carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-15-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Thoughts on LR Discovery

Just mulling over potential options for a rugged, used SUV.

My impressions are that they are pricey to maintain and not he most reliable electronics-wise but pretty good mechancially.

Resale is Jaguar-like, meaning in the used car market they cost as much or less than equivalent 4Runners but with a bit more coolness and character. 2000-'03's can be had for $10-15K it seems.

Anyone here owned/driven one/knows much about them?

As I have mentioned before, I almost bought one in 2000 instead of my 190E, so I have a soft spot for them.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:32 AM   #2
TD
Founder emeritus

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpo...0&postcount=24
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Old 04-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
FC
Solving problems

That link does nothing but back up my point. That post was re: a family vehicle. I still would never own a Disco or a Wrangler for that duty. I am looking for one as a seldom-used SUV for dirty work.

So thanks TD for reminding me of how consistent I've been.

But that thread is great. An early 4Runner V8 was my other option, but they are still expensive.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone knew if the 99+ or even '03+ has markedly improved reliability as a result of BMW ownership at that time.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
That link does nothing but back up my point. That post was re: a family vehicle. I still would never own a Disco or a Wrangler for that duty. I am looking for one as a seldom-used SUV for dirty work.

So thanks TD for reminding me of how consistent I've been.

But that thread is great. An early 4Runner V8 was my other option, but they are still expensive.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone knew if the 99+ or even '03+ has markedly improved reliability as a result of BMW ownership at that time.
Land Rovers consistently finish at the bottom of the ratings for both reliability and flat out everything else with the exception of off road capability.

There are other more compelling choices.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
You will need to buy two. One to drive while the other one is in the shop.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:35 PM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Ok fine. Just throwing the idea out there. An old jeep still seems to make the most sense.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Land Rovers consistently finish at the bottom of the ratings for both reliability and flat out everything else with the exception of off road capability.

There are other more compelling choices.
FWIW, they finish last because they were pricey new. Now they are very cheap. They also finish last because they are unrefined and not suitable for urban environments/families as the main family vehicle/DD. I would not use it for either. Not saying it's great, just that if you run those same comparos given my potential use for it and the used car marketplace, it would finish much higher. Remember that this SUV would be the cheaper answer to what I really want which is a 4-door wrangler.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:49 PM   #9
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
FWIW, they finish last because they were pricey new. Now they are very cheap. They also finish last because they are unrefined and not suitable for urban environments/families as the main family vehicle/DD. I would not use it for either. Not saying it's great, just that if you run those same comparos given my potential use for it and the used car marketplace, it would finish much higher. Remember that this SUV would be the cheaper answer to what I really want which is a 4-door wrangler.
I suspect that a Land Rover is not going to be a "cheaper answer" to much of anything. Ask yourself why their resale value is so low. It's like the old E32 750s; the purchase price is just the downpayment on a long and expensive journey.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I suspect that a Land Rover is not going to be a "cheaper answer" to much of anything. Ask yourself why their resale value is so low. It's like the old E32 750s; the purchase price is just the downpayment on a long and expensive journey.
Yeah, you are right. I guess I was thinking that if I use it seldomly maybe it won't break as often, but it probably would be even more annoying if one of the few times I need it, it craps out on me.