carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-22-2004, 02:50 PM   #1
Pike
Realist

Thinking of getting rid of the M3, and getting an E30.

Have had my E46 M3 for about a year and a half, and it's obviously a great car; I can thank it for getting me addicted to the brand and to HPDE's for most of last year. But, having had the car as a daily driver and put 21K miles on it in 18 months, I'm more than ready to try something else.

I'm leaning heavily towards saving some money and getting a tinker-car (which the E46 M3 definitely is not!) I'm thinking of starting with an E30 and putting some basic track/sport mods into it. I've driven/been-driven-in quite a few E30s, ranging from basic street cars to Ken's race car. I really like the car. And no, rgal, I just can't seem to point myself towards a Miata. I know, my loss.

Thinking seriously about doing this now... anyone want to tell me I'm nuts?
Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 02:52 PM   #2
Roadstergal
Butting in.

I thought it was a good idea last year.

I offered up the Miata because you seemed to be TDing.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:55 PM   #3
Pike
Realist

I am TDing, though for different reasons. The M3 is leased, and last year it would have cost $$$ to break the lease early. Not so anymore, so the option to get out of it is back on the table.

Actually, I'm thinking of a kind of spiritual cleansing if I get rid of the M3. Which translates into using my trusty bus pass for a month to get to work. While I search for another car.

Or get a motorcycle....crap, we need a waffler emoticon :-)
Old 04-22-2004, 03:12 PM   #4
Doug

Get the E30 325is.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:13 PM   #5
Roadstergal
Butting in.

Ah, I had forgotten about the whole lease thing. TD's avatar works well. You will be happy to be in any car by the end of said month, I predict.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:21 PM   #6
Lartymarf
Jaded

Re: Thinking of getting rid of the M3, and getting an E30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike
Thinking seriously about doing this now... anyone want to tell me I'm nuts?
You're not, because I'm thinking the same thing too. Or, you are, and I'm just nuts too.

I'm thinking about a miata because it costs a lot less to track prep it than say an E46 M3. I know, I have one. A set of sticky tires can last an entire race season, $400, for the miata. A set of high performance tires for my oem 19's on the M3 only last me 4 track days, given how hard I try to flog the M3. But, that's not the main reason why I'm looking for something different to track than the M3. On top of that, the Miata is very inexpensive, and the handling is benign, plus it's super light and one hardly uses brakes on a high horsepower track... many long sweeping turns.

How much will an E30 run you? The car will be even older than a used miata!
Lartymarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 03:49 PM   #7
Roadstergal
Butting in.

They made E30s through '91. Cabrios through '92.

Meh, most charge a premium for ises, but all I can see that you get is a suspension you're going to change out anyway, two body parts you can get from a parts yard, and wheels that are a beeyoch to clean. OK, you do get an LSD, but you can pick up one of those, too. I could very well be wrong, so correct me on that...
Old 04-22-2004, 04:36 PM   #8
Pike
Realist

Definitely looking for a basic car I can add stuff to over time. Which is the opposite of the M3 -- a car already prepared for serious driving. Yes, there are mods I can add to the M3 (adjustable sway bars, to start!), but it's certainly not cost efficient.

Light. Yes, I want the car to be a lightweight. And the miata is a great choice for that. Sigh.

Not sure on cost. Thinking $3K for the car and $3K for mods (haven't worked out how to divide that up though). I'm sure I could probably spend less.

Edit: There are two other bimmers I have a real soft spot for. The E24 6 series. And my favorite: An S52 shoe-car. Yum.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:11 PM   #9
Roadstergal
Butting in.

The shoe-cars are great, but they'll have the same downsides that you're moving away from in the M3.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:32 PM   #10
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has trouble being happy with their current car.

All the recent posts make me feel a lot better.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote