carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-23-2020, 07:51 AM   #3131
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Blue over black is what I really wanted when I was looking for a 987, but I simply couldn't find a 987.2S with that color combination and a stick. They were all Blue over brown / tan, and I didn't like the look. I'm curious what this car will go for. It's very "base" and the early cars IMO haven't aged well - the steering wheel, exhaust tips, wheels, and center stack look a bit dated to me, but this one is super clean.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:34 AM   #3132
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Another clone car:

08 987.1 in cobalt blue.

Black interior isn’t as good as mine but only 18k miles.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-boxster-s-14/
20 days in SC? When I first moved here I had in interesting conversation with my neighbor, who is a retired LEO in Georgia, about SCDMV. (Was talking while I was checking out his C6 red convertible) He told me that it isn't too difficult to "wash" titles here in SC. (although the carfax seems OK)

In my personal dealings with SCDMV, I've found they do rely too much on my word. I just had to deal with them with changing ownership on my GMC. I first leased, then bought the truck. When updating the title to remove the lease holder info, I should have paid sales tax for the amount of my residual . . . I said "I paid that when I got the truck", and was able to walk out with new title and no tax paid
Old 09-23-2020, 08:37 AM   #3133
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
That should get up to the 20's. If it doesn't, it'll be a screaming deal. There are minor advantages of the 06 to 08 987's compared to the .2. The clutch engagement feel is better, I'm not sure why. The M97 engine has more burly sound out of the box. But those don't make up for the reportedly less reliable engine, potential power steering leaks and just less fun due to the higher revving nature of the 9A1 (and the relative mental peace that brings).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:59 AM   #3134
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Blue over black is what I really wanted when I was looking for a 987, but I simply couldn't find a 987.2S with that color combination and a stick. They were all Blue over brown / tan, and I didn't like the look. I'm curious what this car will go for. It's very "base" and the early cars IMO haven't aged well - the steering wheel, exhaust tips, wheels, and center stack look a bit dated to me, but this one is super clean.
With very low miles this one may touch 30, though I doubt much higher than that. 987s (even the later ones) are still haunted by IMS issues and are in that weird trough between "used car" and "nostalgia trip," like the 67K 944 that sold the other day.

I love the wheels on these, but I'm biased. The exhaust tips and steering wheel are really easy to swap and not super expensive, but I agree both are radical improvements and are probably my favorite car "mods."

Agreed on the center stack, but in a car like this I would almost certainly swap in one of those cleaner looking touch screen units.

Honestly the color is just so good, and even after ten years of ownership I get compliments on it nearly every time I drive it.

EDIT: As a data point, a very clean but high mileage '06 just sold for 16, which honestly has to be about the best deal in Porsche-dom right now.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #3135
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
It's a great blue.

Last edited by wdc330i; 09-23-2020 at 09:37 AM.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #3136
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
With very low miles this one may touch 30, though I doubt much higher than that. 987s (even the later ones) are still haunted by IMS issues and are in that weird trough between "used car" and "nostalgia trip," like the 67K 944 that sold the other day.

I love the wheels on these, but I'm biased. The exhaust tips and steering wheel are really easy to swap and not super expensive, but I agree both are radical improvements and are probably my favorite car "mods."

Agreed on the center stack, but in a car like this I would almost certainly swap in one of those cleaner looking touch screen units.

Honestly the color is just so good, and even after ten years of ownership I get compliments on it nearly every time I drive it.

EDIT: As a data point, a very clean but high mileage '06 just sold for 16, which honestly has to be about the best deal in Porsche-dom right now.
I'm very tempted by that car. Dammit. Part of me wants to wait and get what I really want. But if that is a 981S/GTS for $40-55k, why not this one for say, $25k?

I did love my 987.1S. It's just weird to get the same (not as well-optioned) thing again after a decade.

Last edited by FC; 09-23-2020 at 11:04 AM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:39 AM   #3137
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:

Later 987s don't have an IMS. How would they be haunted by IMS issues?
Old 09-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #3138
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Later 987s don't have an IMS. How would they be haunted by IMS issues?
Later 987.1s, I meant, as opposed to the early ones (2005s) that had the really bad IMS. The later ones (2006+) had a better bearing with a lower failure rate but it's still an unknown that turns a lot of ppl off.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:36 PM   #3139
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
The m96/97 engines have mahy more failure modes in comparison to the 9A1.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:22 AM   #3140
John V
No more BMWs

Yep. I'm honestly surprised the M96/M97 cars haven't completely tanked in value at this point - their pricing is really not that different from the 9A1 cars.

Don't get me wrong, all 987s are great cars, but given how cheap the .2 cars are, why would you pick an early one?