carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
truckers protesting diesel costs slow NJ traffic...

....i swear to god if i got caught in that traffic, i would start blowing up 18 wheeler indiscriminately that would make me so angry.

it's one thing to protest, but typical non-thinking moronathons want to back up traffic for miles, too.

now, i actually hope those guys suffer.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
Optimus Prime
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Golf TDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
....i swear to god if i got caught in that traffic, i would start blowing up 18 wheeler indiscriminately that would make me so angry.

it's one thing to protest, but typical non-thinking moronathons want to back up traffic for miles, too.

now, i actually hope those guys suffer.
I heard they made a mess of traffic in Chicago. Protesting diesel prices.. stupid morons. How does tying up traffic do anything about gas prices? Is it the fault of commuters that diesel is expensive?

It's almost as stupid as invading Iraq because of Osama and Co.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
lemming
Western Anomaly

yeah, i guess that was my point, too.

protest all you want, but why ruin every one else's night, too?

let's be honest, it's not as though the average commuter really like truckers anyway --this sort of thing goes a long way to improving this, no?

Old 04-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #4
Aerials
Jaded

Carmudgeonly Ride: 3.5 SE
Truckers did a similiar thing here in Cali when the gas prices started going up. They all parked their rigs in the middle of freeways to stop traffic. Bunch of retards.
Aerials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:35 AM   #5
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
yeah, i guess that was my point, too.

protest all you want, but why ruin every one else's night, too?
Because they want you to take notice - they'd only be called "morons" if they marched around on foot in a circle in an empty parking lot.

Call it what you will; civil disobedience, disorderly conduct or demonstrations - the whole point is to create a ruckus and get lots of attention - maximum bang for the buck.

It's especially effective if it's done in a forum that highlights the demonstrator's issues - the highway certainly seems appropriate.

It'd piss me off, too, but that's the idea - to make YOU a part of the inconvenience these guys are living.

Ed

Last edited by Sharp11; 04-02-2008 at 12:38 AM. Reason: added quote
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:56 AM   #6
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
It'd piss me off, too, but that's the idea - to make YOU a part of the inconvenience these guys are living.

Ed
This seems to be an effective way of communicating their frustrations. This isn't directed at you, Sharp, but wouldn't it make more sense to just adjust their shipping rates according to current fuel prices?
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:45 AM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Time to expand the rail system.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #8
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
This seems to be an effective way of communicating their frustrations. This isn't directed at you, Sharp, but wouldn't it make more sense to just adjust their shipping rates according to current fuel prices?
It's an effective way of communicating the need to levy another tax on them.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Because they want you to take notice - they'd only be called "morons" if they marched around on foot in a circle in an empty parking lot.

Call it what you will; civil disobedience, disorderly conduct or demonstrations - the whole point is to create a ruckus and get lots of attention - maximum bang for the buck.

It's especially effective if it's done in a forum that highlights the demonstrator's issues - the highway certainly seems appropriate.

Ed
it's not productive to alienate the masses --you sort of want them to empathize with you, not despise you more than they already do.

for guys who get paid by the mile, sitting idle in truckstops or slowing their progress --gosh, sure seems like a bright way to protest to me. unless i'm missing something (and i usually do), it seems the best way is to pass on the cost to the consumer like all of the other sectors of the economy.

so if fuel (a speculated commodity) was the primary cost of my business, i guess in a semi-capitalist paradigm i might think about how to reduce or to control those costs. i don't personally know, but how much pressure is on the OEM manufacturers to reach fuel efficiency?

Old 04-02-2008, 09:24 AM   #10
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I don't understand something.. Why is diesel so much more expensive than gasoline? Isn't it a "lower" product in the refinery hierarchy? In RoW, diesel is MUCH cheaper than gasoline. Is RoW subsidizing diesel or is the good'ole USA subsidizing gasoline?
equ is offline   Reply With Quote