carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-03-2021, 10:47 AM   #61
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Some updates:

After some discussion, the family was up in arms about the idea of selling the M3. More importantly, my wife pretty much forbid considering selling the M3 until at the very least the GTS is a sure thing. She did not care about the potential hit for having missed the peak of the market. She was concerned about me being unhappy about a potentially extended period of time without a fun car, and she didn't agree with my postulation that in the future, as the kids may need or take the GTI, I'd go back to needing a commuter and potentially getting an EV. Her question was, will that EV be less than having kept the M3? I answered that it was extremely unlikely. She thought that was dumb. OK. Let's just say that the possibility of M3+GTS is higher now.

In the meantime, she is on board with getting a hold of an allocation for a new GTS. I think the thought of a Zuffenhausen delivery with time in the south of France in a GTS is making her happy. We'll see if that works out given Covid.

In the meantime, in proper FC waffle form, I need thoughts on configs.

Option 1 - The Luxo-sport build. White or red exterior with the GTS interior and Premium pkg. Leather/Race-Tex and adaptive seats. I am considering overriding the Race-Tex (Alcantara) steering wheel and shifter for leather. I had a bad experience with the ZHP.

Option 2 - The luxo-elegant build. GT Silver with Espresso leather with top to match + silver seatbelts. Otherwise, the same build, except probably silver-painted wheels.

Here are some shots of the two interiors and the three exteriors. I do wonder about painting the roll bars. Also, if even in GT Silver should the wheels be black, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carrara White 1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	13837  Click image for larger version

Name:	Carrara White 2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	381.6 KB
ID:	13838  Click image for larger version

Name:	Guards Red 1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	437.8 KB
ID:	13839  Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Int 1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	458.7 KB
ID:	13841  Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Int 2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	386.7 KB
ID:	13842  

Name:	GT Silver 1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	13843  Click image for larger version

Name:	GT Silver 2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	13844  Click image for larger version

Name:	Espresso Int 1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	450.7 KB
ID:	13845  Click image for larger version

Name:	Espresso Int 2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	368.6 KB
ID:	13846  Click image for larger version

Name:	Guards Red 2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	13847  

Last edited by FC; 10-03-2021 at 11:21 AM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:14 AM   #62
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
Your wife is smart.

I like Option 2 a lot more. Silver is a classic Porsche color for a reason. I don't love painted wheels and am not sure how long that trend is going to last. The Espresso interior looks nice, but I am not sure about it with a silver exterior. I would not paint the roll bars.

Agree strongly on deleting Race-Tex. I have alcantara on my S4 and the wear properties are not good. I'd imagine that problem would be made worse in an open top car.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:52 AM   #63
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
It's a personal thing.

For me, silver over brown just does not look right. It seems to be popular but it's not to my taste. Same thing with black wheels. Not my thing, but it definitely comes in and out of fashion. Silver seat belts are a hard pass for me. Painted roll bars always look silly to me.

I am on the fence about getting ventilated seats, but if I were planning to order a Boxster they would be a must. I have them in the truck and absolutely love them. I imagine they'd be even better in a hot convertible.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:54 PM   #64
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
White / coco
Old 10-03-2021, 03:11 PM   #65
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
I can first hand say that got works very well with Espresso. If I was ordering, I'd do aventurine, as it just a little more interesting than GT but still subtle and understated. My personal color ranking if buying new would be aventurine, midnight blue, white, agate, gt

Is Espresso in the boxster porsche natural leather like it is on the 911? If so it's a whole lot nicer than their standard leather. Do a search on here. I shared some info before about the natural leather process vs their standard.

The heated/ventilated 18 ways are really nice and the ventilation blows well.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:17 PM   #66
FC
Solving problems

The GTS Interior precludes ventilated seats (has to do with race-tex). The Espresso seats allow it.

I had white/cocoa and loved it and would be ok with white/espresso.

There is also white with Black/Bordeaux Red interior.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	White+Espresso.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	13848  Click image for larger version

Name:	White+Blackred.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	361.7 KB
ID:	13849  Click image for larger version

Name:	White+Blackred 2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	13850  Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackred Imterior.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	13851  

Last edited by FC; 10-03-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:40 PM   #67
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
The GTS Interior precludes ventilated seats (has to do with race-tex). The Espresso seats allow it.

I had white/cocoa and loved it and would be ok with white/espresso.
White/espresso would be a really nice color combo but what color would you get for the roof I would think brown but then the black wheels might look out of place and you would need to get silver wheels

One thing I don't like with the GTS seats is the logo in the headrest, I like a headrest that has no edge's or seams where my head sits, I have good hair especially in the back and I notice the Porsche Logo on my Cayman's headrest is noticeable/slightly annoying against my head sometimes.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:42 PM   #68
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I can first hand say that got works very well with Espresso. If I was ordering, I'd do aventurine, as it just a little more interesting than GT but still subtle and understated. My personal color ranking if buying new would be aventurine, midnight blue, white, agate, gt

Is Espresso in the boxster porsche natural leather like it is on the 911? If so it's a whole lot nicer than their standard leather. Do a search on here. I shared some info before about the natural leather process vs their standard.

The heated/ventilated 18 ways are really nice and the ventilation blows well.
Yes, Espresso is the really nice natural leather. I am actually perfectly fine and have no problem with a loud bright color. The family vetoed yellow and I suspect would not want python either. But it is a sportscar, so I want a bright color. White counts. Silver is already borderline for me, so I am ok going to white/espresso. I would not consider greys or dark blues. I'd be open to gentian blue, but I feel like I need to see it in person.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:43 PM   #69
FC
Solving problems

This thread has some interesting combinations.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...combos-21.html
Old 10-03-2021, 03:44 PM   #70
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
White/espresso would be a really nice color combo but what color would you get for the roof I would think brown but then the black wheels might look out of place and you would need to get silver wheels

One thing I don't like with the GTS seats is the logo in the headrest, I like a headrest that has no edge's or seams where my head sits, I have good hair especially in the back and I notice the Porsche Logo on my Cayman's headrest is noticeable/slightly annoying against my head sometimes.
Espresso would definitely get an espresso top and silver wheels.