Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
That's a great story.

And the backup power station is genius.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:48 PM   #13
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Very cool, it really looks like it could be one of the killer apps (though Ford has plenty of imagination and experience in how to screw up).

I agree that we seem to have come to a major mile marker on the road.

Last edited by equ; 05-20-2021 at 03:27 PM.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:16 PM   #14
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Fleet maintenance cost plus fuel cost should be way lower than gas trucks and would need to be factored in.
Trust me, it is…. I’ve already asked for a TCO analysis on the Lightning. TCO = total cost to operate and is the annual cost of a lease, fuel, maintenance and repairs….

EVs currently have a huge premium in TCO in North America compared to the ICE vehicles in the fleet. I need “average” sedans, small SUVs and pickups in North America. Once TCO equalizes, its game over for ICE…

Last edited by ZBB; 05-20-2021 at 05:27 PM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:13 PM   #15
JST

Ok, here’s a big but. I mean, like a really big one.

The fucking charging network.

And not even the charging network itself; finding out information about the charging network.

I’m legit intrigued by the Mustang Mach E GT, so I went to see where the Ford compatible fast chargers are.

Ford won’t tell me. Or, idfk, maybe they will if I create an account on the Ford Pass app, but I can’t easily find a web accessible map.

I know FordPass works with a bunch of different charging networks, so it would be easy enough (?) to research which ones and then use the filter on PlugShare to limit its map view to those. But that’s a lot of effort, honestly.

So, whatever. Let’s just go by PlugShare’s info on SAE fast chargers without regard to network.

I’m heading to AC for Memorial Day. How easy would it be for me to get there and back if I decided to get a Mach E?

Well. There’s one SAE fast charger in Atlantic City. Not one station—one plug. And it’s 62 kW, which is slow.

The route up is a little better. There are chargers at Maryland House and Chesapeake House, though they’re also slow 50 kW chargers. There’s another at a Wawa in Delaware that’s an EA with 6 beefy 350 kW chargers, so that’s probably the place to stop. Hope the family likes Dunkin, cause that’s the only other food option.

I’m going to say this over and over and over. The long distance charging experience matters an awful lot. I really hope Ford and Porsche and everyone else wrap their heads around that sooner rather than later.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:21 PM   #16
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

And not even the charging network itself; finding out information about the charging network.

I’m legit intrigued by the Mustang Mach E GT, so I went to see where the Ford compatible fast chargers are.

Ford won’t tell me. Or, idfk, maybe they will if I create an account on the Ford Pass app, but I can’t easily find a web accessible map.

I know FordPass works with a bunch of different charging networks, so it would be easy enough (?) to research which ones and then use the filter on PlugShare to limit its map view to those. But that’s a lot of effort, honestly.

So, whatever. Let’s just go by PlugShare’s info on SAE fast chargers without regard to network.

I’m heading to AC for Memorial Day. How easy would it be for me to get there and back if I decided to get a Mach E?

Well. There’s one SAE fast charger in Atlantic City. Not one station—one plug. And it’s 62 kW, which is slow.

The route up is a little better. There are chargers at Maryland House and Chesapeake House, though they’re also slow 50 kW chargers. There’s another at a Wawa in Delaware that’s an EA with 6 beefy 350 kW chargers, so that’s probably the place to stop. Hope the family likes Dunkin, cause that’s the only other food option.

I’m going to say this over and over and over. The long distance charging experience matters an awful lot. I really hope Ford and Porsche and everyone else wrap their heads around that sooner rather than later.
I agree. The EV infrastructure needs to be “normal” for longer distance trips.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:06 AM   #17
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:

Plugshare is the best charging resource out there right now...

But looking at Mach E info, it really blows that the in-car screen doesn't show charging info. What is Ford using for mapping -- I know that Google has enabled charger-based routing via their API, but I'm not sure which OEMs are using that...

But one question... Are you staying at a hotel in AC? When we road trip, we usually plan to stay at a hotel that has charging. Plug in overnight and you have plenty to use in-town during the stay. I have had 2 times where a charging spot was blocked at a hotel -- first was by a motorcycle, so I backed up to about an inch from the motorcycle's front tire and fortunately had just enough cable to reach the charging port, and the second the hotel called the other guest and asked them to move their car, which they did...

We've had a couple trips where the hotel didn't have charging and having to drive 10-15 min to get to a Supercharger was much less convenient (we had to do that at Disney 18 months ago and in Myrtle Beach almost 3 years ago -- on both trips, we needed to hit the Supercharger a couple times while in town). We're going to the beach near Pensacola in a couple weeks and staying at a hotel with charging since the nearest Superchargers are easily 30-45 min away, and the closest CHAdeMO is maybe 20 min away. Fortunately, we had several options to choose from for destination charging...

Oh... and 50kW L3 chargers really need to get upgraded. 125kW really should be the minimum. When we did one of our early road trips in the Model S, part of our route was not yet Supercharger enabled (it was about 6 months later...), and we used the CHAdeMO adapter for 3 charges on that trip (2 were same day...). Most of our Supercharger stops that trip were in the 30-45 min range (that was in the Model S with the small battery; a stop in the 3 or Y would be 20-25 min max...), but the CHAdeMO stops were over an hour each...
Old 05-21-2021, 08:41 AM   #18
kognito
older fart than ZBB

There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about Ford adding load cells to the trailer hitch that can measure tongue weight and load.

The data collected will be informative (and cute) on ICE models. It will be priceless data for the Lightning to calculate battery usage (range)
Old 05-21-2021, 11:20 AM   #19
JST

No, staying in the inlaws condo. No parking, so have to park on the street. Before Tesla put the supercharger in, I left the car in a garage downtown overnight to charge on a J1772. Could certainly do that again, but it would be annoying to go back to that.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:38 AM   #20
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
No, staying in the inlaws condo. No parking, so have to park on the street. Before Tesla put the supercharger in, I left the car in a garage downtown overnight to charge on a J1772. Could certainly do that again, but it would be annoying to go back to that.
Take the M3?
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote