carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-18-2021, 06:42 PM   #1
Alan
Carmudgeon

Dr. Color Chip - paint chip repair

Just wanted to give everyone here a heads up on this product, touch up paint worries me, I can never get the right amount into the chip and I over paint by error so I do not trust myself ever doing any paint chip repair.

This Dr. Color Chip is really great, I watched the video below which is great, the big picture is it does not matter if you get touch up paint on the regular paint of the car, the product they give you takes off all the extra paint and the car looks really good afterwards.

Like they say in the video it is not meant to make your car look perfect, it still looks like a chip filled in with touch up paint but for people like me who do not have a steady hand it is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsDUQQkCm74
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:14 PM   #2
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
I used it before on my E36 and my E46 and I agree it worked pretty well for chip repair. These days it’s PPF and done though.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:55 PM   #3
Alan
Carmudgeon

I haven’t PPF’ed any of my cars, I am guessing the M2 is PPF’ed … my understanding is the installer is everything …. I REALLY want to get my next car done but I am always so worried when I bring my car to someone I just know they are going to scratch or nick something whether it is the inside or outside.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:05 PM   #4
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I haven’t PPF’ed any of my cars, I am guessing the M2 is PPF’ed … my understanding is the installer is everything …. I REALLY want to get my next car done but I am always so worried when I bring my car to someone I just know they are going to scratch or nick something whether it is the inside or outside.
We talked about this before, Alan.

These are your three options:

1) Leave the car in the garage and never drive it.

2) Leave the car unprotected and be assured it will pick up more and more chips every single time you drive it.

3) Have someone reputable put on PPF, run the very slight risk that it could incur could be a paint nick and be assured that the paint will not get any worse as long as the PPF is in place.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:22 PM   #5
SCA
Jaded

We have extensively PPF’ed every new auto we have purchased over the past ten years. Xpel has recommended installers and those that are the top performers are awarded annually by Xpel. Xpel installers are trained/certified at Xpel HQ in San Antonio, Texas.

https://www.xpel.com/clearbra-installers
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:24 PM   #6
JST

Ages well?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B327B634-B722-4F7E-9E71-D32C29F53576.jpeg
Views:	220
Size:	496.0 KB
ID:	14022  
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:29 PM   #7
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Ages well?
Did you just seriously google the “worst” clear bra pictures ever or what??!! LOL

I have never seen anything like that.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:33 PM   #8
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
I had X-Pel film on the front of the Yukon from about 2 weeks after I took delivery to a few months before I donated it (May 2000 through to summer of 2017) and 270,000 miles.

Yes, you could tell it was there if you looked - but... FOR SURE - the truck looked a whole lot better than it would have it if were not there. Once the film was removed - you would have never come remotely close to thinking it had over a quarter of a million miles on it.

YMMV of course....

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:45 PM   #9
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I used to do it only on the front bumper and in one case (The E46 M3) the front half of the hood and fender (that awful line across the hood).

The M2 got the full front end (hood, fenders, bumper and headlights) mirrors, door edges, inner door handle pulls, rear fender flares and the flat portion leading into the trunk. No regrets.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:56 PM   #10
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Ages well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Did you just seriously google the “worst” clear bra pictures ever or what??!! LOL

I have never seen anything like that.
This ☝️

Nearly eight year old PPF on the entire front end of my new to me 997. It is no longer perfect PPF due to Texas sized rocks, but the factory paint underneath was saved as intended. Xpel has been on my parents E70 N63 for nearly ten years, no issues. FYI, Xpel warranties their PPF for a period of ten years. Note, if the film is not properly cared for by the vehicle owner it will yellow, fade and/or oxidize. I have never seen film crack like the photo JST posted, at least not in the past 6-7 years. PPF has come along way.

Last edited by SCA; 11-18-2021 at 11:11 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote