carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-13-2019, 05:57 PM   #51
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Jeez Josh ... that is so far fetched, corruption ... bribery

I get the animosity because you unfortunately don’t have a pba card but I think you’re going off on the deep end on this one, but hey I don’t have one now either so I’m pissed too

Also i didn’t say an owner giving you a break I said someone who worked (not owned) the establishment (that’s stealing isn’t it).
Yes, it is stealing. But that's a matter of private conduct between the parties, not a matter of public corruption.

And I think that actually makes my point. No one would doubt that if a restaurant manager were giving away drinks to his friends without the owner's permission, the owner would be within his rights to fire the guy, right? If that's the case, then what the guy is doing is wrong.

Yeah, I'm pissed because I don't have a PBA card, in the sense that I'm pissed because the law is being applied unfairly, and there's a class of people who get a benefit that I don't and can't. That's why corruption is bad and corrosive.

If you're asking whether I'd use a card like that, I can honestly say that I would not.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:04 PM   #52
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yes, it is stealing. But that's a matter of private conduct between the parties, not a matter of public corruption.

And I think that actually makes my point. No one would doubt that if a restaurant manager were giving away drinks to his friends without the owner's permission, the owner would be within his rights to fire the guy, right? If that's the case, then what the guy is doing is wrong.

Yeah, I'm pissed because I don't have a PBA card, in the sense that I'm pissed because the law is being applied unfairly, and there's a class of people who get a benefit that I don't and can't. That's why corruption is bad and corrosive.

If you're asking whether I'd use a card like that, I can honestly say that I would not.
Argh ... I like you too much to keep this going ...

Last edited by Alan; 12-15-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:21 PM   #53
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Since we've established that we all love PBA cards and their stories, here's another.

A bunch of guys were driving their autox / track cars to a track event at Watkins Glen. They were driving in a long line of cars, pretty damn fast. It was early so the roads were clear. They noticed a jeep joined their line but he seemed harmless enough. Next thing they know they run into a police roadblock. The guy in the jeep was an off duty cop and he called them in.

However, one of the drivers was cousins with the NYC police commissioner and had his PBA card. The cops argued for a while, and eventually let them all go.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:45 PM   #54
JST

That’s good for the autox guys, I guess.

Honestly I’d never heard of the PBA card thing before this thread. I had a friend in HS whose dad was a cop. We got pulled over in his dad’s G-body 911 once because the car didn’t have current registration (it was winter and he’d been keeping the car in storage).

The cops were going to impound the car before they realized that my friend was the son of a cop in a neighboring jurisdiction. They let us go.

Was that the right result? Or should the cops have busted the punk ass 17 year olds driving an unregistered Porsche around Pontiac, MI? It’s good for my friend that they let him off, but I’m pretty sure he didn’t take the right message from that interaction.

Probably unrelated, he died of a heroin overdose a few years ago.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:23 AM   #55
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
That’s good for the autox guys, I guess.

Honestly I’d never heard of the PBA card thing before this thread.
Wow .. is this a NY only thing ?

I had one when I just got my license from a detective my Dad knew and back then it got me out of quite a few tickets. I thought this was a normal thing ... I now understand this thread and the responses a lot more.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:39 AM   #56
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
That was my question some posts ago. I think it's heavily used in NY/Long Island and probably in NJ... Never heard of it anywhere else. Since I'm not really "connected" here, I've heard only a couple of PBA stories and they are all similar. A long time ago I dated a girl who would always take the wheel after a night out with zero fear (her family had a lot of cops was the explanation).

But here I am in the cesspool of NY/NJ. Every mayor and council has lined their pockets if the economy allowed it, every single one. Where cops, firemen and other public servants act like kings and bankrupt the local budgets. Where cops have a semi-official system of favors for a whole 2-degree of separation network of people...
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:49 AM   #57
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
That was my question some posts ago. I think it's heavily used in NY/Long Island and probably in NJ... Never heard of it anywhere else. Since I'm not really "connected" here, I've heard only a couple of PBA stories and they are all similar. A long time ago I dated a girl who would always take the wheel after a night out with zero fear (her family had a lot of cops was the explanation).

But here I am in the cesspool of NY/NJ. Every mayor and council has lined their pockets if the economy allowed it, every single one. Where cops, firemen and other public servants act like kings and bankrupt the local budgets. Where cops have a semi-official system of favors for a whole 2-degree of separation network of people...
Sounds like a Scorsese movie...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:58 AM   #58
JST

Yeah, I do a fair amount of work involving local governments, and Long Island is fantastically corrupt.

The only place worse is Missouri.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:57 AM   #59
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post

A friend of mine had one in NJ. When we were seniors in high school, my friend, another friend and I decided to make a spring break road trip to Florida. We pulled over on 95 in Georgia on our way down. The sheriff who pulled us over took the card, ripped it up, and told us "them cards don't do nothing down here" We got two tickets, and about an hour added to our trip time.

This was 1975, travelling through the south was different back then. My next door neighbor spent most of his working life as a trouper here in SC. He carries a card in his wallet identifying his career, works like a PBA card but he says it is NOT revoke-able. (he keeps it next to his concealed carry permit)
Old 12-14-2019, 02:27 PM   #60
ff

Quote:

I had one when I just got my license from a detective my Dad knew and back then it got me out of quite a few tickets. I thought this was a normal thing ... I now understand this thread and the responses a lot more.
I still don't think you're getting it, Alan. It's not about the card existing or being valid in some states, but not others.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote