carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-27-2016, 10:02 AM   #31
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I don't get the 2er vert. A small car with an even smaller interior that is also quite heavy. I guess I'm not the use case.
#kids

I agree 100% the 1er/2er isn't the best option if you don't have kids and need a usable back seat.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:08 AM   #32
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
#kids

I agree 100% the 1er/2er isn't the best option if you don't have kids and need a usable back seat.
I haven't driven a 2er,* but if I was going to get a car like that it would either be an E46 M3 or a current Mustang GT, I think.

*Actually, this is false--I drove my neighbor's 2er when we were trying to get it out of a snow bank. But I don't think I can form an opinion on its dynamics.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:04 AM   #33
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I haven't driven a 2er,* but if I was going to get a car like that it would either be an E46 M3 or a current Mustang GT, I think.

*Actually, this is false--I drove my neighbor's 2er when we were trying to get it out of a snow bank. But I don't think I can form an opinion on its dynamics.

I'd prefer to own a 135 over the 235 all things equal, but I read at the start of the thread that FC (or his wife) wants to do a EU delivery, which means new.

The e46 m3 is really old for a daily driver, but I'm sure it is more fun/involving. I guess it depends how often its going to be used as a commuter, how much value you put in newer tech/infotainment, reliability, new car warrany, etc.

I'm not saying the 1er/2er is perfect, its just like the older 3 series where it does a whole lot of things really well... for me at least its the ultimate compromise machine. I've said in other threads, if you direct compare it to a boxster, it's not going to be 'fun', but if you look at the number of days you can't use a boxster because you need to drop off or pick up kids vs the number of days you can drop the top on the way to/from work in the 1er/2er for me at least the value is much bigger.

The savings of not needing maintenance, insurance, etc on a daily + roadster and being able to put all my car allowance in one nice car are big benefits for me.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 06-27-2016, 02:33 PM   #34
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
If you can swing it, buy this one:

http://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-m...boxster-s.html

I'm not on board with the new m3 so much. Great interior & seats, but every review I've read talks about its trouble in the wet and in putting down its power. Too much for a northeast DD IMHO.
'Been looking at it for a while, but sadly it's too much money and definitely the wrong time. Whatever I do won't happen until 2017.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:35 PM   #35
FC
Solving problems

I get that the 1er/2er are good 4-seat cabrios, but I don't see them being Miata/987S fun.

Don't get me wrong, bringing the kids along is a big plus. But if I wanted a family convertible, I think I rather get a Wrangler unlimited and bring the dog along as well.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:37 PM   #36
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I get that the 1er/2er are good 4-seat cabrios, but I don't see them being Miata/987S fun.

Don't get me wrong, bringing the kids along is a big plus. But if I wanted a family convertible, I think I rather get a Wrangler unlimited and bring the dog along as well.
But didn't you already sell a perfectly good boxster and a 911 turbo because you couldn't use it enough due to kid duty?
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 06-27-2016, 05:06 PM   #37
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
But didn't you already sell a perfectly good boxster and a 911 turbo because you couldn't use it enough due to kid duty?
Right. In the first case, I could not financially afford a Boxster I could seldom drive. Also both my kids were on RF seats. It was also 2-3 yo and stood to depreciate a bunch still. I was paying 6% interest on that car.

In the 2nd case, I didn't want a Turbo as a sports car, I wanted to have a boxter. The 997TT fell in my lap as a sports car that carried kids. It did. Was great, and had it for three years. I could have kept it, but prefer to have the cash for financial reasons. I took a decent profit on it too.

I hope that financially I can reallocate some (but not all) of the 997TT funds towards a mostly depreciated fun car. By next year both my sons will be off booster seats in case they ever wanted a short ride.

Things change over 8 years. Keeping the boxster back then would have meant paying interest on a rapidly depreciating car I seldom used while I drive the kids around in a beat up jeep. A boxster now means a reasonably depreciated and fully paid for car while I drive the kids around in a new LR.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:43 PM   #38
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The reviews of the 124 Spider have been pretty complimentary. Might be worth driving one of those.

But it's hard to imagine it'll be better than a Boxster.
I think I'm actually going to go drive a Miata, and when I can, a Spider Abarth.

Here's how I think it could be better than a boxster. As I've gotten older I've stopped driving like an asshole on public roads. This includes driving aggressively on rural back roads with blind corners, and going 100+ on the highways. I just don't.

So on a rural back back road where you want to have fun, yet not piss off the neighbors and risk killing their booger eaters playing in the street, I can (at least theoretically) see a Miata / Fiata hitting the spot nicely.

rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:55 PM   #39
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I think I'm actually going to go drive a Miata, and when I can, a Spider Abarth.

Here's how I think it could be better than a boxster. As I've gotten older I've stopped driving like an asshole on public roads. This includes driving aggressively on rural back roads with blind corners, and going 100+ on the highways. I just don't.

So on a rural back back road where you want to have fun, yet not piss off the neighbors and risk killing their booger eaters playing in the street, I can (at least theoretically) see a Miata / Fiata hitting the spot nicely.

I heartily endorse driving both, just to see what they are like. That said, I don't think of the Boxster as having limits that are so high that it can't be enjoyed at a leisurely pace.

You aren't going to be sliding it around on public roads, true, but even at moderate speeds it's a pleasure to drive--communicative and rewarding. This is in sharp contrast to something like the E90 M3, which was really only fun when you were winding it out to its colossally high redline at insane speeds.

You also aren't going to lose much money on a properly aged Boxster, so even if the initial purchase price is similar the total cost of ownership might actually bend in the Boxster's favor.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:18 PM   #40
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Fair enough. I agree a boxster / cayman needs to be on the list before deciding.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote