carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-13-2019, 06:04 AM   #21
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
There is something fundamentally wrong with a situation where law enforcement treats people differently based on who their friends and family are as opposed to how they behave.
I definitely agree it is a messed up system, I also find it messed up that cops break more laws driving then citizens do and they do it on a regular basis. I am always surprised when I see a cop using his turn signal or when they actual sit at a red light ... plus when they are off duty they know they can drive anyway they like and get away with it.

But I also find the way they punish their fellow police officers messed up, the whole taking the card away thing is their way of saying to their fellow PO ... f you. You should see what they do when they actually know each other, they take a sharpie and cross out the handwritten info on the card and give it back to their buddy so he can then take alcohol, clean the card and rewrite his info on it.

Also what is with the tailgate the shit out of you while pulling you over thing ... it is a complete intimidation tactic...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:29 AM   #22
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
it's fucking revolting.
And that's a nice way to put it.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #23
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
That cop did sound like a dick though.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:57 AM   #24
dan
redefined

ACAB
Old 12-13-2019, 09:19 AM   #25
JST

Look, here's the thing. The PBA system you're describing is entirely fucked up. It's a borderline criminal racket that subverts the rule of law. Is it the same as cops pulling over african americans and shooting them? No...but it's not unrelated to that, because it creates a culture of impunity where a cop and his buddies are above the law.

AF, you seem like a good guy. You should not participate in this system. Be thankful that the cop took that card; be thankful that it helped you out once, but be more thankful that you can learn a lesson from this. Trading in favors to evade prosecution is wrong, if not legally, than certainly morally. Don't do it. Just don't.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #26
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I definitely agree it is a messed up system, I also find it messed up that cops break more laws driving then citizens do and they do it on a regular basis. I am always surprised when I see a cop using his turn signal or when they actual sit at a red light ... plus when they are off duty they know they can drive anyway they like and get away with it.

But I also find the way they punish their fellow police officers messed up, the whole taking the card away thing is their way of saying to their fellow PO ... f you. You should see what they do when they actually know each other, they take a sharpie and cross out the handwritten info on the card and give it back to their buddy so he can then take alcohol, clean the card and rewrite his info on it.

Also what is with the tailgate the shit out of you while pulling you over thing ... it is a complete intimidation tactic...
No. The whole point of taking the card away is to say to their fellow officer that they should really reconsider letting their friend or family member trade on their reputation for favors from other cops.

And, of course, it is absolutely insane that the whole PBA card practice is allowed.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:11 AM   #27
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Look, here's the thing. The PBA system you're describing is entirely fucked up. It's a borderline criminal racket that subverts the rule of law. Is it the same as cops pulling over african americans and shooting them? No...but it's not unrelated to that, because it creates a culture of impunity where a cop and his buddies are above the law.
Completely agree.

Quote:
AF, you seem like a good guy. You should not participate in this system. Be thankful that the cop took that card; be thankful that it helped you out once, but be more thankful that you can learn a lesson from this. Trading in favors to evade prosecution is wrong, if not legally, than certainly morally. Don't do it. Just don't.
I want to agree more than I actually do. In my absolutely best self, I probably do. In my "I live in the real world" self, I'd probably say, "use it if you're okay with it, but you should feel really bad about it and do some kind of meaningful act of kindness to make up for it."

Part of what factors into that is that minor traffic infractions often lead to overly punitive actions. That part of the system is fucked up, too.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #28
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Trading in favors to evade prosecution is wrong, if not legally, than certainly morally. Don't do it. Just don't.
Damn dude. That's a broad statement.

Aren't 90% of court cases impacted, at least in some form, by attorneys "trading in favors"?

And are people really expected to reject a "not guilty" finding because it was for immoral reasons? Like, a having a buddy in the DA's office? Or an all-white jury? Or...

Last edited by rumatt; 12-13-2019 at 10:32 AM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #29
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Using the card to evade a ticket or whatever strikes me as similar to using someone else's handicap placard (although one is legal and sanctioned and the other illegal, they seem equivalent in effect to me).

That said, it does sound like Alan was singled out for having the expensive-looking fast car. The officer was not applying the law fairly, and the PBA advantage is not a fair application of the law/justice either.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:15 AM   #30
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
That said, it does sound like Alan was singled out for having the expensive-looking fast car.
I would disagree with that. For law enforcement, it's about quotas/generating revenue. Alan just happened to be the most convenient target for this particular cop, at that moment.

That became crystal clear to me one time back in my 20's when I was last in a line of 3 cars going 12 MPH over the limit on a highway. Oncoming cop slammed on his brakes, turned around, and pursued. Pulled me (the caboose) over and issued a ticket, without any concern about the guy in front leading the pack. Or the guy behind him.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote