carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Thumbs down My FWD Jeep

I pulled my rear driveshaft on my Jeep this morning and drove into work. Whee, a FWD Wrangler! Now I can be just like a Jeep Compass.

It's interesting to see how the handling and feel of the vehicle changes when switching from RWD to FWD. There's certainly more pull in the steering and the ass-end squats down or feels like it's getting sucked down like on most FWD cars I've driven.

But hey, no knocking and the Jeep drives smooth.

It took me about 10 minutes to pull the driveshaft this morning in the driveway. Then I just shifted the Jeep into 4WD and I was good to go. I'll take a closer look at the rear driveshaft but I think I'll need to get a new one. This one looks to be shot after a half decade of offroading.

I've been having some odd knocking / vibration noises and I think it's coming from my rear driveshaft. The rear u-joint had 3 out of 4 bearing caps contain nothing but dust and bits of needle bearings (not good). After swapping in a new u-joint the other night the knocking / vibration is still there. It might be the centering ball in the middle of my double cardan joint on the other end of the driveshaft, because the other u-joints looked and felt to be in good shape still.

Several years ago I sheared off a zerk fitting driving over some BIG rocks so I haven't had a chance to grease the splines for the last few years. They're all dried out, have some play in them, and I can't separate the two halves of the driveshaft to grease them up. Then, I think the centering ball in the middle of the double-cardan joint needs replacing. That's ~$60 or so. PLUS, I was figuring on needing to shorten and rebalance my driveshaft when I swap in the new rear axle. That would be $100.

So, $160 to dump into my current driveshaft with the worn out splines.

or

$270-300 for a brand new custom driveshaft sized exactly right for my application with all new u-joints and centering ball thingy.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Nick M3
Relic

Tell your wife she owes you.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
It took me about 10 minutes to pull the driveshaft this morning in the driveway. Then I just shifted the Jeep into 4WD and I was good to go. I'll take a closer look at the rear driveshaft but I think I'll need to get a new one. This one looks to be shot after a half decade of offroading.
Richard Hammond had that exact same thing happen to a Toyota Land Cruiser during the Top Gear Bolivia Special. Of course, it took substantially more time to pull the driveshaft with only simple tools at 16,000+ feet.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
Nick M3
Relic

Actually, it looked liek the time consuming part was removing the diff internals after he shattered the case.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
I've been having some odd knocking / vibration noises and I think it's coming from my rear driveshaft.
That happened with my wrangler - one loud bang/screech later and there was a hole in the floor and the driveshaft was flipping down the highway behind me.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
kognito
older fart than ZBB

A friend of mine owns a wrangler that he pulls four wheel down behind his 5th wheel trailer. Its rear has been making some noises this winter that sound like pinion bearing to me. He is dragging it now from south TX to Colorado.

It might be FWD by the time he gets there! He does have a new pumpkin for it sitting in the back that he is going to install in CO
Old 04-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
lupinsea
Jeeped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Actually, it looked liek the time consuming part was removing the diff internals after he shattered the case.
Yeah, I think on the TG episode there was a problem with the diff itself. Whether we're talking Wrangler or Land Cruiser . . . 4 bolts at each end and the driveshaft is out. It's just right there, not even buried in the chassis or anything like that. Don't need to jack up the rig at all, either.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #8
lupinsea
Jeeped

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
That happened with my wrangler - one loud bang/screech later and there was a hole in the floor and the driveshaft was flipping down the highway behind me.
One reason these things should be looked at.

U-joints need some love and attention but many many people overlook them as part of routine maintenance. I'm actually quite surprised how fouled up they can be and still "function". But they can be a time bomb if not taken care of.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
One reason these things should be looked at.

U-joints need some love and attention but many many people overlook them as part of routine maintenance. I'm actually quite surprised how fouled up they can be and still "function". But they can be a time bomb if not taken care of.
With 5+" of suspension lift, 35" tires, and a locker in the rear, the stock driveshaft was bound to self destruct sooner or later.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
lupinsea
Jeeped

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
With 5+" of suspension lift, 35" tires, and a locker in the rear, the stock driveshaft was bound to self destruct sooner or later.
Stock?

Yeah, no kidding.

Somebody wasn't doing their research. WAY too much lift for the stock driveshaft.

What year Wrangler did you have? I'm guessing a YJ?