carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #101
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
I had one of these in the rear of my Wrangler. It was entertaining.

bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #102
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
You could sell the p-car and buy this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/263281010767?rmvSB=true
That’s cool! Love the uprated rims.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #103
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Did it kick in on the street when accelerating in the rain or around a corner? Or did the e-diff handle that?

Nope. Not from what I can tell.

They claim the G80 functions as a "light biased limited slip" in normal conditions.
E-diff? What E-diff? My truck didn't even have traction control!

It worked okay in the rain, but it was a 3/4 ton pickup. You weren't zipping around corners in the rain.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:36 PM   #104
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Matt seems to be going through similar fleet questions as I. My need for a truck is far less than him, though. I was very close to pulling the trigger on an older Range Rover full-sized a few months ago, but now that we are buried in home repairs, that's looking less likely.

I did some hourly rentals at Home Depot recently.

1. F250: Perhaps the most awful vehicle I've ever driven. Words could not describe how harsh the ride, how awful the steering and on and on. It did the "job" fit 4x8 comfortably and 12' beams go over the top and are not even visible above your windshield. I don't have that level of need very often. Stuck in traffic as well, nerve-racking. Tiny dead end street that I live on, again nerve-racking.

2. Ford Transit Van, 10' bed: Surprisingly good. Much better ride and some actual steering feel/connection. Pretty decent auto box. Still RWD I think.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:26 PM   #105
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Does Enterprise not rent trucks in the Northeast? The local Enterprise here has a few nicely loaded F150's Silerado's and Rams
Old 10-30-2017, 06:55 AM   #106
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Does Enterprise not rent trucks in the Northeast? The local Enterprise here has a few nicely loaded F150's Silerado's and Rams
Yep, I recommended that on page 1
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:40 AM   #107
John V
No more BMWs

Renting a truck sort of works if you know in advance that you'll need a truck on a given day, and if you have a way to get to and from the rental place, and you're okay waiting around and filling out paperwork, and...

In other words I think it would be OK if you were planning on doing a home reno project or moving a bunch of stuff on a given day, but other than that it's pretty inconvenient.

I actually contemplated renting trucks to tow to and from big autocross events a number of years ago. It looked financially like it could be a decent deal (taking into account insurance, repairs and maintenance on a vehicle I owned) but the inconvenience killed that idea pretty quickly.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:21 AM   #108
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Renting a truck sort of works if you know in advance that you'll need a truck on a given day, and if you have a way to get to and from the rental place, and you're okay waiting around and filling out paperwork, and...

In other words I think it would be OK if you were planning on doing a home reno project or moving a bunch of stuff on a given day, but other than that it's pretty inconvenient.

I actually contemplated renting trucks to tow to and from big autocross events a number of years ago. It looked financially like it could be a decent deal (taking into account insurance, repairs and maintenance on a vehicle I owned) but the inconvenience killed that idea pretty quickly.
In my case, I only need a truck a couple times a year (this year it was a graduation party rental pick up and the ATV purchase). Everything else the wagon can easily handle. We have an enterprise about 15 mins from my house. I make a reservation, leave my car in their lot and bring it back when I'm done. They'll also pick you up and deliver the truck for free, which eliminates the need to get there. Plus they have full size pickups, cargo vans and smaller pick ups, so you have the option to get the vehicle that best meets your need.

If I needed a truck on really short notice, I'd go to the home-depot, but a 2*4 and rent theirs. (Or if I'm being honest, I'd call my co-worker with a truck or my father in law and grab theirs).
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:37 AM   #109
John V
No more BMWs

I mean, that's great that it works for you, but I'm 30 minutes from the nearest Enterprise and I can only imagine how far Matt's lakehouse is from one.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:39 AM   #110
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
In my case, I only need a truck a couple times a year (this year it was a graduation party rental pick up and the ATV purchase). Everything else the wagon can easily handle. We have an enterprise about 15 mins from my house. I make a reservation, leave my car in their lot and bring it back when I'm done. They'll also pick you up and deliver the truck for free, which eliminates the need to get there. Plus they have full size pickups, cargo vans and smaller pick ups, so you have the option to get the vehicle that best meets your need.

If I needed a truck on really short notice, I'd go to the home-depot, but a 2*4 and rent theirs. (Or if I'm being honest, I'd call my co-worker with a truck or my father in law and grab theirs).
The Enterprise lot in our town is is partially enclosed with a barbwire fence. The trucks are stored in this lockable area, and I assume I could leave my car in this pen when renting. I didn't ask about leaving my car, but did have them pick me up and return me after renting as they are only about 3 miles from my house.