carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 07-13-2022, 05:38 PM   #11
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
I assume that list gets updated over time, so in the case of services like that I get it.

But heated seat fees are fucking absurd.
Yeah I suspect they'll quickly learn that there is a right way and wrong way to implement a "subscription model". Charging a fee for customers to use hardware that is already on their vehicles is never going to fly. Guessing this is all "growing pains" as legacy automotive companies try to figure out how to transform themselves. Unfortunately its going to take more work then "lets just turn everything into a subcription".

You can almost imagine the corporate politics that led to something like this: CEO proclaims that company needs become a "services company" and "increase recurring revenue" -> lower level managers try and come up with a "quick win" to show their bosses -> Somone proposes charging for heated seats via a subscription -> No one thinks its a great idea but, hey, maybe the CEO will like it and we can do it now. Easy to make a spreadsheet to show the "business case" -> major customer blowback -> no more "subscription services" for a while -> something else
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:47 PM   #12
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post

But heated seat fees are fucking absurd.
I agree.

Tesla has a subscription for full self driving, but you can also just pay for it in full either up front or after the fact.

For my car, I can pay $6k to add it (I have “Enhanced Autopilot” already…), or I could subscribe to FSD for $199 per month. But since my car has the older autopilot computer, I’d have to pay $1k for the updated hardware (which is included in the $1k).

FSD now costs $10k on new orders - so I could see buying the subscription since you’d have to own the car for over 4 years to break even…
Old 07-13-2022, 06:13 PM   #13
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
That was just what I was thinking about when i read this article, I remember when they backed out of it.

I don't see how it is right to charge for options and then put us on a monthly subscription ... in general I do not like the idea of the monthly subscriptions.

I know I am currently paying for the 'red light camera warning' in 2 of our BMW's now but that was an upfront fee for I think 3 years.
Yes. Looking at myBMW app, there are a number of services that only last for the warranty period or a subscription period--Traffic camera app; BMW "Intelligent Personal Assistant", Real Time Traffic info through Nav; automatic Map Updates; and various other nebulous "ConnectDrive Services"...

So, it has, in fact, already begun.

But the climate/physical comfort stuff is really pushing it. Unless there's an option to buy it or rent it (without paying the upfront costs of having the feature optioned to your car.)

One has to imagine that dealers will also be losing out on a lot of service profit with Evs--at least eventually. I wonder if they get some sort of cut?
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 06:42 PM   #14
JST

The other absurd thing is that BMWs App Store is fucking useless; it can’t handle auto-renew, so every year I have to be surprised that my traffic info has stopped working, figure out how to log in and which package to buy, and do it manually.

The 3G thing is a big deal, too. Supposedly the current generation of modems will have a longer useful life than the 3G modems did, but anything using commercial cellular spectrum is subject to changes in both technology and the market. What happens when BMW takes the authentication servers down, or the car can’t reach them because its modem is bricked?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:38 PM   #15
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
so every year I have to be surprised that my traffic info has stopped working, figure out how to log in and which package to buy, and do it manually.
Oh shit I did not think about that. I actually use that quite a bit. Sigh. I guess I will be a subscriber after all.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:05 PM   #16
SCA
Jaded

I had to subscribe the X5 to all the stuff that was included under the 4/50k warranty. The largest package that keeps everything operational is $150 annually. I am due for renewal next month.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 08:56 PM   #17
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The other absurd thing is that BMWs App Store is fucking useless; it can’t handle auto-renew, so every year I have to be surprised that my traffic info has stopped working, figure out how to log in and which package to buy, and do it manually.

The 3G thing is a big deal, too. Supposedly the current generation of modems will have a longer useful life than the 3G modems did, but anything using commercial cellular spectrum is subject to changes in both technology and the market. What happens when BMW takes the authentication servers down, or the car can’t reach them because its modem is bricked?
They cover that in the “as long as technically capable” language. Woof.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:25 PM   #18
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
They actually made new nav disc’s up until 2015 for the mark 4 system I had in my 03 M5. Ask me how I know. It was still working and getting me where I needed to go when I sold it.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:38 PM   #19
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
They actually made new nav disc’s up until 2015 for the mark 4 system I had in my 03 M5. Ask me how I know. It was still working and getting me where I needed to go when I sold it.
Yep, what I have installed in my 540. The original owner was still rocking the factory DVD when I acquired the car in May 2020.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:26 AM   #20
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
LOL
I have the original original CD-ROM discs loaded in my 2001 E38 nav system - nothing newer.
Well, my stand-a-lone Garmin (or phone) is newer and what I use. LOL. But, if you really wanna go back in time, looking at the GEN 1 nav system in the 7 will do that for ya. LOL

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote