carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-03-2004, 03:55 PM   #11
Lartymarf
Jaded

I have been driving a loaner X3 for 2 weeks now... 3.0 liter engine, silver, non-sport package, premium, etc looks JUST like the one tested in the article.

This X3 performs VERY good. Put it this way, Ayn's gf is so used to her Mini Cooper S that she sometimes can feel a little car sick if she was riding in Ayn's 330ci.... however she does not feel car sick in my M3 or the X3 loaner. I know she was on the verge of throwing up last time I had a suburban for rental/loaner from a body shop.

There is definitely enough oomph around town. The engine is pretty strong for the X3, and steptronic is very smooth. I can drive through the twisty roads on my way home as if I was driving a 330i. The X3 also exhibits less understeer as compared to my M3. Lesser tires, but has driving force on the front wheels. Body roll is minimal, and very impressive for an SUV. And the brakes are just AWESOME. Somehow, I feel that the X3 brakes harder than my M3.

I don't really like the front headlights, and the interior door panel and dash looks and feels cheap. Those are my only complaints.

Rear storage space is also no problem, Ayn and I were able to haul a lawn mower, edger, blower, cable, and other stuff without problems.

For the same amount of money, can you buy another SUV with more amenities and luxury? YES.. most definitely. But, can you find another small ute that exhibits great road car like handling? Maybe, but the X3 definitely exceeded my expectation in the driving experience and handling department.

For the record, I've driven extensively, and on long road trips, the X5 4.4 w/sports package, X5 3.0 sport and non sport, and Lexus RX300. I have not driven the Infinity FX or other Japanese luxury SUV's, which I'm pretty sure are much better bang for the buck for the average population who aren't really into the driving experience and involvement with a car/suv/truck etc.
Lartymarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 04:57 PM   #12
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lartymarf
I have been driving a loaner X3 for 2 weeks now... 3.0 liter engine, silver, non-sport package, premium, etc looks JUST like the one tested in the article.

This X3 performs VERY good. Put it this way, Ayn's gf is so used to her Mini Cooper S that she sometimes can feel a little car sick if she was riding in Ayn's 330ci.... however she does not feel car sick in my M3 or the X3 loaner. I know she was on the verge of throwing up last time I had a suburban for rental/loaner from a body shop.

There is definitely enough oomph around town. The engine is pretty strong for the X3, and steptronic is very smooth. I can drive through the twisty roads on my way home as if I was driving a 330i. The X3 also exhibits less understeer as compared to my M3. Lesser tires, but has driving force on the front wheels. Body roll is minimal, and very impressive for an SUV. And the brakes are just AWESOME. Somehow, I feel that the X3 brakes harder than my M3.

I don't really like the front headlights, and the interior door panel and dash looks and feels cheap. Those are my only complaints.

Rear storage space is also no problem, Ayn and I were able to haul a lawn mower, edger, blower, cable, and other stuff without problems.

For the same amount of money, can you buy another SUV with more amenities and luxury? YES.. most definitely. But, can you find another small ute that exhibits great road car like handling? Maybe, but the X3 definitely exceeded my expectation in the driving experience and handling department.

For the record, I've driven extensively, and on long road trips, the X5 4.4 w/sports package, X5 3.0 sport and non sport, and Lexus RX300. I have not driven the Infinity FX or other Japanese luxury SUV's, which I'm pretty sure are much better bang for the buck for the average population who aren't really into the driving experience and involvement with a car/suv/truck etc.
and the saddest part?

that the 325xiT handles better, stops better, and is faster.

and if i had an opportunity to have purchased the 330iT that is available in the UK, i surely would have one.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote