carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 09-22-2021, 04:23 PM   #21
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
there's something about the giant wheels that makes these look smaller than they actually are.
And the smaller wheels make the wheel wells look huge, aka lifted look. There really is no middle ground on any current X vehicle.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:47 PM   #22
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Congrats!
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:23 PM   #23
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Not quite sure you would need to avoid them just be careful if you are concerned about certain options.

Our 2021 M340 & M550 came with all the options ordered. While the X3 was missing those items on the passenger seat everything else we ordered came with it (and it was a pretty loaded car), also I find the passengers seat very comfortable and I don't even notice these things are missing.

What I am seeing though on the 2022 models some options are unavailable which hopefully is for the short term but who knows
Ha my wife would notice missing lumbar on the passenger seat. We rented an Audi Q5 and I guess the base trim doesn't have lumbar on the passenger side either. I had never seen that in a German car before (in the past Porsche/Audi/MB/BMW have tended to give the driver and passenger seats the same adjustments so I was surprised). Anyway she mentioned it a few times and I said "i'm sure it's there". Now I know...
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:17 PM   #24
SCA
Jaded

Took delivery this PM, 7 miles after the PDI. Our CA and long-time family friend advised us that BMW recently removed the surround view from the 540 and that he had a priority one upgrade to a 550 solely to gain it. Crazy…

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Congrats!
Thanks even though it is not mine.

Last edited by SCA; 09-22-2021 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:12 AM   #25
SCA
Jaded

I just read this morning that BMW has recently omitted the HUD from the X3 Premium Pkg and apparently yesterday deleted Sirius/XM and HD radio without any notification to those that have orders currently being built or waiting to be built. Needless to say there are a lot of pissed off customers that are now seeking to cancel their orders. I do not blame them… Fortunately no standard features nor those that we optioned were omitted. At least as far as we know. lol

Tanzanite in the sun….

I am doing the delivery detail versus the center. Attempting to avoid swirls prior to PPF and ceramic coating install. Interior detail completed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FD3E0D9E-A8D5-4451-A700-EEC5ECF025B8.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	13819  Click image for larger version

Name:	15BADBFF-3BA8-491C-B8FB-DFB1435F08AA.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	13820  Click image for larger version

Name:	97755A6D-EDD0-4605-BE7B-DDADD4C808A1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	13821  

Last edited by SCA; 09-24-2021 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:59 AM   #26
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
I just read this morning that BMW has recently omitted the HUD from the X3 Premium Pkg and apparently yesterday deleted Sirius/XM and HD radio without any notification to those that have orders currently being built or waiting to be built. Needless to say there are a lot of pissed off customers that are now seeking to cancel their orders. I do not blame them… Fortunately no standard features nor those that we optioned were omitted. At least as far as we know. lol
This probably belongs in one of the other threads, but I wonder how much penalty today's decontented cars will take on the secondary market in future years compared to their counterparts. Not referring to BMWs specifically, but across the board to new cars that are being built with less than a full spec because of the chip shortage.

Tanzanite in the sun….

I am doing the delivery detail versus the center. Attempting to avoid swirls prior to PPF and ceramic coating install. Interior detail completed.[/quote]

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:01 AM   #27
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
This probably belongs in one of the other threads, but I wonder how much penalty today's decontented cars will take on the secondary market in future years compared to their counterparts. Not referring to BMWs specifically, but across the board to new cars that are being built with less than a full spec because of the chip shortage.

Suggestions as to where?

Per the automotive media this will continue to be an issue for all manufactures well into the 2023 model year. Tons of uncertainly how owners of 2021+ model years will be penalized later on.

Update: HUD has been removed from everything BUT the upper end BMW models.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:49 AM   #28
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Suggestions as to where?

Per the automotive media this will continue to be an issue for all manufactures well into the 2023 model year. Tons of uncertainly how owners of 2021+ model years will be penalized later on.

Update: HUD has been removed from everything BUT the upper end BMW models.
It’s one thing to completely remove these features and another to do an IOU for a later install/program. Seems they should really do the latter so as not to devalue almost every car they build during this period.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:02 AM   #29
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:

Tanzanite in the sun….

I am doing the delivery detail versus the center. Attempting to avoid swirls prior to PPF and ceramic coating install. Interior detail completed.
A) Love the tanzanite blue! Have had that on my list as possible color if/when we get another new BMW.

B) Really like your fathers X3. My parents got a current-gen X3 a couple of years ago and it’s amazing how far they have come. For comparison - my parents also used to own a 1st year, 1st gen X3 way back in the day (the one with the grey plastic bumpers) so they’ve definitely experienced the evolution of that model. They also got the 4cyl which was a first for them since maybe E23/E30 days and my dad likes it.

C) As much as many of us like to shit on current BMW models, I think they have a really competitive lineup right now of X3/X5/X7. All 3 look great in my opinion, drive well, good tech, etc. Guess it’s a sign of the times.

D) de-contenting & missing features - not sure how much people will care ultimately, a lot of the features that are being kept out are nice to have toys but don’t seem like things that will impact reliability or performance. I’m sure there will be the detail oriented forum types that will know what to look for though and word will spread through those communities, but they’re a small slice of the pie.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:16 AM   #30
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
It’s one thing to completely remove these features and another to do an IOU for a later install/program. Seems they should really do the latter so as not to devalue almost every car they build during this period.
It may not be so easy to retrofit some (many?) of decontented vehicles. If they knew a vehicle was not going to get X, they may not have installed Component A instead of Component B somewhere else.

If they weren't going to have the chip to process parking sensor input, they may have installed the regular bumper cover instead of the one with the sensors, it may have gotten Console Cover A without the parking sensor disable switch instead of Console Cover B and the switch...plus the harness for the switch.

In other cases, it may be as simple as a brief dealer visit that's simple enough for the lowest skilled person in the service department to take care of in five minutes...but even that's time the manufacturer has to pay for.

If I was a manufacturer, I'd much prefer to give credits/refunds for what didn't make it into the car before I'd think about retrofitting. It will be way cheaper in the long run (assuming no successful class action happens...which probably will) and much, much simpler.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote