carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-22-2017, 10:00 PM   #1
Alan
Carmudgeon

Test drove the 991.2

This deserves its own thread

Just came back from a test drive of a base 991.2. First impression is the car is significantly quieter though with the sport exhaust on you still get the gurgles and burbles ... in fact you here them more then you do the engine since the engine is so quiet. I’m not quite sure if I am describing this right, you hear the burbles clearer because you don’t hear engine noise though the burbles seem more muted then my car.

In my car the engine is louder and with the sport exhaust it gets even more so. When I rip though the gears my car feels very visceral .. you feel and hear the engine and exhaust which I didn’t get that feeling with the 991.2 though it was just a test drive maybe living with it and driving it more I might get that feeling.

The steering on the 991.2 is a little heavier, tighter and is quicker off center where mine has a little more play off center. Overall it is improved and feels better then mine

The 991.2 base is faster than my 991.1 S and the pdk shifts insanely fast (first pdk 991 I ever drove) ... like WOW it shifts so fast in sport plus mode it feels like it is slamming into the next gear, it is pretty incredible. With that said off the line it is really disappointing because when you hit the pedal the car crawls off the line for a couple of seconds until the turbo kicks in and then it is fast as hell, The speed is way more then anyone needs for the road but that lag

The interior is also a little updated though I only played around a little bit, this car had the 18 way seats and they are tighter around the body than the 14 way seats I have but I do prefer my seats.

After the test drive I got back into my car and really enjoyed the NA engine which is weird because i’m not the type to prefer one over the other normally but in this case I really love how my car pulls through the gears and feels on the upper end.

By the way they are discounting them 5% off msrp which is much better then I got on my car but then again I got one of the first 7speed manuals made in the US

Overall it is an awesome car and I would be happy with one but I do feel it is a step in the direction kind of like bmw has been doing where the newer car does feel like it is losing some of that drivers connection compared to the prior model.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote