carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-22-2024, 02:15 PM   #351
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
It is literally not worth crap now, have to hold onto it for the long-term. My former $13k is now $2k.
sunk cost fallacy
Old 02-22-2024, 02:19 PM   #352
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
sunk cost fallacy

Ultimately up to my financial advisor at MS. Doubt he is going to dump it anytime soon though.

Last edited by SCA; 02-22-2024 at 02:57 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 03:13 PM   #353
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Ultimately up to my financial advisor at MS. Doubt he is going to dump it anytime soon though.

Might be a good candidate for some tax loss harvesting in the future
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 05:32 PM   #354
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Might be a good candidate for some tax loss harvesting in the future
This.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 03:11 PM   #355
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
I would just hold it and see what happens, why sell and get $2k now ... might as well ride it out being there really isn't much to lose.

I was checking some history on it and I see at one time it was up to $129.95 then it took a nose dive pretty quickly
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 03:41 PM   #356
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I would just hold it and see what happens, why sell and get $2k now ... might as well ride it out being there really isn't much to lose.
the phenomenon whereby a person is reluctant to abandon a strategy or course of action because they have invested heavily in it, even when it is clear that abandonment would be more beneficial
Old 02-23-2024, 07:27 PM   #357
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

I was checking some history on it and I see at one time it was up to $129.95 then it took a nose dive pretty quickly

The $130 prior high is irrelevant - that was a different time when money was still free and people thought this could be another Tesla. They also were going to co-develop trucks with Ford and there was also some prestige from their deal with Amazon to make delivery vans. Since then Ford has essentially abandoned them and dumped their shares and the Amazon deal won’t make them the next Tesla. The stock took a nosedive right after the IPO and has never recovered. It could go up a little from where it is now, but I think it has a better chance of going to $0 than it does of going to $20 (currently $10).

Not my money, but if it was I would cut my losses at this point, get some tax loss benefit to offset some other gains, and redeploy the $$ into just about any other stock that has potential for growth.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:19 PM   #358
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
the phenomenon whereby a person is reluctant to abandon a strategy or course of action because they have invested heavily in it, even when it is clear that abandonment would be more beneficial

The real problem which might apply to what you’re saying is when someone invests more in it now when it is low with the hopes it will go up and make part of the money back or not selling period hoping it comes back but obviously in Sean’s case it’s only $2k … something tells me he nor anyone else here is taking $2k to invest in anything.

If you or anyone here wants to talk about investments …. Make the thread private or move this thread to a private board … I think these things should be out of the public
Old 02-23-2024, 09:28 PM   #359
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
The $130 prior high is irrelevant - that was a different time when money was still free and people thought this could be another Tesla. They also were going to co-develop trucks with Ford and there was also some prestige from their deal with Amazon to make delivery vans. Since then Ford has essentially abandoned them and dumped their shares and the Amazon deal won’t make them the next Tesla. The stock took a nosedive right after the IPO and has never recovered. It could go up a little from where it is now, but I think it has a better chance of going to $0 than it does of going to $20 (currently $10).

Not my money, but if it was I would cut my losses at this point, get some tax loss benefit to offset some other gains, and redeploy the $$ into just about any other stock that has potential for growth.
The $130 high is not irrelevant to the person who invested and it’s now $10 but the big picture is this was a get rich investment for people hoping this was their next win
Edit … no one knows at this point, this stock might hit sky high in the future

Last edited by Alan; 02-23-2024 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:06 PM   #360
SCA
Jaded

I was actually clearing out photos on my iPhone this evening and happened to stumble across this screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6723.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	822.3 KB
ID:	17052  
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote