carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-16-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
987s or 987c

A long perseveration story....

CaymanS is brand new (<10miles), atlas gray and very basic (heated seats, bose). It's at a price that I find hard to believe (otherwise it would not be in range). If you are seriously in the market, pm me. They have a few - all lightly optioned.

BoxS is 05, 3000 very babied miles (6 mos into warranty), seal gray, xenons, htd seats and sport shifter (yummy). Priced about 1000 above galves wholesale or at edmunds private party (perhaps galves is too high this one time?).

I think the BoxS is fairly priced and I'm still wondering what the catch is on the low, low CayS price. Perhaps it's the market correcting the pricing of a coupe over an equivalent convertible. Or they just built too many for 06.

I'm very torn. Last weekend, after I ruled out the 997, I started shopping for the Boxster S. Sunday, I drove the said Boxster with the owner, didn't even put the top down, enjoyed the drive very much and kept gushing about it. He commented that the car was seeing high revs for the first time - and I believe him Called on Monday with an offer, seller accepted. An hour into my celebration, he called back and said he could not let it go after seeing how fun it was. I basically sold him his own car back.

Two days later, I chanced in on the Cayman deal. Had gone there to look at a new Boxster S, but was swayed by the prices. I've always liked hardtops, I drove a 07 base cayman, liked its solidity over bumps and better steering feel. Now that this was the target car, I went to the other dealer did not get even close to the offered prices but drove a stunning demo, silver with pccb's (great but not worth 8k to me), adaptive seats and on and on. Started really liking the lines of the car, its cute, small build and its up and coming, challenging the 911 nature.

Today I left a deposit to secure the Cayman deal, my gf had never been in one and I hadn't driven a CaymanS at my place of purchase so I asked to drive the Cayman S demo there. This demo also had some the power seat option that I was pondering. Check engine light was on and didn't really feel it to be fast enough! Not sure if I'm getting used to it or if this car was genuinely slow. Found it so easy, so intuitive it was almost like driving an economy car. Kinda missed the conquering the car feeling (turning with the 911, smooth shifting with the newer bmws). There was nothing to conquer, it was like walking. My gf loved it (actually that's another sigh that it drives as easily as a honda) but I still was left a bit cool... Should I attribute it to that particular demo or to anticipated buyers' remorse?

Both deals are good enough that if I turn around I won't take a complete bath, but just the tax alone is 4k... I guess this is a good dilemma to be in.

Of course all of this is compounded with already having the zhp. Originally, for the s2000, I'd obviously keep it. I drive about 10k miles/year and they'd likely be divided equally. With the boxster, this started becoming a stretch but still I'd keep the zhp. With the Cayman, there seems to be no reason to do so as it meets 90% of my needs... Of course, for either porsche, I could argue that I need a beater car for when I go to warehouse parties or to run around NYC, and start shopping for an older a4 or e30. Hmmm, I guess if more perseveration is possible, why not?

Last edited by equ; 09-16-2006 at 10:13 PM.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Well do you want a convertable or not is the big question!!

All this boxster talk has peaked my interest as maybe my green car is getting a little long in the tooth. While there is no way I would ante up for the 987 I have been trolling ebay for 03-04 986's. I like the body updates they did that year and the addition of the glass back window. I think the interior is tollerable in black.

Equ,

What do you think of this one. It probabaly the best color and tire combo I found. Super nice!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-PS...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 09-18-2006, 01:19 PM   #3
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBM3C View Post
Well do you want a convertable or not is the big question!!

All this boxster talk has peaked my interest as maybe my green car is getting a little long in the tooth. While there is no way I would ante up for the 987 I have been trolling ebay for 03-04 986's. I like the body updates they did that year and the addition of the glass back window. I think the interior is tollerable in black.

Equ,

What do you think of this one. It probabaly the best color and tire combo I found. Super nice!!

Honestly, for 40 large I'd think about an 05 non-S as opposed to an 03 S. I say that without the benefit of having driven either, but I think the 05 updates (both to the interior and exterior) are so essential that I'd be willing to forego a bit of performance to get them...plus, you end up with a newer car.

For me, a car like this is meant to be a convertible. I don't see the sense in paying more for a closed-roof car unless you are going to be doing serious trackday type work. The Boxster has a solid enough structure that I didn't think the top was necessary, and the Cayman (which I've sat in but concededly never driven) feels way too claustrophobic for me, especially on a nice summer day.

Equ, your point about the smokin' deal on Caymans is interesting. I wonder how much trouble they are having moving these things now that the same engine is going to be in the '07 Boxsters.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I think you'll appreciate the torque of the 986 S motor as opposed to the 987 non-S motor, which makes its power higher in the rev range.

TBM3C, nice car, but I would not want to deal with metallic paint given how prone these cars are to stone chips. It'll be difficult or impossible to touch up. If that matters to you, of course...

I agree if you have the money, ponying up for an '03-'04 car with the glass rear window is a really good idea, even if I don't really like the front bumper update.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:34 PM   #5
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Equ,

Very nice color/wheels (better than 987s wheels for sure).

I've had a 996 and I just hate those seats and interior. I also like/need the 280hp engine. I also know that in the coming years the 05 will depreciate about the same $/yr as the 03 if not less. So for me it is simple, I will only consider 05+ porsches.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
For me, a car like this is meant to be a convertible. I don't see the sense in paying more for a closed-roof car unless you are going to be doing serious trackday type work. The Boxster has a solid enough structure that I didn't think the top was necessary, and the Cayman (which I've sat in but concededly never driven) feels way too claustrophobic for me, especially on a nice summer day.

The Cayman interior did seem a bit claustrophobic to me as well, but that was in the showroom. My wife preferred the drop-top too.

BTW, the base 987 is a suberb vehicle, other than "only" being zhp-fast.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:

Equ, your point about the smokin' deal on Caymans is interesting. I wonder how much trouble they are having moving these things now that the same engine is going to be in the '07 Boxsters.
Most places aren't dealing, one place is.

It's not just limits of handling. The Cayman rides and feels better over bumps. Once you've driven in it, the top/structure difference between it and the boxster is very clear. Its exterior is more attractive to me. The boxster exterior has been around for 10 years.

The boxster is a bit more exciting to drive from just top-downness and the one I found has a gray interior which I like. The Cayman deals are available only in black interior cars and this adds a bit to the claustrophobia. I'm not planning to track but I'm still attracted to this car.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:48 PM   #8
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Honestly, for 40 large I'd think about an 05 non-S as opposed to an 03 S. I say that without the benefit of having driven either, but I think the 05 updates (both to the interior and exterior) are so essential that I'd be willing to forego a bit of performance to get them...plus, you end up with a newer car.

JST,

If I get one I want the S and I dont wanna pay 05+ S money. I think the updates to the 03-04 models make the car better looking and more interesting. The 987 is a definete step up but the price also reflects that.

I dont think I could stand the underpowered regular boxster.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:11 PM   #9
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
JST,

If I get one I want the S and I dont wanna pay 05+ S money. I think the updates to the 03-04 models make the car better looking and more interesting. The 987 is a definete step up but the price also reflects that.

I dont think I could stand the underpowered regular boxster.
BTW, I drove the base 245hp Cayman for a little bit. I found it barely faster than a zhp. Also its power delivery was similar - it came alive after 4000rpm. While the S's aren't crazy torquey, the low rpm difference is very noticeable.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:13 PM   #10
equ
Alphanumeric

Also I think it's going to be the Cayman - I'll get used to the black interior. Now, white with xenons or atlas gray with no xenons? (Same price).