carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-30-2016, 10:53 AM   #21
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post

I'm genuinely interested in the Model Triple Bar / Hamburger Button. But not so much that I can't wait until the car is actually available to sit in and drive
That's why the ability to defer the order was important to me.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:03 AM   #22
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
That's why the ability to defer the order was important to me.
Like I said above, the only way you'll be ordering "blind" is if you're prepared to order one of the fully loaded Pxx models. If you're thinking of something less than that, the cars will almost certainly be out and available to drive before you have to click the confirm button.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:04 AM   #23
bren
lawn boy

I don't know what I'm ordering if I haven't seen/experienced what will be available.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:14 AM   #24
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I don't know what I'm ordering if I haven't seen/experienced what will be available.
There will be some clarity late tomorrow, though it's not clear how much.

But, really, what's the worst that happens? Your place in line comes up, you haven't seen the car, so you cancel. Later, after you've seen the car, you re-order.

You're now in exactly the same position you would have been if you'd not put money down. You're only out the opportunity cost on $1000 for a year or so.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:29 AM   #25
bren
lawn boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
There will be some clarity late tomorrow, though it's not clear how much.

But, really, what's the worst that happens? Your place in line comes up, you haven't seen the car, so you cancel. Later, after you've seen the car, you re-order.

You're now in exactly the same position you would have been if you'd not put money down. You're only out the opportunity cost on $1000 for a year or so.
Or just wait and see.

Then the issue becomes the rebate. Seems kind of silly to effectively spend $7500 more than another guy because of a few months one way or the other. I'd probably wait for a used one at that point though.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #26
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Looks like some info may have been leaked: http://electrek.co/2016/03/30/tesla-model-3-specs/

This sounds like the full-spec version, not base... We'll see how close it is during the reveal.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:56 PM   #27
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Looks like some info may have been leaked: http://electrek.co/2016/03/30/tesla-model-3-specs/

This sounds like the full-spec version, not base... We'll see how close it is during the reveal.
Obviously, it goes without saying that you should take those specs with a grain of salt, but I'm going to go one step further--take everything you hear tomorrow with a grain of salt. Tesla is not at all above giving aggressive specs that later turn out to be either not right or only technically correct.

See, e.g., the range of the P85D, and the horsepower of same. Neither of those turned out to match, in the real world, what was announced at launch.

That said, there's nothing particularly surprising in those numbers. I don't think the performance version of the Model 3 will have an EPA range of 300+ miles, though it's possible that one of the lesser cars will--that's more likely a steady state cruising range (which is what Tesla generally quotes before getting certification). But I don't doubt a sub-4 second 0-60 time, given what they are already doing with the Model S.

Honestly, the spec that I think is the most optimistic in that leak is the top end of the price range. I'd be stunned if it maxes out at 60K. I'm guessing more like 80. Keep in mind that the price spread on the Model S is nearly $50,000.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:11 PM   #28
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
The interesting metric to me is miles / dollar. I honestly wouldn't really care if the thing did six seconds to 60 if it could go 300+ miles on a charge. That would open up the usage of the thing tremendously.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:17 PM   #29
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
The interesting metric to me is miles / dollar. I honestly wouldn't really care if the thing did six seconds to 60 if it could go 300+ miles on a charge. That would open up the usage of the thing tremendously.
Would it? I don't know--I don't see a huge difference in usability between a 250 mile range EV (which I own) and a 300 mile range EV. The number of times my car has been below 50 miles of charge is...maybe once?

Now, my driving is not your driving, and that extra 50 miles might be critical for you. But to me the real watershed mark is 200-250 miles, which we've already reached. At this point, it strikes me that the key is to make the batteries lighter and cheaper so the cars don't weigh and cost so much.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #30
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Would it? I don't know--I don't see a huge difference in usability between a 250 mile range EV (which I own) and a 300 mile range EV. The number of times my car has been below 50 miles of charge is...maybe once?

Now, my driving is not your driving, and that extra 50 miles might be critical for you. But to me the real watershed mark is 200-250 miles, which we've already reached. At this point, it strikes me that the key is to make the batteries lighter and cheaper so the cars don't weigh and cost so much.
Strictly from a personal use perspective, from my house to our lake cottage is between 267 and 297 miles. We do the drive at least 2x / month. We fill up when we leave, average 78mph and don't stop the whole way and make to the cottage in exactly 4hrs. When we get there, we have plenty of gas left to go to town the next morning for breakfast and fill up.

I'd want this car to be my family vehicle and be able to make that drive reliably and plug in when I get there without having to slow down or add more time to the drive. 300 miles is the minimum range a pure ev needs to have for it to work for me.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote