carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-19-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Consolidating? 340i AWD

Thinking about removing the Macan Turbo and the ole 535i and going into one AWD sedan. I thought about this when I sold the e46 m3 (but then used 340i xdrive prices were very high), I threw caution to the wind and ended up with the JGC diesel. Then I thought about this again in August/September when I started thinking about changing up the JGC. For whatever reason, I did not test drive a 340i.

- I was never in love with the f30 looks, I thought I had a superior (and cheaper because of age) f10 535i. The LCI cures it somewhat. With the right color and wheels, I might not mind the squished front. The only car I love the looks of is the Alfa, but that's out for other reasons.

- I was never in love with the f30 handling. I drove a few over the years, not just the 328i xdrive loaner spec, but also the rare upgraded suspension 335xi, as Fil suggested with this generation, there is hope for AWD bmw's. The car still wasn't compelling, went for a b8.5 s4.

Well, I drove an M adaptive suspension 340i xdrive yesterday. Not a long drive, but I was impressed. Pros:
- Strong pull, the engine feels a bit different and better than the N55
- Much better steering/handling than the pre-LCI f30 or f10 (rwd/adaptive)
- Good seat and driving position

Cons:
- Louder than expected inside. After being used to the 535i and Macan, it felt louder than it should. Did not feel like a luxury car.
- Smaller than expected inside. I wondered how I was so comfortable in 3-series all those years. I guess this is what getting older and softer feels like.

So yes, I'm seriously considering taking a several (at least) K loss on the Macan and selling the 535i as well. Neither of these cars are good trade-ins to the BMW dealer. One is too expensive and Porsche-CPO, and I don't see that value on trade-in. The other is too old, even at 56k miles, and good BMWCCA material (which is where I found it).

I can't really think of competitors. Yes the Alfa looks better, but I really prefer 6-cylinder and manual over either 4-cylinder or any kind of Auto (PDK included). Also, I need to rely on this car at 0F in Northern VT (my twice a year use case, but it matters).

I've gone through most Audis in the land. The b9 s4 does not have manual. The b8.5 doesn't handle as well, feel as smooth (also no roof rack receptacles).

I will comment further on the Macan when I have more time.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #2
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
What are you trying to solve? you hate having two cars or want something different from what those two cars provide?
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:44 PM   #3
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
What are you trying to solve? you hate having two cars or want something different from what those two cars provide?
I haven't put enough miles on the Macan. Only 2100 in five months. Given the value of it and my use case, I can't justify. Would I keep it if I were richer? Probably, but at an emotional level I haven't connected. It is comfortable for two and is fast...

I think I keep buying family cars that keep falling short. In the end, we use C's GTI for the dog and she doesn't have much interest in driving my stuff. If we were misers, we could just get by with the Boxster and her GTI but I like the idea of having something that's not a 2-seater and that I don't mind putting through salt and/or rough roads. I also like to do a ski trip or two (used to be more) per year. It's generally quite an extreme trip, not in terms of skiing, but in terms of driving and snowstorms.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:47 PM   #4
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I haven't put enough miles on the Macan. Only 2100 in five months. Given the value of it and my use case, I can't justify. Would I keep it if I were richer? Probably, but at an emotional level I haven't connected. It is comfortable for two and is fast...

I think I keep buying family cars that keep falling short. In the end, we use C's GTI for the dog and she doesn't have much interest in driving my stuff. If we were misers, we could just get by with the Boxster and her GTI but I like the idea of having something that's not a 2-seater and that I don't mind putting through salt and/or rough roads. I also like to do a ski trip or two (used to be more) per year. It's generally quite an extreme trip, not in terms of skiing, but in terms of driving and snowstorms.
But does it make sense to sell the Macan AND the 535 and get something new? Wouldn't it be better to just sell the 535 and keep the Macan? Or, idk, the Macan a lot more expensive than I am thinking it is?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #5
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
But does it make sense to sell the Macan AND the 535 and get something new? Wouldn't it be better to just sell the 535 and keep the Macan? Or, idk, the Macan a lot more expensive than I am thinking it is?
A Macan Turbo with Certification and mint condition/low miles is not under $50k. I hope to get as much for mine (listed today).

The 535i does not have much value. It will take a few months to sell, Roundel etc, and I don't have to rush it. I'm thinking high teens, but will see if I have to go to mid-teens.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #6
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
yeah that is what I was thinking too. Macan fits the skiing with awd and clearance or you afraid of the salt with it?
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:29 PM   #7
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
yeah that is what I was thinking too. Macan fits the skiing with awd and clearance or you afraid of the salt with it?
Not at all. I've used it in snow and I still will for the remaining part of this winter. The boxster is the only car that I avoid salt with.

I'm just not into it.. Enough... At the price point... Also PDK is not as nice as a manual. I feel safer in a manual but more removed and drifting off a bit in a PDK or an automatic.

The reason I didn't sell the 535i is that I kind of prefer it to the Macan for most of my use. I would feel remiss not having a somewhat sporty sedan, ideally a bmw.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:28 PM   #8
JST

Worth trying the Jaguar F Pace and or the Range Rover Velar?

The 340 is among the last of the AWD manual cars, so getting one now is not a dumb idea
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:52 PM   #9
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Worth trying the Jaguar F Pace and or the Range Rover Velar?

The 340 is among the last of the AWD manual cars, so getting one now is not a dumb idea
I drove the F-Pace (once, non 6-cyl) before purchasing the Macan. It has a touch more space, and it has some minor positives but also has real negatives against the Macan, those two are a toss-up. There is no point at all...

The Velar looks good, but it's a softish SUV from what I read, and not cheap.

I think after haphazard buys and sells, I'm coming around to the reality that

1. I'll keep the Boxster, almost 3 years now, with no plans of replacement. If I were to replace, I'd only go with a 911 or a Cayman or something super similar in any case.

2. C needs her own car, we can't share (if I don't drive every day). I cannot offload my perceived AWD needs on her. If she (and large, lazy Ida) are happy with the GTI. That's fine, I don't mind the GTI, it's just not for me. And an R wouldn't be either.

3. The 340i xdrive will be fun to drive, it really sold me on the road test. Though unmodified 6-speed manuals with track handling package are like hen's teeth. And they will be even more so after a few years.

This will leave some problems unsolved. The 535i suffered a bit in our move as well as our construction materials purchases. No lasting damage, but I do have a picture of it listing under the weights of tile boxes (had to set suspension to stiff just to drive around). The 340i lower fascia, especially with the better suspension, is very low. It will suffer from what the e90 335xi and S4 and all my other cars suffered from. Ice chunks and snow piles.

Still, though, it's the kind of car I've been buying and generally keeping for twenty years, a manual sports sedan.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:37 PM   #10
robg
Carmudgeon

You've owned a nice range of cars in the past few years, so you probably have a much better idea of what you like now. I actually never test drove a 340 - only a 330 xdrive wagon. Have also had many loaner/rental grade 328s. A few small things to check:
-Did you try it on the highway? For some reason, the F30s i've driven have an on-center vagueness while going straight at highway speeds.
-The seats felt much less comfortable to me (coming at the time from a 5 series) but also even compared to the last gen x3.

The engine is great though, and like you, the F30 looks have really grown on me since it was introduced. I'm now not a fan of the new 3 series though i haven't seen one in person.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote