carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-27-2020, 02:22 PM   #661
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
So this is starting to get a little more real for us.

I'll start with I'm just not comfortable with the Blue car. Alan, I really appreciate you checking it out for me. Everytime I look at your pics I am uncomfortable with how bright the blue is and I really don't like black interiors. As I've mentioned a few times before, I'm struggling with the P-Car stigma already, and I think the look at me aspect of the blue would make me even more uncomfortable.

There are actually two Silver / Espresso cars available in my price range within a day's drive of our house in the budget range we've set. They each have some pros/cons so I'm interested in hearing people's feedback.
First One (Originally posted above):https://www.westmontporsche.com/used...4f20a3a4bd.htm
Second One:https://www.akronmaserati.com/invent...ca2a97hs142588

The first one (posted above) is a C4 vs the 2nd one which is a standard Carrera. Reality is I wont do any bad weather driving and it will be on summer tires, so I am not sure if the 4wd actually adds anything beneficial. I know you lose trunk space.

The first one had a $144k original sticker vs $125 for the second one. The first one has LCA (valuable) and Sport Chrono (questionable value on a manual) and a bunch of extra leather and stitching (looks nice). The second one has 18 ways (vs 14 ways on the first) and much nicer RS Spyder Wheels. I've asked the first dealership if they'd switch the black wheels on the first one for a silver set of identical design that is on another of their pre-owned inventory cars. I really don't like black rims.

The first one is CPO through 2022, the second one was put into production over a year later (they're both 2017 models but one was built 3/2016, the other 3/2017). and has 15k less miles.

Assuming prices are within $5k of each other, which one would you get and why?
I'm not sure there's a wrong choice here. The CPO would be nice to have, but you're only talking about an extra year of warranty, right? The second one is covered by factory warranty through 3/21?

I'm not a huge fan of the wheels on either one, but agree that the RS Spyder wheels are nicer.

I mean, personally I'd get the blue one, but if you don't like flashy colors, you don't like flashy colors. As between the other two, I'd probably go with the second, given the lower mileage and the fact that the warranty cover isn't that different--and it's the cheaper of the two.

EDIT: You could also look into how much an extended warranty would be from Porsche, since the second one is still under factory cover; I think you can do that (at least you could a number of years ago). Probably won't cost more than the difference in price between the two.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:43 PM   #662
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Would the RWD one be less expensive to maintain?
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:24 PM   #663
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Would the RWD one be less expensive to maintain?
Oh, I didn't even notice the C2 v. C4 thing. I would definitely get the C2.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:28 PM   #664
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
That's a great point, re: the new car warranty. I priced out fidelty platinum extended warranties a couple weeks ago when looking at the blue one, and they're cheap (Like $3k for 3 more years cheap).
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:54 PM   #665
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
How much do you plan on driving it? IMO, if the car is driven less than 5k miles a year, the $3k may be on the expensive side. Porsches are pretty reliable and that's a newish car.

Everyone was freaking out about the LR4, which is not exactly reliable, but I knew $3k+ for just two more years was a lot for a car I'd drive 10-15k miles in that time. I passed and never had an issue.

$3k pays for a decent amount of work. Just a thought. But I understand that peace of mind is worth a lot.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:25 PM   #666
Josh (PA)
Hello.

To FC's point, I don't know if I'd buy an extended warranty, but it is nice to know they're out there.

It's funny... I posted the same questions on Rennlist and their feedback was 100% C4 (but with caveats like the c2 is more fun). Here its 100% C2.

I am 50/50 on each of them right now and pricing is within $500 so far. Why can't anything just be easy.

I reached out to both dealers. The Akron (C2) salesguy seems much more professional/less obnoxious. The Westmont Porsche dealership has sent me three emails from three different people with different prices / conflicting info and none of the three answered a single question I asked. Plus they tried to video chat me from their desk to tell me 'just how beautiful the car is'... When I didn't answer they emailed me a video of a woman at her desk with a headset on leaving me a voicemail (telling me how pretty the car was).
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 02-27-2020, 06:31 PM   #667
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
To FC's point, I don't know if I'd buy an extended warranty, but it is nice to know they're out there.

It's funny... I posted the same questions on Rennlist and their feedback was 100% C4 (but with caveats like the c2 is more fun). Here its 100% C2.

I am 50/50 on each of them right now and pricing is within $500 so far. Why can't anything just be easy.

I reached out to both dealers. The Akron (C2) salesguy seems much more professional/less obnoxious. The Westmont Porsche dealership has sent me three emails from three different people with different prices / conflicting info and none of the three answered a single question I asked. Plus they tried to video chat me from their desk to tell me 'just how beautiful the car is'... When I didn't answer they emailed me a video of a woman at her desk with a headset on leaving me a voicemail (telling me how pretty the car was).
Ugh. Really about that Westmont dealer? So cheesy.

Why does Rennlist advocate the C4?
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:34 PM   #668
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:

lol- had a similar experience after test driving an Alfa Romeo. Got lots of bizarre video chat emails from different people. You gotta wonder who comes up with this nonsense.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:34 PM   #669
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Ugh. Really about that Westmont dealer? So cheesy.

Why does Rennlist advocate the C4?
From Rennlist:
"1st one - sport chrono is, in fact, valuable on a MT car. It gives Sport+ mode, which includes dynamic engine mounts and keeps the turbo spooled up better. Makes a difference in spirited driving. Longer warranty - note that the 2nd one should still have balance of factory warranty. You can change the wheels on the 1st one; you can't add leather to the 2nd one. That said, the 4wd will make the C4 understeer more than the C2. Depends on what your most important criteria are..."
"The 144K one. You're concerned with options. For best driving experience the C2."
"The first one. I prefer rhodium silver over GT silver but think that GT silver would go better with espresso interior. The extra leather options would look awesome in espresso. Carerra classics are beautiful wheels. You can always swap wheels later if you want a different look."

So very little material feedback.

On the dealership side, the Alfa guy is quickly winning me over. I sent him an email and with 30 mins got the below response:

Josh,

Thank you for getting back to me, I very much appreciate it! Here are answers to your questions:

1. The vehicle does not have CPO warranty. The in service date is 4/2017 so the vehicle has factory warranty until 4/2021.
2. The convertible top is brown.
3. I do have a carfax for the vehicle. The vehicle is a 1-owner clean carfax with no damage/accidents. I will put the link to the carfax at the bottom of this email for you.
4. I can get you a DME report. I will need to take it to Porsche tomorrow to get that report.
5. I can get all maintenance records from the previous owner tomorrow as well.
6. I do not have any PPI information. if you would like a PPI, the cost would be around $250 in which you would be responsible for.
7. I can get a build sheet from Porsche tomorrow when we get the DME report.

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...&partner=SHR_3

I am working tomorrow from 9:00AM to 6:00PM and I will send you over the DME report, maintenance records, and build sheet when they become available to me. Let me know when you available to have a phone conversation!
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 02-27-2020, 06:44 PM   #670
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Annnnddd I just got an email form westmont that the c4 is sold so that makes this much easier
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3