carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority > Spit Shined

Old 04-27-2021, 01:55 PM   #11
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
paint correction = polish, right? IDK I'm pretty sure most full details wouldn't run over $1000
"Paint correction" is fixing flaws in the paint (generally the clear coat). Swirls, scratches, marring, hazing, etc. It might be doable with just a polish or it might also need compounding.

You can correct paint without doing all the other stuff I listed in the post just above, but the correction may not be as high quality and whatever coating or sealant you put on next may not perform as well.

"Full detail" is kind of less descriptive than "full coverage" in the context of auto insurance coverage or trying to decipher what people claim to have paid for a car when they list all the different line items to get there. (Does it include tax? Does it include dealer fees? Does it include card earnings? Does it include private offer/rebates? Etc)

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 02:08 PM   #12
dan
redefined

wash, claybar, wash, paint prep, polish, wax all painted surfaces
Old 09-22-2021, 10:38 AM   #13
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
This is fascinating. I did not know the ceramic was almost like another clear coat layer on top of the clear coat and car paint.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:48 AM   #14
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
This is fascinating. I did not know the ceramic was almost like another clear coat layer on top of the clear coat and car paint.
If you think of it like that, you may be disappointed. If you think of it more as a protective coating for the clearcoat against normal handling (bird droppings, washing with a dirty rag, bird droppings, hard water spots, etc) that makes the car easier to wash and tends to enhance gloss or shine, you'll be happier.

Something that would chip your paint without it will almost certainly chip your paint with it.

Also, FWIW, ceramics can be applied on top of PPF (you would not put PPF on top of a ceramic...you would remove the ceramic beforehand) and that's probably the highest end way to go.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:54 AM   #15
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
If you think of it like that, you may be disappointed. If you think of it more as a protective coating for the clearcoat against normal handling (bird droppings, washing with a dirty rag, bird droppings, hard water spots, etc) that makes the car easier to wash and tends to enhance gloss or shine, you'll be happier.

Something that would chip your paint without it will almost certainly chip your paint with it.

Also, FWIW, ceramics can be applied on top of PPF (you would not put PPF on top of a ceramic...you would remove the ceramic beforehand) and that's probably the highest end way to go.
I think they put ceramic on top of the PPF which I….guess is fine.

Compared to the $1700, my PFF install seems inexpensive ($2500) and they did a very, very nice job. They covered the rear hips, behind the rear wheels, the rockers, and the entire front end with not cut lines visible.

That said, I am fascinated by this ceramic thing for prolonged protection from the elements.

When you live on the East Coast, you never appreciate how ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING Los Angeles air is and how much particulate matter there is in the air. When you wash your car, it is pointless because a layer of soot covers the car within hours.

It’s like living in Mordor.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:20 AM   #16
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
...it is pointless because a layer of soot covers the car within hours.

FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:18 PM   #17
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:

When you live on the East Coast, you never appreciate how ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING Los Angeles air is and how much particulate matter there is in the air. When you wash your car, it is pointless because a layer of soot covers the car within hours.

Growing up in AZ, you’d be amazed at how much more particulates are in the air than in LA. Much of it is natural and due to the way desert climates pick up dust. But then there’s the smog aspect and occasional wildfire smoke.

I used to never wash my car if I had an upcoming trip — instead, I’d wait until I got back since the car would pick up an amazing thick layer of dry guck when sitting at the airport. In the covered garage…
Old 09-22-2021, 03:47 PM   #18
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Growing up in AZ, you’d be amazed at how much more particulates are in the air than in LA. Much of it is natural and due to the way desert climates pick up dust. But then there’s the smog aspect and occasional wildfire smoke.

I used to never wash my car if I had an upcoming trip — instead, I’d wait until I got back since the car would pick up an amazing thick layer of dry guck when sitting at the airport. In the covered garage…
This might happen in NYC (soot) and there’s pollen in DC or BOS. But I swear we don’t have smog like this.

I bet on autopsy tons of LA folks have black lungs.

Old 09-22-2021, 03:55 PM   #19
Alan
Carmudgeon

Okay quick update to my sons experience with this ... the car was left parked next to the sprinklers in early summer and it seems the water drop spots will not come out. The detailers said the water from the sprinklers caused this which is ridiculous this coating can't take water drops sitting on it.

Long story my son is having the coating removed as he is done trying to maintain this ... if his car was garaged 'maybe' it is worth getting but I know I will not be doing this to any of my future cars unless I did it myself like Clyde did.

Quote:

Compared to the $1700, my PFF install seems inexpensive ($2500) and they did a very, very nice job. They covered the rear hips, behind the rear wheels, the rockers, and the entire front end with not cut lines visible.
You hit the perfect parts to PPF, that is exactly where my stone chips come from, especially the rear hips ... good move

My big worry with PPF is that they will leave razor cuts in the paint, it also bothers me they need to remove the headlights and front bumper to avoid seams at least that is what I had read online though if I were to get another brand new sports car I think I would have it done after a lot of research on who does excellent work.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:50 PM   #20
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
This might happen in NYC (soot) and there’s pollen in DC or BOS. But I swear we don’t have smog like this.

I bet on autopsy tons of LA folks have black lungs.
The soot in parts of NYC and North Nj is horrific. It covers our houses, cars and lungs. There are no diesel standards for heavy vehicles in NJ.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote