carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-08-2005, 02:08 PM   #1
Jason C
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Invalid Carriage
Legacy or Outback?

Parents have asked for suggestions regarding wagons. They're looking for something midsized or up, luxury but not quite up to E-Class pricing territory, safe, reliable, slushie, etc etc. But Dad wants some measure of fun-to-drive. I can only conclude with the Subarus. I thought about Audi, Saab, and Volvo, but I mentally nixed them because of questionable and conflicting reliability data, high cost of ownership, or both.

So I guess my real question is, 2.5 Legacy or 3.0 Outback? They want something that can haul shit like luggage (obviously) and they can spend all the way up to Audi S4/S6 range, so pricing between these two Subies isn't a concern. Am I missing something here? What makes one decidedly different from the other?

EDIT: No, Dad won't consider the Magnum. So, no SRT-8 suggestions. :P
Jason C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
the 2.5i legacy is obnoxiously slow. i wouldn't bother. the outback is nicer in the sense that it can be had with VDC (that matters to some people) but you can still get a 2.5GT wagon with an automatic.

the turbo motor is decidedly faster than the 3.0 but there is lag when you use the auto transmission.

the one thing that is worth waiting to see is that the 2006 models are reported to be equipped with navi-DVD systems and that would be well worth it to get the OEM system.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 03:27 PM   #3
Jason C
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
the 2.5i legacy is obnoxiously slow. i wouldn't bother. the outback is nicer in the sense that it can be had with VDC (that matters to some people) but you can still get a 2.5GT wagon with an automatic.

the turbo motor is decidedly faster than the 3.0 but there is lag when you use the auto transmission.

the one thing that is worth waiting to see is that the 2006 models are reported to be equipped with navi-DVD systems and that would be well worth it to get the OEM system.
Oh, I meant both 250hp models against each other.

And yes, Navi would be a factor. They want to buy this August. Do you think the 2006 with possible Navi will be avaliable then?

(I thought shushies were better matches with turbo engines - because there is no throttle lift on upshifts )

ADDED: Looked at some further info on both models, I'm leaning towards hawking the Legacy 2.5GT Wagon with auto.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:14 PM   #4
lemming
Western Anomaly

well, the one thing is that the added ride height makes the outback more forgiving over rough roads (taller sidewall tires, too).

it's just as quick in turbo form --it's fine in 3.0 form.

the day of the subarus that couldn't get out of their own way is just about done.

Old 05-08-2005, 05:26 PM   #5
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Well you know, we've pretty much settled on the 3.0 Outback. The engine is smooth and definitely powerful enough for this wagon to move around quickly with no lag and good low-end torque. It also doesn't mind reving high, something my parents' Volvo XC70 hates to do.

I happen to like the outback trim because of the ground clearance, taller sidewalls, and more compliant suspension given the shitty roads here and in Canada. OEM tires are shit, but I'll likely get Michelin Pilot Sport A/S asap.
What makes going to the 3.0 a no-brainer if you want a slushie, is that it costs basically the same as a turbo Outback limited.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 05:41 PM   #6
Jason C
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr129
Well you know, we've pretty much settled on the 3.0 Outback. The engine is smooth and definitely powerful enough for this wagon to move around quickly with no lag and good low-end torque. It also doesn't mind reving high, something my parents' Volvo XC70 hates to do.

I happen to like the outback trim because of the ground clearance, taller sidewalls, and more compliant suspension given the shitty roads here and in Canada. OEM tires are shit, but I'll likely get Michelin Pilot Sport A/S asap.
What makes going to the 3.0 a no-brainer if you want a slushie, is that it costs basically the same as a turbo Outback limited.
LL Bean or that other VCD thing?

Two-tone or not?
Old 05-08-2005, 05:47 PM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr129

LL Bean or that other VCD thing?

Two-tone or not?
LL Bean has the two-tone. The VDC is the better car because of its suposedly amazing atrction control system (and better stereo), but it does cost another 2K or so over the LL Bean. That has a one-tone interior and no LL Bean badges.

I'd like the VDC if I can get a good deal on it. I'm looking for one in the October-November time frame. Probably too late for new, discounted '05's. But a slightly used '05 would work for us too.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 06:21 PM   #8
lemming
Western Anomaly

no worries about getting a deal on a VDC, man. just message me and i'll try to set you up as best i can.

:-D

Old 05-08-2005, 06:29 PM   #9
Jason C
Carmudgeon

Quote:
no worries about getting a deal on a VDC, man. just message me and i'll try to set you up as best i can.

And will this apply to 2006 models?
Old 05-08-2005, 07:15 PM   #10
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
Quote:

And will this apply to 2006 models?
yeah, pretty much.

i'm probably going to get another subaru in the next year or so --am waiting to see if they drop the 2.5 litre turbo into the impreza WRX or if they integrate NAV into the 06 or 07 legacy models.

the legacy GT is still my benchmark for commuting up here in all weather conditions (driving the G35 6spd and e90 330 6spd are worthwhile but they still need to deliver on the "all season" part).