carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-27-2008, 11:50 AM   #31
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Good set-up, JST, but the clubman is just hideous.
equ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #32
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
What about:

ML 320 CDI
JCW Cooper S Clubman (the "wagon")
03 Boxster S

As someone who drives a Cooper S non-Clubman almost exclusively on the weekends, I am fairly certain that the Clubman will do perfectly well for 90 percent of the driving that you do today. Maybe more. For those trips where you really, really need a bigger car (road trips to Canada, e.g.), the ML is likely to be big enough.

And the Boxster S is the cheap sports car.
That ain't bad, really. But driving a clubman daily, I dunno.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #33
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
How big of an SUV do you need/want? Do you want a lux SUV or can it be more practical?

My mother has had a first-gen Honda CR-V for the past 8 years that is a great car for what it is. She lives in western MD (mountains) and loves the car. It is average in the snow (I like my 318 with snows better) and gets okay mileage (~22-25mpg). I like the 2nd-gen CR-V much better and it would be my choice for an SUV if I had to take the plunge.

I also like the Ridgeline if you wanted something bigger/truckish, but most people can't get over the styling (or lack thereof).
If we get the wagon and a back-up SUV, I would definitely NOT want it to be a luxury SUV. I'd want it as rugged as I can get it. Like a 4 Runner or even a Wrangler Unlimited. Like I said, I'll start a new thread on this. My wife thinks it shoudl be big so we don't have to borrow my dad's pick-up (think Yukon/Tahoe), but I think there is little a Yukon can do that a 4Runner with the seats dropped can't, and some things only pickups can do due to roofs on SUV's.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:21 PM   #34
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
That ain't bad, really. But driving a clubman daily, I dunno.
Why not? Because of space? Because it's weird looking? Or because it's cheap/cheesy?

Trust me, once you acclimate to the Mini, it's a lot nicer to drive in urbana/suburbana than many other, bigger (more expensive) cars (cough335cough). I haven't driven the Clubman, but the reviews suggest that it's overall character is the same as the coupe. As I've said before, with one kid even the coupe is fine as a daily driver. Space-wise, I am sure that the Clubman is more than big enough.

As for the wacky kind of cheeseball styling, I happen to like it. I especially dig the rear doors. But YMMV on that score.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:24 PM   #35
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
if it feels good, do it

and fuck everyone else
Werd.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #36
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
I think the rear doors would piss me off in the rear view mirror.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #37
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Why not? Because of space? Because it's weird looking? Or because it's cheap/cheesy?

Trust me, once you acclimate to the Mini, it's a lot nicer to drive in urbana/suburbana than many other, bigger (more expensive) cars (cough335cough). I haven't driven the Clubman, but the reviews suggest that it's overall character is the same as the coupe. As I've said before, with one kid even the coupe is fine as a daily driver. Space-wise, I am sure that the Clubman is more than big enough.

As for the wacky kind of cheeseball styling, I happen to like it. I especially dig the rear doors. But YMMV on that score.
I don't like the looks, and I don't think it's as practical as a wagon. But I'm not totally nixing that idea. It' sjust that the MCS hatch looks much cooler, and it's compact dimensions make sit very appealing in a few ways. If I can make an MCS (hatch) work as a DD, I would absolutely give it serious consideration.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #38
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
As I see it, a wagon and an SUV pretty much fill the same niche (cargo haulers) with the difference being the wagons are too low to the ground for rough terrain and you don't like driving an SUV if you don't have need for it's utility.

Otherwise, unless you get a fancy wagon (535) and it's associated price ($$$) you don't seem to really like either choice.

Yet you need some multi-person hauler for the family.

What about get your sports car, get your wife an MCS, and get some 3rd vehicle as your utility vehicle . . . and just suck it up when you need to use it. Besides, it doesn't sound like you drive all THAT much during the week. Didn't you say something like 13 miles / day?

Also, consider a trailer for your messy load situation.

Sport wagon/sedan with tow hitch + trailer for messy load?

I got tired of borrowing my aunt's truck and got a trailer (if you remember, ). It has been working out awesomely! I can knock it down have have it folded up against the garage wall in about 3-5 minutes. . . like wise for getting it ready to use. So far I've never maxed out the trailer weight (though got close with the sod hauling). And I don't have to worry about it getting messy. There's scads of "cargo room" for my uses. And I'm probably getting close to paying for the trailer cost from gas savings along for not having to run out and borrow my aunt's truck and all the driving that entails.

Other benefits of a trailer:
- MUCH cheaper than a 3rd/4th car (min was ~$600 total with EVERYTHING)
- Don't have to insure it
- Virtually no maintenance (grease bearings once in a while)

I was going nuts with the need for a pick-up truck until the trailer idea came along. Now I'm rather glad I don't have a pick-up truck. The trailer is a perfect fit.

The downside to this is that you'd still want at least one of your cars to travel rough terrain. How's this, then:

Fun car for you
Fun car for your wife (MCS)
Jeep (tows trailer, rough terrain, can be had w/ auto or stick, plus you sorta have wanted one)

So. . . I dunno.

It's like things are being over analyzed down to their infintesimal uses. Ideally you'd have all four types of cars (your sports car, your wife's MCS, a sport wagon AND SUV/Truck/etc.).

But, do you want 4 vehicles? It doesn't sound like you drive a whole lot. If you don't want 4, then what 2 vehicles can you combine uses?

It would seem that a wagon / SUV have the most over lap (as opposed to a 911 and an SUV) . . . and if you REALLY need some rough-terrain capability then that would indicated to me an SUV.

So, what's the best situation / comfort for you:

4 vehicles (and insurance, maintenance, parking related stuff)

or

3 vehicles (one being an SUV BUT you have one less car to deal with)

I'm "sorta" in your shoes, come to think of it.
  • I have a ZHP, too.
  • We also have a Volvo wagon (though V50)
  • But I have a Jeep ( )

Oh, and I also have a kiddo on the way.

Some day I'll get another sports car but it won't be for several years. In the mean time the Jeep + trailer works great for my utility uses. The Jeep works great for top-down driving, offroading, camping, rough-terrain, hazardous road conditions, mountain road exploring, dog transport, and many many other uses).

The ZHP is my fun road car and my DD commuter car.

The Volvo is my wife's car.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #39
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
CONGRATS ON THE BABY!!!

Agreed. The most overlap is wagon/suv. If I can be convinced an MCS hatch is practical enough as a DD, then it'sano-brainer: MCS, Sportscar, and SUV as a family vehicle. I just doubt an MCS will be a practical enough DD to essentially replace the ZHP.

I also don't likethe prospect of several long family trips in an SUV vs. a wagon. Maybe I'm too biased in that regard.

In other good news, the local P-car dealership has a '00 986S they just got. I plan on test-driving it tomorrow.

Last edited by FC; 03-27-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #40
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
So . . . looking at a DD vehicle, what do you need it to do? What are it's typical, majority-use things it needs to do? If the MCS fulfills 75% or 80% of a DD's duty is it good enough to get by without need for a 4th car?

IIRC I though you said your wife drove down to the local transit center a couple miles away and left a car parked in the lot most of the day. And I thought you said it'd be you going taking your kid to daycare, no? I can't remember the particulars.

So, DD duty . . . would that be kiddo transport + driver?

Or would that be Mom + Dad + Kiddo?

If it's the former can a car seat be mounted in front? My Jeep and the Miata have a switch to turn off the front passenger airbag so that you "can" put a kid up front (the Jeep also has that LATCH anchor system in the back or whatever it is for car seats).

Anyways, if it's just a driver + kiddo maybe the car seat can be put up front with an airbag turned off for saftey to ease putting kiddo in and out of the MCS if you use it as a DD with only one adult driving.

For my own family's situation I just know well be taking the Volvo for any family trips that include the whole family (mom + dad + kiddo + dog). If it's just us humans with our dog staying at my aunt's 11 acre "farm" then maybe the ZHP, but I doubt it. In either case I wouldn't be really pushing it on the driving front with the whole family in the car so in that regard I'm not as concerned about "fun" driving. If an SUV was safe enough I'd have no issue using it.

I drove my dad's Durango on a 900+ mile round trip 2-day road trip once. Wasn't a great drive but it got the job done. . . and provided a sleeping area in the back at night at the rest stop so I could save $X / night on motel lodging.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote