carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-21-2020, 10:59 PM   #51
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
The new a6 looks really nice so that might be worth checking it. Doubt it drives better though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am right there with you ... man we think alike, that is one car I will be checking out ...

Stay healthy and safe ...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:13 AM   #52
Nick M3
Relic

I don't love the A6, but it feels a lot more like a car than the current 5 series.

For reference, my parents also have a 2018 A6 3.0T. They didn't really want to change things up, but the DSG in my Mom's old B8 S4 was on the way out.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:22 PM   #53
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I don't love the A6, but it feels a lot more like a car than the current 5 series.

For reference, my parents also have a 2018 A6 3.0T. They didn't really want to change things up, but the DSG in my Mom's old B8 S4 was on the way out.
I loved my A6 3.0T ... it was a 2017 ... the gas pedal was literally instant take off with zero delay ... I almost bought it off lease but being I only do 2 yr leases on my DD I decided it is funnier to keep replacing cars every couple of years.

The dealer kept it when I turned it in and actually gave the new owner all the service records with my name on it .... he called me to ask questions about the car ... my answer to him was I'm not too happy the dealer gave you my information BUT if I was buying a used car I would want me the be the prior owner

I did have a talk with the general manager about giving my information out after that call ... he could not apologize enough.

Last edited by Alan; 03-22-2020 at 07:10 PM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:00 PM   #54
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I loved my A6 3.0T ... it was a 2017 ... the gas pedal was literally instant take off with zero delay ... I almost bought it off lease but being I only do 2 yr leases on my DD I decided it is funnier to keep replacing cars every couple of years.

The dealer kept it when I turned it in and actually gave the new owner all the service records with by name on it .... he called me to ask questions about the car ... my answer to him was I'm not too happy the dealer gave you my information BUT if I was buying a used car I would want me the be the prior owner

I did have a talk with the general manager about giving my information out after that call ... he could not apologize enough.
A couple weeks after I traded my wife's 2000 Altima SE in on the RX8, the Mazda dealer called me to ask if I would be willing to speak to the person they sold the Altima to. The check engine light came on after they bought it and they couldn't figure out why. I don't remember if they transferred the new owner to me or gave me the buyer's phone number, but I did speak to them once and never heard another thing. My guess is they put gas in it and didn't seal the cap correctly, but who knows?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #55
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

The dealer kept it when I turned it in and actually gave the new owner all the service records with my name on it .... he called me to ask questions about the car ... my answer to him was I'm not too happy the dealer gave you my information BUT if I was buying a used car I would want me the be the prior owner

Oh boy- yeah that is very uncool of them. The thing you mention about no gas pedal delay is huge. So many cars have that issue these days, and I think it's the number 1 thing I'd pay attention to when test driving. It's something that starts as a small annoyance but becomes increasingly irritating. My current car recently had a transmission software update that (knock on wood) seems to have completely eliminated any delay which has been really great.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #56
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
A couple weeks after I traded my wife's 2000 Altima SE in on the RX8, the Mazda dealer called me to ask if I would be willing to speak to the person they sold the Altima to. The check engine light came on after they bought it and they couldn't figure out why. I don't remember if they transferred the new owner to me or gave me the buyer's phone number, but I did speak to them once and never heard another thing. My guess is they put gas in it and didn't seal the cap correctly, but who knows?
My favorite example of this was after our GTI was totaled, we got a call from a guy in Canada who bought it at auction, looking for the other key. He apparently called Jiffy Lube from a sticker on the windshield and they gave him our number.

Honestly, I didn't mind it, though it was sort of weird.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #57
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
My favorite example of this was after our GTI was totaled, we got a call from a guy in Canada who bought it at auction, looking for the other key. He apparently called Jiffy Lube from a sticker on the windshield and they gave him our number.

Honestly, I didn't mind it, though it was sort of weird.
Did you send the key?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote