carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-10-2004, 05:11 PM   #1
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Shark Injector feedback: people have them long enough now?

do enough people out "there" have feedback, now that the shark injector has been out for awhile, about the Shark Injector?

i mean for the e46s, mainly.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 05:52 PM   #2
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
I like it on my 330, but I do have knocking issues with 91 octane CaliCrapGas.

A little more power, a more aggressive throttle map (though contrary to CW, I think the stock map is more "linear"), and a little more direct. Subtle changes really, except the throttle mapping.

Worth what I paid for it? I'm not all that sure anymore. I'd probably say yes if I wasn't worried about the detonation issues.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:31 PM   #3
The HACK
Crotchety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
I like it on my 330, but I do have knocking issues with 91 octane CaliCrapGas.

A little more power, a more aggressive throttle map (though contrary to CW, I think the stock map is more "linear"), and a little more direct. Subtle changes really, except the throttle mapping.

Worth what I paid for it? I'm not all that sure anymore. I'd probably say yes if I wasn't worried about the detonation issues.
Must be an M54 issue. The old M52Tus don't seem to have any knocking, no matter what I run.

It does run noticibly better with a touch of 100 added. I'll need to get smog'ed in the next few weeks so I'll let y'all know if car passes California smog with the Shark.

• SEMA 2004 • Leadership Matrix has been passed, Ricemus Prime Lives!!!
The HACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 06:42 PM   #4
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
FWIW, the independent mechanic I use hates them. He talks forever about how they remove the rev limiter, disable the spark knock control, so on and so forth. But then the over rev they were complaining about turned out to be a down shift. They also just got a Dinan distributor license, so I am not sure how much the new Dinan bias affects their judgment. I do know that my service writer had the Shark Injector or the chip for his 318 and he took it out b/c he didn't like the way it ran.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 02:05 PM   #5
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
i'm a believer now.

whatever dinan stage 1 software is, that was "okay". it got rid of some of the DBW lag. not all of it. but, looking back, i think they mostly futzed with that potentiometer setting and maybe remapped WOT.

the shark injector really is an impressive remapping of the throttle input/output map.

worth the money if DBW nags you.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 08:50 PM   #6
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
Oh come on, without Shark, your DV run would have been a drag, as you trail behind everyone else doing 128.
True enough!

And as I posted to the SCTS list, I'm now not so sure the detonation issues are the fault of the Shark... rather, I'm getting suspicious that one (or more) of the gas stations I frequent is not really pumping 91 from their 91 pumps.

Old 03-18-2004, 09:03 PM   #7
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Anyone here happen to know exactly what changed from Feb'03 to Mar'03 (when shark is no longer available). Have there been any reviews compariing an early '03 car to a post-Mar'03 car? I'm curious if the DBW may have botten better to worse on the post March'03 cars.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote