carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 07-10-2022, 11:59 PM   #231
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Rivian and Lucid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Rivian is not delivering tags, registration, and title for nearly 90 days. Many think it is deliberate in an attempt to hinder resale.
Is that legal? I know Carvana is in trouble in several states for games like that, but in their case it think it’s more a matter of operational issues vs. intentional delay.

For example in Massachusetts you can’t drive with a temporary plate so if they are selling to anyone in MA they need to be able to provide plates before anyone can drive it - I’m sure they aren’t making MA customers wait 90 days to be able to drive their car.

Assuming you have some equity here - not sure how much you want to push them.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:18 AM   #232
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Is that legal? I know Carvana is in trouble in several states for games like that, but in their case it think it’s more a matter of operational issues vs. intentional delay.

For example in Massachusetts you can’t drive with a temporary plate so if they are selling to anyone in MA they need to be able to provide plates before anyone can drive it - I’m sure they aren’t making MA customers wait 90 days to be able to drive their car.

Assuming you have some equity here - not sure how much you want to push them.
They are delivering vehicles to all 50 states with a 90 day Illinois temporary tag so it must be legal in Illinois? They are using a third-party to do TTT. I know individuals that had been waiting for three months and Rivian just recently threw in the towel and sent them the MSO and refunded tax, doc fee, and etc. I inquired with my Guide if we could forgo their registration process and she stated that they have implemented some new steps and wanted to see how it goes prior to sending the MSO.

I mean the cool factor of this thing is up there, but I am definitely not in love with it and I certainly do not want to keep it. Edit: In fact, I would like to see it out of the driveway sooner rather than later. Obviously I would prefer to flip it and make some money, but there really is no telling how long it is going to take to get the title. Suggestions? FYI, The minimum I could profit is $10k. The maximum to-date is $35k+. No telling where things will stand three months from now as more and more hit the market as production is ramping up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0053A8AA-E1AE-43C3-8874-061C43B34173.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	14936  Click image for larger version

Name:	0229DDC9-0D08-4E8D-ABD4-BAE71CBD6A13.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	14937  

Last edited by SCA; 07-11-2022 at 10:30 AM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 09:59 AM   #233
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
It seems evil that you paid for it, possess it, but do not "own" it in way that allows you to control it as your property.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:29 AM   #234
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
It seems evil that you paid for it, possess it, but do not "own" it in way that allows you to control it as your property.
Right… I am not impressed with their current manufacture to consumer process. To be blunt, it sucks! I have not heard from one Rivian employee since delivery. One would think that they would want to know how the vehicle is doing and if I had any questions? I mean let’s be honest the dealership bar is set pretty low and one would assume that the manufacture would want to raise the bar, apparently not. BTW, they also did not provide a physical bill of sale at delivery. I can print out an invoice online if need be.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:23 PM   #235
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Hm. My buddy with the Rivian had tags on his truck the day it was delivered. He's a Mass resident.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:30 PM   #236
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Hm. My buddy with the Rivian had tags on his truck the day it was delivered. He's a Mass resident.
Guessing MA laws might be stricter about that stuff (based on what Sarafil said above).
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:31 PM   #237
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Right… I am not impressed with their current manufacture to consumer process. To be blunt, it sucks! I have not heard from one Rivian employee since delivery. One would think that they would want to know how the vehicle is doing and if I had any questions? I mean let’s be honest the dealership bar is set pretty low and one would assume that the manufacture would want to raise the bar, apparently not. BTW, they also did not provide a physical bill of sale at delivery. I can print out an invoice online if need be.
Yeah..as much as we all hate dealers it does seem like none of these newer "direct to consumer" models are working that well either (other than making the ordering and purchase process simpler).
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:43 PM   #238
SCA
Jaded

A local R1T owner that I have befriended just got his tags a week or so ago and he has had his truck since the end of March. He had to become a thorn in Rivian’s side to get it as he only had about 14 days remaining on his Illinois temporary tag.

Edit: Added two pics from last night. I like the color as it is a real Chamaeleon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8BC229A3-E648-4903-AFD9-FD4629976A05.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	14939  Click image for larger version

Name:	BD39726A-9E30-4E38-B510-74870E826F34.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	14940  
Old 07-11-2022, 02:54 PM   #239
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Rivian and Lucid

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Guessing MA laws might be stricter about that stuff (based on what Sarafil said above).

Yea it’s required. A paper temp tag is not valid in MA if you are a MA resident- car needs permanent MA tags affixed which means car is registered and title applied for. Car would be impounded with out of state temp tag. I guess one of the few times the clunky MA process works to your advantage.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:20 PM   #240
Alan
Carmudgeon

I didn’t even know returning it was a possibility, do you think it is because it is such an expensive car you are having second thoughts ? It is a lot of money and when spending that kind of money I would think you would want to be loving this car which is not the case.

I had a friend buy a used R8 at a little over $100k and it literally drove him crazy he spent that type of money on a car he wasn’t in love with to the point he sold it at a bit of a loss 6 months later.

Meanwhile he spent more then that on his current 991.2S and has had no second thoughts
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote