behavior and his ability to handle himself while performing the obligations of his job. He should have been able to find a better, less confrontational way to deal with a punk skateboarder that didn't "respect" his badge. Oh, and I hope the law provides for the confiscation of skate boards or the kid will have a case.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #23
Optimus Prime
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Golf TDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
I don't think anyone has claimed the kid has any kind of "case" against the cop. (please - what are the damages? His self esteem was hurt?)

The issue is the cops behavior and his ability to handle himself while performing the obligations of his job. He should have been able to find a better, less confrontational way to deal with a punk skateboarder that didn't "respect" his badge. Oh, and I hope the law provides for the confiscation of skate boards or the kid will have a case.

dude
Old 02-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #24
dredmo
Chillaxin'

Carmudgeonly Ride: '05 C50, '04 F-150
It is ok for cops to get physical, even when questionable, the benefit of the doubt should go to our boys and girls in blue.

Oversight, vetting, and training is the key.
dredmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #25
rautox
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: Phone book... or two
Agree with Bren on this. The inner harbor needs more of that guy. And this all could have been avoided so easily.

Having outrun many many security guards and policemen as a 14 year old skater, I know that you scram and giggle uncontrollably for an hour, stfu and ride out officer riviera's tirade, or end up on the receiving end like this kid did, which could've been a lot worse.

I mean, what kind of idiot skater doesn't bail when the police show up? All you need is one slower friend! And Federal Hill's right there. Is officer riviera going to abandon his hooptie and catch me running up there?! Now THAT would be some good footage.

"I'll call my mom"? WTF are skaters made of these days?
rautox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:19 PM   #26
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rautox View Post
"I'll call my mom"? WTF are skaters made of these days?
That's true. Trust me, I'm no tough guy, but that dude's a pussy. I thought he was 12. 14yo and "I'll call my mom"?

That dude won't eat lunch in HS.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #27
Mr. The Edge
Don't worry, be happy

Carmudgeonly Ride: AW '05 645Cic & '11 Infiniti QX56
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I see no problem with the officer yelling at him for being an irrespectful little punk. That said, he didn't have to go yank the skateboard without asking for it nor shove the kid.

But the kid coud have avoided all that by just being respectful of authority.

Hell, he knew he wasn't supposed to be there. You see a cop talking to you, what do you think he's there for? And you still give him an attitude and call him dude? You're an idiot. But like I said, there was no need to get physical nor say anything about getting killed, etc.

I can see a slight beef, but not a big freakin deal.
+1

Maybe a slight beef, but damn kids these days seem so disrespectful.

I fail to see how this got escalated to the point where he was suspended. That's B.S.
Mr. The Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:43 PM   #28
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
That's true. Trust me, I'm no tough guy, but that dude's a pussy. I thought he was 12. 14yo and "I'll call my mom"?

That dude won't eat lunch in HS.
Dudes work on a ranch, mbr.
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #29
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Quick update in today's Baltimore Sun

LINK
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:29 AM   #30
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Hmmm...
Quote:
he knew at the time that what he was doing was "100 percent wrong."
No kidding...
Quote:
Bush said run-ins with police for skateboarding are nothing new for him and his friends.
Shocker...
Quote:
Santo said he sometimes uses a camcorder to tape his friends' conflicts with police because they find humor in getting yelled at by officers.
Looks like the officer's tact worked...
Quote:
The boys said they have not returned to the harbor, a popular place for skateboarding despite the prohibition against it.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote