carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-18-2021, 01:34 PM   #1
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Observation: Merc inline six is a lot like BMW

Just wanted to comment that after owning an E61 for a long time and almost 100,000 miles —that is one of my favorite engines of all time. Not peaky. Pesky, yes. Lot of preventative maintenance.

The M256 engine is almost spot on for the BMW 3.0TT engine (before they moved to a single turbo).

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:36 PM   #2
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Just wanted to comment that after owning an E61 for a long time and almost 100,000 miles —that is one of my favorite engines of all time. Not peaky. Pesky, yes. Lot of preventative maintenance.

The M256 engine is almost spot on for the BMW 3.0TT engine (before they moved to a single turbo).
EDIT: Found the thread where you announced the e53! COngratulations btw.

Our Range ROver sport has a very similar engine - straight six with electric supercharger and I love it. Possibly my favorite engine yet. Really responsive, torquey and smooth. Zero lag . Also makes for a very smooth start/stop system that I dont have to disable. HAve not driven an E53, but I suspect the engine is even better given MB's engineering prowess. I think BMW has finally added a 48V system to their inline sixes on a few models.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:01 PM   #3
lemming
Western Anomaly

That’s cool. I didn’t realize the RRS also uses a straight six. I would like to track back to a RRS at some point. Love the way they look and the interiors are gorgeous.

Old 05-18-2021, 02:24 PM   #4
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
That’s cool. I didn’t realize the RRS also uses a straight six. I would like to track back to a RRS at some point. Love the way they look and the interiors are gorgeous.
Yeah they introduced it halfway through the 2019 model year- initially just on the "HST" models, but later on the regular "HSE" and "SE" models as well. Ours is a 2020 HSE so it has this engine. Worlds better than their old supercharged V6, and actually better than any of my BMW engines (as smooth as my old M54 but even more responsive/torquey than my N55s). Despite the reputation (and complex engine), our RRS has been rock solid (literally- there hasn't even been a single squeak or rattle) so far. I could nitpick about the infotainment system but with Carplay its largely moot. Never been an SUV person but I do love this one - and yeah its the only SUV whose looks i like.

I am glad that more car companies are adopting the inline 6 given that BMW styling has taken a turn for the worse.

Did you post pics of your E53 yet?
Old 05-19-2021, 11:08 AM   #5
lemming
Western Anomaly

I am tempted to take Stuka like photos…..as a joke. But i will post some.

SPOILER: it’s a boring white E class sedan.

Old 05-24-2021, 11:30 AM   #6
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
I am tempted to take Stuka like photos…..as a joke. But i will post some.

SPOILER: it’s a boring white E class sedan.

I actually have not seen a facelift e class much less an e53 in person yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk