carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-26-2016, 02:49 PM   #561
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

S2000s are already trending upwards. Not two years ago, a nice example was sitting around $10,000; while there are still a bunch of cars in that range, there seems to be a trend of aspirational owners/dealers pushing the envelope to $20k+.

E36 and E46 M3s are doing alright at the moment, and I think the E36 might be "safe" for a while yet...but E46s seem to be close to their nadir. It's tough to find one for less than $15k equipped with a stick. Remember when the E46 was panned for not being a "real M3?" Well, according to common knowledge, those are now the "last of the real M3s."

What's even more surprising is how well the current muscle cars are holding up. '05+ Mustangs, and particularly anything from the '10+ Camaro/Mustang era are selling for way more than I would expect.

Not sure why I know these things. Must be spending too much time on craigslist.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:02 PM   #562
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
I would be tempted to get a E46 M3 if I find a clean comp package one in a decent color with a stick. Basically the original one I had a deposit on but backed out of
Jeff_DML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:15 PM   #563
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I'm already seeing good E36 M3s sell for (not list for, but sell for) higher than they did a few years ago. Even cars that are not low-mileage garage queens. I have to think the E46 M3 will do the same because it's more of a "real M car" than the E36 was.

I've mentioned this before but 3rd gen RX-7s are starting to go crazy. What about the 300ZX Twin Turbo? I always wanted one. C4 Corvette ZR-1 seems obvious.
Maybe add Supra to that list except that the Supras never really bottomed out?

The 87 Mustang GT at the beginning of this thread went for close to it's original MSRP. I wonder where the 4th gen F-bodies are.

Part of it for me, I think (maybe not, I don't know), is if I were driving down a suburban street and saw someone washing or working on a car, or something parked on the street in a trendy part of town...am I going to think, "Oooh...that's nice." It's clear what some of those kinds of cars are. There are others I can't imagine thinking that about.

I don't think there are many cars made outside of the 1960s that will ever do that for me. Plenty of cars outside that time period that I find highly desirable, but as their prices go up, my interest tends to go down.

JST and others have mentioned several times tracking what new cars 40-50 year old men lusted after as high schoolers.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:18 PM   #564
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Back when I had my Grand Prix, I came this close to putting down a deposit on a C5, and then on an E46 M3. I eventually ordered a 330Ci, then canceled after I ran into a bunch of loudmouths on Roadfly (one named "TD..." whatever happened to that guy) and found an off-lease E36. I don't regret losing the 330, and the '99 and subsequent '88 were both awesome...but I wonder if I'd enjoy an E46 now?
Old 09-26-2016, 03:20 PM   #565
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

4th-gen F-bodies are still relatively cheap, but most of them have been rode hard. The clean SSs and Firehawks, and to some extent WS-6s, are pricey. In between those extremes, though, there's plenty of fun to be had for a reasonable amount of money.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:24 PM   #566
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Maybe add Supra to that list except that the Supras never really bottomed out?

The 87 Mustang GT at the beginning of this thread went for close to it's original MSRP. I wonder where the 4th gen F-bodies are.

Part of it for me, I think (maybe not, I don't know), is if I were driving down a suburban street and saw someone washing or working on a car, or something parked on the street in a trendy part of town...am I going to think, "Oooh...that's nice." It's clear what some of those kinds of cars are. There are others I can't imagine thinking that about.

I don't think there are many cars made outside of the 1960s that will ever do that for me. Plenty of cars outside that time period that I find highly desirable, but as their prices go up, my interest tends to go down.

JST and others have mentioned several times tracking what new cars 40-50 year old men lusted after as high schoolers.
I'm not THAT much younger than you, but the cars that make me turn my head when I see them are early '90s Japanese "supercars" and clean C4 Corvettes. MkIV Supras are still hideous to me, and given that and what they cost (they never really got cheap) that's probably a good thing.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:54 PM   #567
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
This discussion made me go back and find some of the old Car and Driver archive 'Best Handling' articles from the late 80s through 2000s...
Thinking specically about this article:
[/url]

Then I came across this interior shot from a z28 in 1984. Holy Shit.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:54 PM   #568
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:

This.

Oh, and that z28 interior.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:30 PM   #569
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I'm not THAT much younger than you, but the cars that make me turn my head when I see them are early '90s Japanese "supercars" and clean C4 Corvettes. MkIV Supras are still hideous to me, and given that and what they cost (they never really got cheap) that's probably a good thing.
The 90s Japanese supercars never really did it for me. At least not the same way. The 60s cars have an emotional connection. The 90s Japanese stuff is more cerebral.

I don't know why.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:08 PM   #570
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
The 90s Japanese supercars never really did it for me. At least not the same way. The 60s cars have an emotional connection. The 90s Japanese stuff is more cerebral.

I don't know why.
v8 noises.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote