FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:11 PM   #3
iateyourcheese
Nerd

Carmudgeonly Ride: '87 M3, Subie FXT, Mazda CX-9
My first couple laps this weekend I went back and forth with an e30 325i. Gateway is run partly on the NASCAR oval, with the road course snaking through the infield. I'd pass the e30 easily on the oval but then he'd catch right back up on the twisty parts.
iateyourcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by iateyourcheese View Post
My first couple laps this weekend I went back and forth with an e30 325i. Gateway is run partly on the NASCAR oval, with the road course snaking through the infield. I'd pass the e30 easily on the oval but then he'd catch right back up on the twisty parts.
Hey, whatever. As long as you had fun and learned from it. I still can't believe I've not yet done a HPDE yet.

Maybe when I buy new summer tires next spring I will. Plus my car will be 4 years old by then and I wont have this voice telling me I'm an ass for tracking a "new car."
Old 08-31-2006, 03:26 PM   #5
iateyourcheese
Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Hey, whatever. As long as you had fun and learned from it. I still can't believe I've not yet done a HPDE yet.

Maybe when I buy new summer tires next spring I will. Plus my car will be 4 years old by then and I wont have this voice telling me I'm an ass for tracking a "new car."
There was a brand new Cayman S (Caveman, Detuned, whatever you want to call it) out there with the paper, temporary tag still on it. Beautiful car.

I learned so much it was ridiculous, as did my wife. Unfortunately, it seems doing the DE is going to end up costing a ton of money. The wife had so much fun she now wants a more track suited car of her own.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
There was a brand new Cayman S (Caveman, Detuned, whatever you want to call it) out there with the paper, temporary tag still on it.
Wow.

My apprehension has more to do with the fact that I have no experience in a track than the concept of tracking a new car. But even with experience (speaking as a person with no experience ) I'd still be hesitant, I think. After all, a wall is a wall.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:51 PM   #7
iateyourcheese
Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Wow.

My apprehension has more to do with the fact that I have no experience in a track than the concept of tracking a new car. But even with experience (speaking as a person with no experience ) I'd still be hesitant, I think. After all, a wall is a wall.
I had no experience and it was raining like crazy, so I was rather hesitant as well. It didn't help that an IS300 went into a wall early in the day. The car was driveable but messed up pretty bad.

Would I do it again? I already have my money in for an event in October. My wife has apparently been dreaming of doing laps around the track, so she's ready as well.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:59 PM   #8
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuka View Post
And in the people's republic of MA, no car insurance of any kind covers HPDE. It was put in effect a few years back.

of course, my info could be outdated, and there were some uproar, and this law in question was repealed, but I don't know for sure...
IIRC, the language in my policy rules out timed events, competitive events and driving/training in preparation for such events. So the HPDE loop hole is there, but I've never checked for sure.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:02 PM   #9
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuka View Post
Aren't you married to a lawyer?
Yes, but I've not bothered to have her go through it yet. I will the moment I get serious about signing up.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:19 PM   #10
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
I had no experience and it was raining like crazy, so I was rather hesitant as well. It didn't help that an IS300 went into a wall early in the day. The car was driveable but messed up pretty bad.

Would I do it again? I already have my money in for an event in October. My wife has apparently been dreaming of doing laps around the track, so she's ready as well.
glad you enjoyed gateway!

that's where i learned lots and lots and lots of driving lessons at HPDEs with the BMW and Porsche car clubs.

that's the part about MO that i miss the most, actually. it's so easy to get access to that track.

i think it's a really enjoyable track to drive, personally. although it tends to blister the right front tires because of the high speed oval section, no?

gateway is also where i had a ride with Roland in the red F40. they invite fun people to chair their events. by all means, go to as many as you humanly have the time to do!

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote