carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
TD
Founder emeritus

Ugh!

So over the summer we managed to scrape the bottom of the Audi while pulling out of a parking area along the C&O Canal. The next day we noticed an annoying noise on the interstate and discovered that a small area at the front of the plastic cover covering the underside of the car was dangling and apparently flapping in the highway-speed air. So I cut the dangling piece off. Simple enough. Problem solved.

Or not.

Apparently that opening allowed snow and slush to push up over that cover the last few days leading to the cover breaking off at the center of the car and dragging on the pavement. I think it just had a large mass of slush up there that expanded overnight when freezing solid, breaking off the connection points. It was still hanging my the connection points along the edge of the car, which we became aware of after hearing the dragging sound when we went to take the car somewhere last night. We ended up taking the BMW and I broke the piece the rest of the way off when we got back home later.

Called Tischer this morning to schedule an appointment (we were due for the 15k maintenance as it was - even though it's only at 11k miles). They said we could bring it right in. This has happened both times I've went to schedule a service appointment with Tischer. Big points to Tischer in my book.

The second surprise was getting a Jetta as my Enterprise rental, which surprised me. Being used to getting really awful Enterprise rentals as service loaners, I asked. The Enterprise agent told me that Tischer has specifically directed Enterprise to not use any of their three lowest tier rental classes and also to not rent any Kias or PT Cruisers. More points to Tischer.

I got a call from them only about 90 minutes after I dropped it off telling me that the 15k service was done and looking for authorization to proceed on the replacement of the panels. While I choked on the price of the panels (with labor - $330), they had the parts in stock. Considering my experience with other dealerships who never have anything in stock much beyond the parts to do an oil change, I was shocked. Again, more points to Tischer.

I suppose that this is how service departments are supposed to work but considering what I've gotten used to at the other DC area Audi and BMW dealers, I am really pleasantly surprised.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Ugh indeed.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Agreed. So far, they're pretty decent. Bought my last two cars from them.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
TD
Founder emeritus

Got the call at 12:40 (just checked my VM now) that the car is ready to pick up.

Seriously, I'm impressed.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Agreed. So far, they're pretty decent. Bought my last two cars from them.
I'm thinking I'll probably end up getting my next BMW there (acknowledging that it's a matter of time until I buy another BMW).
Old 12-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I know that for snow driving, the plastic under cover of a4's have had problems. I never had an issue, but a friend's b5 a4 lost that piece. I read that the b8 still has issues (low car, plenty of traction, no plow attachment up front). One trick is not to back up when you're in the deep stuff...
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #7
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I know that for snow driving, the plastic under cover of a4's have had problems. I never had an issue, but a friend's b5 a4 lost that piece. I read that the b8 still has issues (low car, plenty of traction, no plow attachment up front). One trick is not to back up when you're in the deep stuff...
I will admit that I was having a blast on Sunday morning looking for unplowed snow to blast through. I'm sure that was a contributing factor.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
equ
Alphanumeric

The communal wisdom was that the cover was not as robust as possible to backing up over snow/ice.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
TD
Founder emeritus

I know that I didn't back up over snow. But I also know that the front edge was previously compromised.

So while it may be a common problem, my cause may be unique.

Either way, I'm out >$300.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:12 PM   #10
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
Either way, I'm out >$300.
Sucks. Oh well, these cars are really good in the white stuff at least... Even with a/s tires.