carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-20-2020, 03:26 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Lots of Germans on this list

https://www.autoblog.com/photos/phot...#slide-2279262

73% depreciation after 5 years for a 7er. Yikes.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:43 PM   #2
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
yeah I saw that
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:56 PM   #3
Nick M3
Relic

It's probably worth looking at what they were selling for new. It's not really depreciation if people were buying them for $10-20k off sticker.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
It's probably worth looking at what they were selling for new. It's not really depreciation if people were buying them for $10-20k off sticker.
That's fair. But while I can see that on the 7er I am not so sure that's the case in a 5er or an X3. But that's just a guess.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:06 PM   #5
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
That's fair.
I'm looking at the A6 in particular, which I believe my parents bought for about $15k off.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:11 PM   #6
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I'm looking at the A6 in particular, which I believe my parents bought for about $15k off.
Damn!
Old 11-21-2020, 11:08 AM   #7
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Lots of Germans on this list

Quote:
That's fair. But while I can see that on the 7er I am not so sure that's the case in a 5er or an X3. But that's just a guess.

You can get 10% off basically any new BMW except a few of the rarer models (M2) + $2k-$5k of misc. incentives (loyalty, lease or APR credits, etc.) so you need to keep that in mind when looking at depreciation. 7er and 8er also get “flagship” money which is BMW-to-dealer $$ in the trunk which really means a good deal on those is probably 15-18% off before the incentives.

No matter how you slice it, BMW resale isn’t as strong as old days but it’s not as bad as it looks unless you’re one of the few to pay close to MSRP.

That being said, BMW still maintains strong lease residuals on most models which makes leasing even more attractive in my opinion.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #8
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
And it isn't like those models are going to become cult classics and start going up in value. You used to be able to get E30s for cheap, then when those started going up, E36s.The E46 M models (and lately the ZHP) have gone up, and the older E30/E36 models have either become insanely priced (for good-to-excellent examples) or either de-converted track rats or "needs some work and extensive rust repair, ran when parked 10 years ago" cars. I like the E46 because aside from its looks, it was the last of the BMWs where you could do all of the stuff I did (Euro mods, etc.) without going and having everything re-coded, or worse yet not being able to do them at all.

The original X3 must have fared even worse because it wasn't a "real" BMW, being designed and built by Magna Steyr. And it had those awful Rubbermaid bumpers.

For those who don't remember my E46 wagon (click the pic for more info):

That pretty much did it for me, BMW-wise. I still have it and other than having a phase of going through CV joints (all but the first replaced under parts warranty), the usual window regulators, and a recent service which involved replacing pretty much everything between the radiator and engine block due to increasing coolant leaks from multiple places (BMW's cheap plastic) and a DTML pump, it has been well behaved for 18+ years now.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 12:32 PM   #9
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
You can get 10% off basically any new BMW except a few of the rarer models (M2) + $2k-$5k of misc. incentives (loyalty, lease or APR credits, etc.) so you need to keep that in mind when looking at depreciation. 7er and 8er also get “flagship” money which is BMW-to-dealer $$ in the trunk which really means a good deal on those is probably 15-18% off before the incentives.

No matter how you slice it, BMW resale isn’t as strong as old days but it’s not as bad as it looks unless you’re one of the few to pay close to MSRP.

That being said, BMW still maintains strong lease residuals on most models which makes leasing even more attractive in my opinion.

Yep. Studies like this would probably be more useful if they calculated based on average transaction price rather than msrp. The inflated MSRPs of Bmws are great from a leasing perspective though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 12:50 PM   #10
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy View Post
And it isn't like those models are going to become cult classics and start going up in value. You used to be able to get E30s for cheap, then when those started going up, E36s.The E46 M models (and lately the ZHP) have gone up, and the older E30/E36 models have either become insanely priced (for good-to-excellent examples) or either de-converted track rats or "needs some work and extensive rust repair, ran when parked 10 years ago" cars. I like the E46 because aside from its looks, it was the last of the BMWs where you could do all of the stuff I did (Euro mods, etc.) without going and having everything re-coded, or worse yet not being able to do them at all.

The original X3 must have fared even worse because it wasn't a "real" BMW, being designed and built by Magna Steyr. And it had those awful Rubbermaid bumpers.

For those who don't remember my E46 wagon (click the pic for more info):

That pretty much did it for me, BMW-wise. I still have it and other than having a phase of going through CV joints (all but the first replaced under parts warranty), the usual window regulators, and a recent service which involved replacing pretty much everything between the radiator and engine block due to increasing coolant leaks from multiple places (BMW's cheap plastic) and a DTML pump, it has been well behaved for 18+ years now.

My mom had a facelift 1st gen x3. I was a bit disdainful of it at the time but ended up buying it from her when it was 10 years old and keeping it a year. In retrospect, it was one of the overall best Bmws that myself or family have owned. Solidly built with no rattles, sweet n52 3.0 engine that was an improvement over the m54, super comfortable, classic bmw steeerubg feel, boxy practicality and solid reliability. The facelift also addressed the black plastic bumpers. I think the fact that it was based on the e46 helped - by the time this car rolled off the line bmw had over 10 years experience refining that platform. The looks grew on me over time.

I replaced it with a second gen x3 35i. While built by bmw, the quality was atrocious with rubber maid plastics and lots of rattles. The drivetrain abd steering also weren’t as good as the 1st gen. I should’ve just kept that 1st gen and run it into the ground.

I actually think magna does a better job of assembling cars than some of the manufacturers do. The current jaguar I-pace and e-pace are both built by magna and have higher jd power scores than their jlr built brethren. Plus they build the g wagen which is reknowned for its build quality. Any Mercedes built car I’ve sat in recently is a creaky squeaky mess in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote