carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-16-2019, 05:45 AM   #551
Alan
Carmudgeon

Sport chrono is pretty cool option, it has the dynamic engine mounts and gives you sport plus mode ... also adds rev matching I believe in sport plus mode.

Also if you want to know more about the options go to the Porsche website, the targa models are still the 991 so you could read up on the packages.

Last edited by Alan; 11-16-2019 at 06:07 AM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:15 AM   #552
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
* What exactly is Porsche Torque Vectoring?

On the 981 (including the GT4) it is mechanical LSD plus some additional rear brake software. There are moments when I've gone in too hot that I feel it fix understeer, like a "hand of God"... I'd have preferred just the LSD but that's not how things are. Very rarely comes on in the street on the Boxster, 911 may use it more due to its turn in.

* The Sport Chrono adds the throttle mappings, PSM Stability thresholds and dynamic engine mounts to the 981.

* I don't have LCA on the Boxster.

* I have Power Steering Plus (PSP). It's not that bad. It is deletable, but I haven't bothered. It doesn't take away from the car, it does take away from old school bmw-heaviness at low speeds if you like to work out during parking. At this point, I don't notice. The car steers better than pretty much any modern bmw by miles. 987/997 steering is more feelsome. If you are super curious, some people do really hate it, you are welcome to swing by NJ for a drive, though 981 and 991 steering are a bit different.

* Premium Package Plus?
Edit: Heated / Ventilated Seats, Comfort Access, LED Headlights - seems like a really nice package - AGREED

* Along w/ the above, you guys have said before the 18 way seats are worth holding out for. I'm not too excited about the sport exhaust, but its there.

I'm with Alan on the 18-ways. I have them. C loves them but she's quite skinny. For me, 14's would be more comfortable on longer trips, width adjustments be damned. It's less the bolstering that's the issue for me but more the thinner cushioning. They are lighter, based on the sports seats. The 14's are perfect, but a touch heavy.

Ventilated seats are awesome and Porsche's version works well.

* I have the Adaptive Bi-xenons. Very very good headlights. I'm extremely unhappy with the 340i LED's so now I'm wary of LED's (know nothing about Porsche's execution of them).

* My Boxster doesn't have comfort access. It worked well on the Macan.

* The PSE, I turn it on at times. It's not a must have for me, the car sounds good as it is. The only thing annoying is changing modes. Looking down for the button (not on the steering) for sport chrono and the exhaust are kind of annoying. For maximum attack, I turn on Sport Plus but turn off the exhaust. That cuts the stupid staccato pops/bangs. Or just Normal.

--------------

MOST IMPORTANT OPTIONS FOR ME:
* MANUAL
* PASM and/or X73 (both are better than base suspension, PASM is comfier)
* PTV
* Maybe SPORT CHRONO (but really throttle response is great in my view regardless)
* Anything but base seats, either Sports 4-Way, or the 14-way or the 18-way
* Heated seats on a 'vert (almost all have them)

Sounds like the right car for you.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:23 AM   #553
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post

With a manual, sport chrono has no launch control, but I'm not planning on drag racing either.
Good! Means no one else has done it either
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #554
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Thanks for all this info, it's very helpful. The only thing that seems 'missing' on the spec is PASM. I had thought that was part of Sport Chrono, but it doesn't look to be. It's going to be an interesting couple of days.
You can't poach on BAT, right? They extend the auction by a few minutes when someone bids near the end?
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:41 AM   #555
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Good! Means no one else has done it either
It looks like it was owned by a Mom. The aluminum face of the stick shift looks scratched by a ring and there are child seat impressions on the passenger side back seat. I guess it could have been a Dad who wore rings on his right hand, but probability is female owned... especially in Texas.

Probably a dumb question, but you can't add a CPO warranty unless you purchase the car through a Porsche dealer, right? I remember Matt did something with his Cayman that sounded cost effective. This car has about 10 months of new P-car warranty left. Edit: Porsche does have a 10yr warranty plan that can be added anytime while the new car warranty is still in effect. Cross that bridge if I need to.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3

Last edited by Josh (PA); 11-16-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #556
Alan
Carmudgeon

I don’t know if a dealer would or would not CPO it but when my warranty ran out I purchased one from a Porsche dealer and went with Fidelity Platinum coverage.

Fidelity was sold by Audi dealers as their extended warranty because Audi originally did not offer their own extended warranty until recently.

It have been as good as factory whenever I use it, they pay the dealer directly where some make you pay the dealer then you file a claim.

This warranty was so good they covered the magnesium shocks on the R8 which was around $9k and if you read the forums it is very rare to get them covered.

It is expensive on the Porsche I paid I believe $4700 for 6 years with a $250 deductible but well worth the peace of mind though I have to say I have had very few things go wrong with my car.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #557
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Thanks for all this info, it's very helpful. The only thing that seems 'missing' on the spec is PASM. I had thought that was part of Sport Chrono, but it doesn't look to be. It's going to be an interesting couple of days.
You can't poach on BAT, right? They extend the auction by a few minutes when someone bids near the end?
Is it an S? Every 911 S has PASM (but not every 981S), you can see it if you look at a picture of the center console buttons. The shock absorber icon... I don't like switching modes, but the active suspension keeps things comfortable over bumps.

If it doesn't have PASM and if over time you get unhappy with the suspension; the x73 (or passive sports) suspension is a doable retrofit; sold by Suncoast: Springs/shocks and sway bars.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:59 AM   #558
Alan
Carmudgeon

I didn’t have pasm on my 997 and had no issues with the ride. I do have it on my 991 and only once in a while select the stiff mode ... the car handles so well I really don’t see a need for it, I would never go even close to the limits of the car.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #559
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Is it an S? Every 911 S has PASM (but not every 981S), you can see it if you look at a picture of the center console buttons. The shock absorber icon... I don't like switching modes, but the active suspension keeps things comfortable over bumps.

If it doesn't have PASM and if over time you get unhappy with the suspension; the x73 (or passive sports) suspension is a doable retrofit; sold by Suncoast: Springs/shocks and sway bars.
Its not an S, but it does have a shock button above the sport button on the center console.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 11-16-2019, 01:36 PM   #560
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Its not an S, but it does have a shock button above the sport button on the center console.

Then it should have Pasm ... you got outbid .... I have a feeling this car is going to go for a lot more then the current $52k bid ... I can't believe it is a no reserve auction, I would be way too nervous to do that.

Last edited by Alan; 11-16-2019 at 02:25 PM.