Old 11-24-2004, 12:59 PM   #21
Masskrug
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCHER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masskrug
You're all such elitists.

Rarely does one need the BEST towing vehicle, the BEST offroad vehicle, the BEST handling vehicle, the BEST cargo capacity, the BEST luxury vehicle, etc, etc...ALL the time.

You tow sometimes. You offroad sometimes. You carve up twisties and onramps sometimes. And you like to cruise in comfort and leather and get 23 mpg at 80 mph in rock-solid freeway stability sometimes.

And sometimes, the vehicle that suits the needs you have best may be something that may not be THE pinnacle of each criterion, but does each of them well enough to satisfy your requirement for all those things.

A Swiss army knife or leatherman tool is really useful. It's not the best tool for each task you use it for, but it does all of them adequately to do the job. If you could pick only one tool to own for the next 10 years, it'd be a great choice.

So get down off that snobbery perch before I start criticizing YOUR cars. (except lemming, because he has a pretty bitchin' fast car)
Sarcasm (I think), noted...

We don't need all of those things all of the time but we need (or at least I do) all of those things some of the time. The Disco' is our mule. For everything else, there's the M3.

I'm almost always sarcastic. It drives my wife nuts.

I think you're reinforcing my point.

Most of us can't afford to buy a F350 Super Duty to tow, a Jeep to offroad, a Prius to commute,a Lexus to cruise, a Lotus to track, a Suburban to haul in cover, etc, etc. That would be far more wasteful of resources than the compromises I chose in getting an E46 and an X5.

So why look down on the spirit of compromise?
Masskrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 01:03 PM   #22
JST

Quote:

Because we are carmudgeons?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 01:04 PM   #23
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:

Amen!
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 01:16 PM   #24
Jason C
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Invalid Carriage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
Someday, we're going to be over this SUV thing. It will be a glorious day.
Amen to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:

What he said!
Jason C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 01:31 PM   #25
Roadstergal
Butting in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
It might be able to get the trailer moving in non-windy conditions, but certainly isn't something I'd want to use in towing that much weight... Now throw in some cross- or head-winds, and you're upside down in the ditch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
A trailer that size will throw something as small as an X5 around like a toy in a strong wind.
Hate to argue with the experts, but that X5 has towed that trailer over Snoqualmie pass to Spokane and back, up to Mission, down to Portland a couple of times (when I hitched a ride and find it rock-steady) - lord knows there aren't any cross- or headwinds in the passes...
BMW rates the X5 4.4 to 6000lbs trailer-towing capacity; that's a lightweight trailer, and the whole package is just pushing 6000lbs (Pro3 weight is 2650 lbs WITH driver, BTW, not 3000!).
Old 11-24-2004, 02:50 PM   #26
Nick M3
Relic

My view is that the X5 makes one of the better compromises, given that I probably won't be able to spend $50K on a daily driver that'd make me happy and another $50K on a truck that I'd be willing to travel in and that would be genuinely better to tow in.

After all, to really get a better tow vehicle, you'd need a proper bed hitch. That's expensive as hell and only really goes in the trucks with the monster engines. And I would not in any way want to drive one of those around every day.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 02:51 PM   #27
Nick M3
Relic

Hmm...

Anyone else find it funny that Carrie, Clyde and I are among the least anti-X5 around here?
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 02:55 PM   #28
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

I like the X5, but I think I'd rather have a new GC. The new design is good-looking, has a Hemi option, and is quite nice inside. The more I think about it, the more I like the one that I had.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 02:57 PM   #29
Roadstergal
Butting in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3
And I would not in any way want to drive one of those around every day.
Well, hell, I wouldn't want to drive an X5 every day.

But you can get a small fuel-efficient beater or bike for the differential cost of gas for a year on even a decently economical SUV.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:59 PM   #30
Roadstergal
Butting in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3
Anyone else find it funny that Carrie, Clyde and I are among the least anti-X5 around here?
I'm not knee-jerk against SUVs. I'm knee-jerk against their rampant misuse, especially with drivers who don't understand the difference between driving a truck and driving a car.