carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #61
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
I still don't think you're getting it, Alan. It's not about the card existing or being valid in some states, but not others.
I am completely getting it ... it makes sense to understand the reaction now that I know other people didn’t know it existed ...

Last edited by Alan; 12-15-2019 at 06:26 AM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:26 PM   #62
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
It *is* a fucked up thing. I don't judge anyone too harshly for taking advantage of it, as it really is the norm, but I honestly don't think I could. It just feels so wrong.

I'll go to court and hope the cop doesn't show up, or plea down, or whatever, no problem with that. But the card thing really does just feel like bribery, and I've heard stories my whole life from friends about using them. It just skeevs me out.

It should be stopped.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:56 PM   #63
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

You know what works as good as a PBA card besides hospital scrubs/I.D. ??

Military clothing.

Many years ago, I mailed my cousin in NJ a 101st Airborne Division t-shirt. I bought it at the base PX while stationed in Ft. Campbell, KY, so it was official-looking.

Anyway, he told me that one time, he was stopped by a local LEO for speeding. The cop checked his usual credentials/documention: license, insurance and registration.

He returned from his squad car, handed him back his papers and said, "All your things check out". He glanced at my cousin's shirt and said, "By the way, were you in the Army ??"

Thinking quickly, my cousin replied, "Yes, but it was a while ago".

The cop then decided NOT to give him a a ticket and lets him go with just a warning. I think many LEOs are prior service, and it's kind of an unwritten rule not to give a ticket to your brothers-in-arms.

The funny thing is, my cousin never served.
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Last edited by 3LOU5; 12-15-2019 at 04:59 AM. Reason: edit
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:22 PM   #64
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
That was my question some posts ago. I think it's heavily used in NY/Long Island and probably in NJ... Never heard of it anywhere else. Since I'm not really "connected" here, I've heard only a couple of PBA stories and they are all similar.
It isn't (wasn't?) just the PBA. Here's a 1985 "get out of jail free" card from Passaic County, NJ. No, I never used it. It is pretty much a "If you have the audacity to bring this guy up on charges, once it gets to court it is pretty much dead". I have no idea where the limit was - obviously you couldn't kill someone and get the charges dismissed, but I know of cases of public disorderliness with minor property damage where the case just died in the county legal system.

Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:32 PM   #65
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Related rant: As someone who had a legitimate handicap tag for a few months following an awful ankle injury, it is enraging to find no handicapped spots because they are all taken by seemingly able-bodied people. I had surgery a week ago to have the hardware removed and didn't want apply and get a tag for about a week of use. Not having one I parked in a regular spot and went to get lunch with my crutches as I walk past two people getting out of handicapped spots while having no issues.
Alternatively, I'd like to mention that not all disabilities are visible.

Also, the law does not distinguish between the potential number of users for each space - as my father (an architect) said, "chemotherapy centers and bowling alleys are both required to have the same percentage of handicap parking spots". Sometimes the medical facilities designate additional spaces beyond what is required, sometimes not. The doctors' office building where my spine surgeon has 1/2 floor has 3 handicap spaces. For the whole building. Yeesh. The theater where Sue and I go to see movies occasionally has far more spaces.
Quote:
It is so abused, it is ridiculous. I know several people who acknowledge not having any issues, but happened to know a Dr. who got them one. It really bothers me.
At one end of the scale, the person who insists on flying with their "emotional support emu" is obviously abusing a loophole in the system. At the other end, it is sometimes really hard to tell, particularly as it is not allowed to inquire about the nature of someone's disability in most cases.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #66
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy View Post
Alternatively, I'd like to mention that not all disabilities are visible.

Also, the law does not distinguish between the potential number of users for each space - as my father (an architect) said, "chemotherapy centers and bowling alleys are both required to have the same percentage of handicap parking spots". Sometimes the medical facilities designate additional spaces beyond what is required, sometimes not. The doctors' office building where my spine surgeon has 1/2 floor has 3 handicap spaces. For the whole building. Yeesh. The theater where Sue and I go to see movies occasionally has far more spaces.

At one end of the scale, the person who insists on flying with their "emotional support emu" is obviously abusing a loophole in the system. At the other end, it is sometimes really hard to tell, particularly as it is not allowed to inquire about the nature of someone's disability in most cases.
This is all true, but when all 8 spots are taken at BJ's and as I wait for one to free up I see people load up heavy items and move with a hop on their step, I call BS.

I agree that there may be other disabilities, but if handicapped spots cannot be used by the guy with one leg, then what's the point?

The number of handicapped spots taken compared to people with the faintest visible disability is such a huge ratio that logic tells me that the system is being abused.

I'm not saying it is easy for some elderly (but not THAT old) or some heavy people to walk longer distances, but that should be a different level of priority if at all. I also depends massively on the size of the parking lot.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:38 AM   #67
dan
redefined

I hardly ever see handicapped spots being taken
Old 12-16-2019, 08:46 AM   #68
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
I hardly ever see handicapped spots being taken
It may well be a Boston area thing, but it sucks.

I think in smaller lots with one or two spots it doesn't get abused. The whole lot is small enough that people just park in other spots. But when large lots get fuller and the prospect of a long walk is present (never mind if there are just few spots left) that's when they all seem to disappear.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #69
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
This is all true, but when all 8 spots are taken at BJ's and as I wait for one to free up I see people load up heavy items and move with a hop on their step, I call BS.

I agree that there may be other disabilities, but if handicapped spots cannot be used by the guy with one leg, then what's the point?
Thank you for your input, Dr. Fern.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:23 AM   #70
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Thank you for your input, Dr. Fern.
Any time.