carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-12-2019, 03:44 PM   #171
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Nice
Thanks. No doubt the Model 3 would be more thrilling to drive and far more futuristic, but many aspects of this trip required good old ICE. 3 fill-ups over 900 miles, 2 of the fill-ups in remote locations in Vermont... 0F starts, idles and drives... Tiny border crossing roads and foray into rural Quebec.

Did I miss the Macan turbo? Not really from a driving perspective. I did like its front seat luxury, that was unbeatable. I didn't miss the mpg's, would have average 21 instead of 28. I didn't miss its width (turned out the ski village had tight parking). I didn't miss its driving dynamics (they are far from bad, but I actually have fun in a sporty 3-series, just like the old days).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:51 PM   #172
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Thanks. No doubt the Model 3 would be more thrilling to drive and far more futuristic, but many aspects of this trip required good old ICE. 3 fill-ups over 900 miles, 2 of the fill-ups in remote locations in Vermont... 0F starts, idles and drives... Tiny border crossing roads and foray into rural Quebec.

Did I miss the Macan turbo? Not really from a driving perspective. I did like its front seat luxury, that was unbeatable. I didn't miss the mpg's, would have average 21 instead of 28. I didn't miss its width (turned out the ski village had tight parking). I didn't miss its driving dynamics (they are far from bad, but I actually have fun in a sporty 3-series, just like the old days).

The devils advocate argument is that you could own the Tesla 3 and rent a vehicle for a weekend trip like this.

That aside, this post summed up a lot of things. ICE vehicles still matter. I knew you’d hate the Macan. And Vermont is still mostly rural.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:15 PM   #173
TD
Founder emeritus

Consolidating? What’s that?

(On a rare occasion just now when all 5 cars are out front.)

TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:28 PM   #174
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Does the 5 get driven at all?
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:31 PM   #175
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Does the 5 get driven at all?

Nope. Battery is usually dead. Like right now.

But owning it lets us save a lot on insurance as our daughter is listed as the primary driver. That alone is worth leaving it parked outside.

I jump it every couple of months and take it through the car wash so it’s not a huge eyesore.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #176
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post

But owning it lets us save a lot on insurance as our daughter is listed as the primary driver. That alone is worth leaving it parked outside.

I jump it every couple of months and take it through the car wash so it’s not a huge eyesore.
I'm not looking forward to insuring a young driver. Just covering two adults and three cars is enough of a hit.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:50 PM   #177
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Solar powered battery tender.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:27 PM   #178
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I'm not looking forward to insuring a young driver. Just covering two adults and three cars is enough of a hit.
It could get expensive, I was paying over $6k a yr for my son when he was 17 and had the Audi A3.

Now I only pay $2k per child per car.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #179
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:

You're a good guy and a good son .. seriously that is really nice of you to keep that car around for your mom. I know for me it was hard to depart with my dad's cars when it came time. I was just thankful he sold his true baby while he was still around and he felt it was time for it to go to the next owner otherwise I'd have a 1953 car sitting in my garage.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:38 PM   #180
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
It could get expensive, I was paying over $6k a yr for my son when he was 17 and had the Audi A3.

Now I only pay $2k per child per car.
Ack. That would pay for a lot of Uber trips!