carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-13-2015, 07:11 PM   #1111
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
So... Tesla is now shipping the CHAdeMO adapter. They started inviting people from the wait list to order last week, and I recieved my invite today.

Can't make up my mind if I will get it though. I wouldn't use it in daily use, but it would be nice to have for trips to CA or Tucson.

Pros:
- I'd be able to charge at ~40KW, so it's about 4x as fast as charging at home, but less than half the speed of a Supercharger.
- It's also about 7-10x faster than most of the standard AC public chargers (ie J1772).
- There lots of locations, and more being installed (Nissan just announced a plan to put 1000 units in, and BMW/VW/ChargePoint announced 100+ combo SAE/CHAdeMO units going in. So it opens up driving routes outside the supercharger network.

Cons:
- cost - $450 for the adapter, plus fees for charging are typically more than J1772 -- $15-20 per charging session.
- most sites only have one unit -- so higher risk of someone else using it or the unit being broken (especially with the Nissan Branded units)
- supercharger build-out is progressing nicely, with Superchargers avail along most places I'd want to go. About the only big gap is San Diego, but there is now one under construction and another "coming soon" dot on Tesla's plans.

I'm leaning against it, but will think about it over the weekend...
Old 02-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #1112
JST

It sounds like it's going to be a while before they work through the wait list. Can you still get on it?

If so, I'd probably jump on the list and make a decision once your name is called--by then, the SpC network may make it unnecessary.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #1113
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It sounds like it's going to be a while before they work through the wait list. Can you still get on it?

If so, I'd probably jump on the list and make a decision once your name is called--by then, the SpC network may make it unnecessary.
You can probably be added to the list still… Send an email to onlineorders@teslamotors.com and ask...

But… My name has been called -- so its decision time...
Old 02-13-2015, 09:38 PM   #1114
JST

Ah. Didn't realize you were in line.

I'd order it. If you decide you don't need it, you can always sell it.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:14 PM   #1115
ZBB
Relic

I'm going to sleep on it…

If I lived in BC, OR or WA, I'd get it in a heartbeat. There is a great network of CHAdeMO chargers every 50 miles on most major routes.

But in AZ, there are only CHAdeMO units in the Phoenix and Tucson metro areas (and a couple in between -- I guess for the Leaf drivers that decide to try a short trip). I don't need them in town, but the 3 in Tucson would be helpful since the closest Supercharger is in Casa Grande (about 1/2 way between Phoenix and Tucson)…

But there are tons of CHAdeMOs all over CA -- which opens up better destination charging options for trips there. We'll likely spend a week in San Diego or Carlsbad this summer, but there will be Superchargers there by then…
Old 02-16-2015, 10:26 PM   #1116
JST

Lit up in the snow.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:43 PM   #1117
ZBB
Relic

So you got the T Sportline wheels then?

Thoughts?
Old 02-16-2015, 11:18 PM   #1118
JST

No, they're the Rial Luganos. Mounted with snows from Tirerack.

They're fine. The OEM wheels have grown on me such that the Luganos look kind of weird. They look a bit like the stock 21s, but the difference between 19s and 21s means they are a lot less dramatic.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:04 AM   #1119
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
The rear window defogger melting the snow makes it looks like it has totally rad louvers.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:36 AM   #1120
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
No, they're the Rial Luganos. Mounted with snows from Tirerack.

They're fine. The OEM wheels have grown on me such that the Luganos look kind of weird. They look a bit like the stock 21s, but the difference between 19s and 21s means they are a lot less dramatic.
I know what you mean... I've seen the TS and they look off compared to the stock 21s...

The Luganos are on sale right now... Almost ordered a set with the tires. But decided to stay stock...