carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #11
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Man, that thing is such a nutsack extension.

Or you can get the smaller truck nuts. Looks like they even fit on Jeeps.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:34 PM   #12
ARCHER
Crotchety

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post

Drive it some time, FC. . . you might change your mind.

The new Wranglers drive better than my era . . . but it's on-road manners are still compromised by it's suspension design (which is awesome on the trails) and probably no where near what modern SUVs are.

Power wise, Wranglers always had "just enough" power. . . . as in, just enough to move the Jeep. If you drive "normally" the way most other people drive they'll probably be fine. Just don't expect great performance out of the engine. . . think slow mini-van speed.

As for the X vs. Sahara vs. Rubicon. . .

Well, you have the brochures and will figure something out for you. But for me I'd either go X or Rubicon. In my mind the Sahara only offers cosmetic upgrades and, well, it's a Jeep so what's the point? . . . actually "I" would go Rubicon but that's because I'd put all that awesome offroad capability to use. For you? Would you use the Rubi's capabilities? Do you really want all that fancy cosmetic stuff on the Sahara trim line? I can tell you that the Wrangler's basic 4x4 system does an amazing job even in severe conditions . . so if you're looking for snowy road, gravel mountain routes, or heck, even some serious offroad trail conditions, then the X will be more than plenty traction wise.

I don't want to talk you out of a Rubi, I think they're awesome and hopefully you'd use it offroad. But if you have zero intention of doing that . . .

An option is to get an X and then fix it up the way you want. Toss on your own wheels/tires. Or put on your own tow-bar/rear bumper. You'd likely get your Jeep outfitted for less with more robust aftermarket parts.

Anyways

People need to adjust the metric by which they measure a Wrangler. It's not a car, it's not an SUV, it's not a truck, certainly not a sports car. It's a Jeep.

Its a utilitarian vehicle designed for the outdoors. It'll take you places you'd be surprised you can drive. And it'll handle bad weather, crappy roads, snow, floods, and mud holes with grace.

On good days it turns into a convertible. VERY convertible. The windshield folds down and the doors come off in addition to the top coming down. This offers a sense of openness not found in anything short of a motorcycle. There are myriad ways to configure any wrangler to fit your needs / environmental conditions.

And the interior, while "shitty" is probably one of the best set up interiors for dealing with wet, muddy, dirty passengers (you know, who actually get outdoors and play in nature). The carpets fit poorly but that is because you can unsnap them and remove the from the vehicle. Why? So you can HOSE OUT the interior. Yeah, that's right, how many other vehicle can you spray out the passenger cabin with a garden hose?

And it's drive train is also designed toward this ruggedness. Solid live axles at each end are durable, simple, offer tremendous flexibility, and safely encase all drivetrain components (no rubber SV boots to tear). They use an "old school" locking transfercase to switch between 2WD, 4Hi and 4Lo. In the case of the Rubicons that 4-low is a 4:1 crawl ratio for extra low-end grunt. So there's no shifting of power front/rear . . . it's always 50/50 power distrubution and each axle always has power to it. No computerized mumbo-jumbo to get in the way.
I agree with Lup.

Had the Unlimited been out when I bought my '05 Rubicon, it would still be in my garage. I see a few in my area that have been thoughtfully lifted and outfitted for the trail. They look fantastic, are as capable as one will find and get "reasonable" fuel economy. The real beauty is in their simplicity if you care to turn the wrench on it - probably one of the last bastions of its kind in todays automotive world as far as purpose-built machines go.

I'm seriously considering ditching the F-250 for an Unlimited Rubicon, given the price of diesel.

BTW, Lup... know anyone in the market for a set of five '05 OEM Moabs in excellent condition? Mine are for sale.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:41 AM   #13
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:

Drive it some time, FC. . . you might change your mind.

The new Wranglers drive better than my era . . . but it's on-road manners are still compromised by it's suspension design (which is awesome on the trails) and probably no where near what modern SUVs are.

Power wise, Wranglers always had "just enough" power. . . . as in, just enough to move the Jeep. If you drive "normally" the way most other people drive they'll probably be fine. Just don't expect great performance out of the engine. . . think slow mini-van speed.

As for the X vs. Sahara vs. Rubicon. . .

Well, you have the brochures and will figure something out for you. But for me I'd either go X or Rubicon. In my mind the Sahara only offers cosmetic upgrades and, well, it's a Jeep so what's the point? . . . actually "I" would go Rubicon but that's because I'd put all that awesome offroad capability to use. For you? Would you use the Rubi's capabilities? Do you really want all that fancy cosmetic stuff on the Sahara trim line? I can tell you that the Wrangler's basic 4x4 system does an amazing job even in severe conditions . . so if you're looking for snowy road, gravel mountain routes, or heck, even some serious offroad trail conditions, then the X will be more than plenty traction wise.

I don't want to talk you out of a Rubi, I think they're awesome and hopefully you'd use it offroad. But if you have zero intention of doing that . . .

An option is to get an X and then fix it up the way you want. Toss on your own wheels/tires. Or put on your own tow-bar/rear bumper. You'd likely get your Jeep outfitted for less with more robust aftermarket parts.

Anyways

People need to adjust the metric by which they measure a Wrangler. It's not a car, it's not an SUV, it's not a truck, certainly not a sports car. It's a Jeep.

Its a utilitarian vehicle designed for the outdoors. It'll take you places you'd be surprised you can drive. And it'll handle bad weather, crappy roads, snow, floods, and mud holes with grace.

On good days it turns into a convertible. VERY convertible. The windshield folds down and the doors come off in addition to the top coming down. This offers a sense of openness not found in anything short of a motorcycle. There are myriad ways to configure any wrangler to fit your needs / environmental conditions.

And the interior, while "shitty" is probably one of the best set up interiors for dealing with wet, muddy, dirty passengers (you know, who actually get outdoors and play in nature). The carpets fit poorly but that is because you can unsnap them and remove the from the vehicle. Why? So you can HOSE OUT the interior. Yeah, that's right, how many other vehicle can you spray out the passenger cabin with a garden hose?

And it's drive train is also designed toward this ruggedness. Solid live axles at each end are durable, simple, offer tremendous flexibility, and safely encase all drivetrain components (no rubber SV boots to tear). They use an "old school" locking transfercase to switch between 2WD, 4Hi and 4Lo. In the case of the Rubicons that 4-low is a 4:1 crawl ratio for extra low-end grunt. So there's no shifting of power front/rear . . . it's always 50/50 power distrubution and each axle always has power to it. No computerized mumbo-jumbo to get in the way.
I agree with 100%. I understand what a Wrangler is about. That is why I like it. Now, that doesn't mean I will go do serious off roading often. But I do expect to have several experiences through places normal cars (or at least MY other cars) will not be able to get through. Try going to any state park in this area in the spring or after rainy summer rainstorm and the roads/trails parking areas are are a muddy, rocky mess. The family convertible thing is also extremely appealing. I love that you can hose off the interior and in fact am bummed about no vinyl seats (although being a convertible, cloth seats are probably good to prevent 3rd degree burns in hot, sunny, summer days. I don't expect it to be refined or ride nicely. I expect it to be pretty bruttish and crappy on the street. I'm ok with that. It will be rarely driven. The only time I will care about the ride in the street is on the way to having fun - like hwy drives to NH, etc.

I am not trying to argue that I need this car. But it fills a niche and performs all the dirty work so the other cars (all of them, sporty, low, nice) don't have to. It's a luxury, a toy. If I were to spend $$$ on a snowmobile and a jet ski nobody would care. But I think of spend money on a Wrangler and all of a sudden some of you start telling me it doesn't make sense for me to buy one?

I see this potential future wrangler purchase as nothing more than a cooler and more expensive version of the Jeep Cherokee idea I've floated around a lot in the past here.

Would a Wrangler be underused if I owned one? Sure, but so are many people's pick up trucks. And not for lack of wanting.

If I buy a weekend sportscar, I honestly feel it would actually make less sense than a wrangler. A roadster would be used purely for fun drives. It would perform no other fucntion than to attempt to make me smile. A Wrangler would actually do stuff no other car in the garage can do and perform other needs better.

FWIW, other options for the spare SUV include the 4Runner, TLC, GM SUV, etc. I just feel that if it's going to fill a niche, better go all out and get something special. The idea of taking the whole family + dog in a convertible jeep out for ice cream in the summer seems like fun. They hold their value ridiculously well too, so that's good.

Anyhow, I don't feel I need to explain myself, but I just did anyhow. This was simply a thread on my impressions of the car.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:27 AM   #14
rautox
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: Phone book... or two
I think of mine as a fast tractor. I like it
rautox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:00 AM   #15
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by rautox View Post
Old 04-02-2008, 10:06 AM   #16
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Subarus are tractor enough for me. Whenever I switched from the bmw or porsche to my gf's subie, I thought farm machinery, fun but farm machinery nonetheless.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #17
lupinsea
Jeeped

Quote:
Originally Posted by rautox View Post
Perfect!

Old 04-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #18
Nick M3
Relic

I have to admit that Wranglers can be a boatload of fun on the street. You can have ridiculous fun at speeds that are, well, low.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #19
lupinsea
Jeeped

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I agree with 100%. I understand what a Wrangler is about. That is why I like it. Now, that doesn't mean I will go do serious off roading often. But I do expect to have several experiences through places normal cars (or at least MY other cars) will not be able to get through. Try going to any state park in this area in the spring or after rainy summer rainstorm and the roads/trails parking areas are are a muddy, rocky mess. The family convertible thing is also extremely appealing. I love that you can hose off the interior and in fact am bummed about no vinyl seats (although being a convertible, cloth seats are probably good to prevent 3rd degree burns in hot, sunny, summer days. I don't expect it to be refined or ride nicely. I expect it to be pretty bruttish and crappy on the street. I'm ok with that. It will be rarely driven. The only time I will care about the ride in the street is on the way to having fun - like hwy drives to NH, etc.

I am not trying to argue that I need this car. But it fills a niche and performs all the dirty work so the other cars (all of them, sporty, low, nice) don't have to. It's a luxury, a toy. If I were to spend $$$ on a snowmobile and a jet ski nobody would care. But I think of spend money on a Wrangler and all of a sudden some of you start telling me it doesn't make sense for me to buy one?

I see this potential future wrangler purchase as nothing more than a cooler and more expensive version of the Jeep Cherokee idea I've floated around a lot in the past here.

Would a Wrangler be underused if I owned one? Sure, but so are many people's pick up trucks. And not for lack of wanting.

If I buy a weekend sportscar, I honestly feel it would actually make less sense than a wrangler. A roadster would be used purely for fun drives. It would perform no other fucntion than to attempt to make me smile. A Wrangler would actually do stuff no other car in the garage can do and perform other needs better.

FWIW, other options for the spare SUV include the 4Runner, TLC, GM SUV, etc. I just feel that if it's going to fill a niche, better go all out and get something special. The idea of taking the whole family + dog in a convertible jeep out for ice cream in the summer seems like fun. They hold their value ridiculously well too, so that's good.

Anyhow, I don't feel I need to explain myself, but I just did anyhow. This was simply a thread on my impressions of the car.

Ah. . . sorry about that. I just wanted to make sure you weren't setting yourself up for, um, disappointment in the ride/handling department. From reading other posts you seem very particular in your other cars.

I didn't want to talk you out of it. . . hell, I think they're fun as all get-out! They're just a different kind of fun than sports cars and performance sedans. And you're right, the Wranglers are a very particular breed that I think would fulfill many of your needs/wants in a utility vehicle while offering some fun features the others won't (convertivle, doors off, etc., etc.).

To my warped Jeeper mind they seem like a logical choice if one doesn't do a lot of heavy towing.

As for retaining their value. . . Oof! Tell me about it. That's good for owners. . . bad for potential used Wrangler buyers.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #20
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
As for retaining their value. . . Oof! Tell me about it. That's good for owners. . . bad for potential used Wrangler buyers.
Yup, that plus the fact that who knows what a previous owner did with a Rubicon (perhaps modded beyond what I want), and the new lifetime warranty (for new buyers only) + special financing really makes one think about getting one new. Nevermind that you can get exactly what you want.