carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-24-2004, 03:06 PM   #31
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3
Hmm...

Anyone else find it funny that Carrie, Clyde and I are among the least anti-X5 around here?
Not really. You are the three biggest contrarians of the group.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 03:12 PM   #32
Roadstergal
Butting in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
No, we're not.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:13 PM   #33
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
The X line is pure marketing pandering to badge-buying lemmings (not you, though).

Hi, my name is Fillip, and I'm a badge-buying lemming that loves the X5.

I won't even begin to try and get you guys to see it like I do, but I will say that if I could afford one, I'd be very happy driving an X5 4.4 daily, though I'll admit that I'd want a "sporty car" to drive around with as well.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:14 PM   #34
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3
And I would not in any way want to drive one of those around every day.
Well, hell, I wouldn't want to drive an X5 every day.

But you can get a small fuel-efficient beater or bike for the differential cost of gas for a year on even a decently economical SUV.
Wimp.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:56 PM   #35
Roadstergal
Butting in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL
Wimp.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:57 PM   #36
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
No, we're not.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:48 PM   #37
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCHER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCHER
I have been very pleased with the Disco' thus far. Hell, I actually enjoy driving it. The steering is nicely weighted and believe it or not, does offer decent road feel for an SUV (makes the Tahoe feel like even more of a joke). The brakes are good and power is just about right. There is ample room for passengers as well as cargo. My wife uses it daily for her antique business. And if I ever need it, it has a 7000 lbs. towing capacity.

Off-road, it really, really shines. My wife and I took a mountainbiking trip to the mountains of NM recently and did some 4-wheeling in the process. It is supremely capable in that regard - a very important part of our buying decision.
The LR3, aka Disco III, looks like an extremely attractive product for people who want a "real" SUV.
I saw one while passing by the dealership a couple of weeks ago. Someone was taking delivery so I didn't want to intrude on their experience.

I'm not sure if I am totally sold on the new design yet. It isn't horrible but I like the more "quirky" looks of previous generations as opposed to the LR3's more mainstream appearance. It may grow on me.

You are right though. Those looking for a true SUV with real off-road capability would be hard pressed to find a better package. We love ours.
I've seen a few on the road in Scottsdale over the last few weeks and had a chance to sit in one at the AZ auto show on Thanksgiving... Outside design is very nice -- modern, but still looks like a Disco. Inside is another story -- OK basic design, but really poor interior materials. You can see where they raided the Ford parts bin, and really cheaped out on the plastics -- it just feels cheap (not what you should be getting in a truck that costs $45-50k). Before sitting in it, I wanted to get a test drive, but I will not test drive anything unless I like sitting in it.

We also sat in the Range Rover -- while it does cost another $25-30k, it has that quality feel inside. You can also see where the RR raided the BMW parts bin -- various e46 and e39 switches are used throughout (like e46 window switches). I understand Ford had to change for the LR3, but you think they could keep some of the same feel when you push a button...