carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-30-2014, 06:20 AM   #31
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Can't wait to see the inevitable Tesla Model S vs. Honda Accord battle. They're both four door sedans.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:44 AM   #32
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Next up - can the 911 really be compared to the McLaren mp4.....

yes....i know.

i was more curious about the feedback about the automatic in the C7 (which is relevant), and the handling of the car.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #33
John V
No more BMWs

Thinking about this more, "comparos" like this are really irritating.

I mean, what is honestly the point of comparing a base (not even Z51) Stingray with an autotragic transmission with an optioned up Carrera S? Automatic, non-Z51 Vettes are poseur.. I mean cruiser cars.

The last time I checked, a base Carrera (not an S) had an MSRP over $84k. Not that you'll ever be able to actually buy one for that price. Even if you fully option a Stingray it is pretty hard or impossible to get to $84k. But if you want to compare two cars, compare those two.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #34
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Thinking about this more, "comparos" like this are really irritating.

I mean, what is honestly the point of comparing a base (not even Z51) Stingray with an autotragic transmission with an optioned up Carrera S? Automatic, non-Z51 Vettes are poseur.. I mean cruiser cars.

The last time I checked, a base Carrera (not an S) had an MSRP over $84k. Not that you'll ever be able to actually buy one for that price. Even if you fully option a Stingray it is pretty hard or impossible to get to $84k. But if you want to compare two cars, compare those two.
i do not disagree with you or bren on this point.

but GM was quite open in that they used the 911 and an F430 as dynamic benchmarks during C7 calibration.

whether or not we feel as though they succeeded, with or without caveats, is to be discussed.

technically, the corvette is the technological apex of GM's hierarchy, so seeing how it does against a 911 is not so off the reservation. both are mass produced cars, whereas you could argue the McLaren is bespoke and thus not an obvious comparator.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #35
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
i do not disagree with you or bren on this point.
This comparison was silly. Nobody is buying either of these cars as configured for track duty - so who cares. Show me the road test if you want to compare them. And like JV said, at least compare cars that are similarly equipped.

The 911 is roughly double the cost of the vette, and the MP4 is roughly double the cost of the 911. apples to apples as it were.....

As far as bespoke - Mclarens are sitting on lots at dealers like any other car:
http://www.mclarenbeverlyhills.com/n...tory/index.htm
http://mclarendallas.parkplacetexas....inventory/new/
(this is a bad example as current inventory is all verts; but you get the point.)
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #36
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
This comparison was silly. Nobody is buying either of these cars as configured for track duty - so who cares. Show me the road test if you want to compare them. And like JV said, at least compare cars that are similarly equipped.

The 911 is roughly double the cost of the vette, and the MP4 is roughly double the cost of the 911. apples to apples as it were.....

As far as bespoke - Mclarens are sitting on lots at dealers like any other car:
http://www.mclarenbeverlyhills.com/n...tory/index.htm
http://mclarendallas.parkplacetexas....inventory/new/
(this is a bad example as current inventory is all verts; but you get the point.)

As it were, if we preclude track work, I'd live to see a 911 v Mclaren comparison then.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #37
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
As it were, if we preclude track work, I'd live to see a 911 v Mclaren comparison then.
The one time I saw a McLaren on the track, it barfed oil all over the paddock and had to be flat-bedded away.

The 911s on the track at the time were thus faster.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #38
John V
No more BMWs

The 911S base MSRP is $98,900 (or was in 2013). That's likely to be more than the base MSRP of the upcoming 2015 Z06 Corvette by about $20k.

Because no magazine ever wants to test the base model of a sports car it'll never happen, but it would be enlightening to see an $85k Z06 compared against an $85k 911 Carrera.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #39
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
The 911S base MSRP is $98,900 (or was in 2013). That's likely to be more than the base MSRP of the upcoming 2015 Z06 Corvette by about $20k.

Because no magazine ever wants to test the base model of a sports car it'll never happen, but it would be enlightening to see an $85k Z06 compared against an $85k 911 Carrera.
it doesn't scale like that, at all.

given labor costs and exchange rates, it's still the GT3 or Turbo running up against a Z06 or ZR1.

the Euro is 1.37 dollars --so, trying to place things by price is not feasible.

(and the next Z06 will certainly be 100k out the door)

Old 01-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #40
John V
No more BMWs

What do you mean it doesn't scale like that?

This is the United States. Even if the Z06 costs $100k, it's going up against a Carrera S, which costs near-as-makes-no-difference $100k.