carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 07-23-2022, 04:19 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Thoughts on GTI (MK7 & MK8)

Our MK7 GTI hit 17k miles this week and was due for its second and last free service. I've done two additional oil services myself - one at ~1.5k, miles and one at ~12k miles, so that car has had oil changes every 5k miles.

While waiting, they had an MK8 on the floor so I checked it out. No, I did not get a chance to drive it.

Much has been said about the new interior. I will say in brief that I would rather have the MK7 interior for sure, but while some things are annoying and bad, others are not so bad and overall I would not be that upset.

First the bad:

-No real e-brake, instead an "eBrake."
-No real buttons anywhere except for the windows and then there are very few of those.
-The interior materials are definitely not as nice. They are not comically bad or a blatant downgrade, but you don't have to look, or rather touch very far to notice. Especially if you drive an MK7 every day like I do.

The good and not-any-worse:

-The NAV screen is in a better position. You do pay for this by having the center vents awkwardly low (below the screen), but it's certainly easier to see and reach. Well, it better be, because there are MINIMAL physical controls outside the touch screen. And yes, everything is HAPTIC.
-The seats are comfortable. Even the SE had a powered multi-position seat, which was nice to find the right position. Then again, I did not check, but I don't believe it had memory, in which case it's stupid when a car is shared like ours is. But I did like the adjustability of the seat, especially the full independence of the lower cushion tilt. The seats did look goofy and bulky though. The shifter knob looks goofy and feels a bit bulky as well but it's ok. The MK7 certainly has a more elegant cabin.
-Overall, the MK8 felt like home. Still felt pretty well built, same good ergonomics.
-Hopefully the digital dash provides value in terms of navigation, etc.
-It looked pretty good in black. I suppose that says something about the car, but at least that color works well.

If my GTI died tomorrow, I would probably still buy an MK8 GTI, but I'd miss the MK7 interior. Allegedly the MK8 drives a bit better and it's a bit faster.

On that note, I cannot endorse the MK7 enough. At 17k miles, it feels as good as and drives better than new. HWY mileage on summer grade fuel is 36+ mpg at 75mph. Blame the very short 6th gear on the 987S but on a door-to-door drive to work, where the GTI gets me 32mpg, the 987S got me 22 with similar driving.

My rants about lag and holding revs still apply, and so it's not a great (just good) car for driving above 7/10ths, but as an all-round car and particularly as a highway commuter, it is just excellent. It's a great place to be inside, very quiet at all speeds. It's the easiest car to shift I've ever driven (if you don't rev too high) and the suspension tuning is a perfect compromise between sporty and comfortable. I am looking forward to getting better/grippier tires, though. These are meh and suck in the cold.

So far quality has been excellent but it's still pretty new. I hope it holds up because I can see this car never leaving the family.

Last edited by FC; 07-23-2022 at 08:18 PM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 04:40 PM   #2
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Darn! I was hoping this was a thread about how you were going to sell it to one of us and upgrade! (Still teen car shopping here...)
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 05:09 PM   #3
JST

I saw a mk 8 Golf R on the road the other day and it’s a homely looking thing in person. That, coupled with the interior changes, means I’d probably get a Civic over a GTI if I were in the market, which given my predilection for German cars is kind of wild to think about.

And yes, gas mileage is not the 987s forte.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:14 PM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Darn! I was hoping this was a thread about how you were going to sell it to one of us and upgrade! (Still teen car shopping here...)
Sorry.
Old 07-23-2022, 08:16 PM   #5
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I saw a mk 8 Golf R on the road the other day and it’s a homely looking thing in person. That, coupled with the interior changes, means I’d probably get a Civic over a GTI if I were in the market, which given my predilection for German cars is kind of wild to think about.

And yes, gas mileage is not the 987s forte.
I averaged 25-26mpg on the drive from DC and I drove pretty fast. That is not great, but it's not abysmal given the gearing in 6th. Proportionately it's worse around town. But my previous 987S driven only around town and very hard, averaged only 13mpg every time I would fill up.
Old 07-24-2022, 10:30 AM   #6
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
I would say it is better then a 7/10th car especially for FWD. The lsd is very nice addition. I might even track it if I can get my buddy to sign up with his gt350.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:33 AM   #7
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Got the r brakes smoking after taking it up and down this pass a few years ago on a camping trip

Sherman Pass
https://goo.gl/maps/hJKfv8gvx7xwFqB19
Old 07-24-2022, 10:38 AM   #8
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Speaking of brakes, the pads are down to a few mm on it. Thinking of just putting new pads on it instead of rotors too. Any comments? Had success doing the same on the 4runner but I thought German cars usually treat rotors as wear items along with pads.
Old 07-24-2022, 03:04 PM   #9
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
I would say it is better then a 7/10th car especially for FWD. The lsd is very nice addition. I might even track it if I can get my buddy to sign up with his gt350.
It’s all relative. It’s fun no matter what, but runs out of breath at very high rpm’s, the revs hang way too long and the tires are not up to snuff. It also leans a bit too much. But sure, it is still fun when pushed. It would make a great 1-car solution.
Old 07-24-2022, 03:05 PM   #10
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Speaking of brakes, the pads are down to a few mm on it. Thinking of just putting new pads on it instead of rotors too. Any comments? Had success doing the same on the 4runner but I thought German cars usually treat rotors as wear items along with pads.
I’ve always done rotors + pads, but the LR4 will easily go through two sets of pads for every rotor. Might well do 3 sets with no problem.

Last edited by FC; 07-25-2022 at 10:49 AM.