carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-16-2020, 07:19 PM   #61
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

Also, at the beginning of March, the updated Chevy incentives were announced, and they sucked pretty hard, so between everything, I haven't been looking too hard for cars outside of looking for signs that dealers are getting desperate to sell.

And as of today, it sounds like new car purchases are tanking and most manufacturers are or are about to roll out some significant new incentives. Haven't heard anything specific for Camaros, but it it sounds like GM is very soon going to offer 0% (for up to 84 months? WTF?!) vs the 3.0% or so that was in my planning. Maybe some more money back or better manufacturer->dealer cash, too?
Yeah, I think GM and others will get very desperate to move metal in the next 4-8 weeks. I have been looking to unload the Focus and made the mistake of giving one local dealer my cell number.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:08 PM   #62
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Here go my wild guesses...

The carvana offer on your car will drop. It may not drop as much as new car $$$'s but it will.

If you have a spare car you can drive around, a month or two from now may be the time to go aggressive/contrarian and get the car you want for less. A year from now may be even better (though that's too far ahead). Is your job at risk? Probably not. Many people's living will be and the economy/lack of demand will reflect that.
Agree that the offer will drop and probably soon.

OTOH, If I'm looking three months out, it's kind of hard to see the car being worth much less than $14k (and if it is, everything else in the world will probably have me less inclined to buy a new car at all).

If I sell it now, I "save" $3k in comparison. Between everything involved, I suspect getting a temp car for three months will cost me $2500ish and add some non-$ intangibles. At that point, I think I'm better off sticking with the Camaro right now. I think. Not 100% sure.

No job security considerations in play. (One of the very good things working for who I work for.)

It's a weird and interesting time from the car purchase perspective.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:12 PM   #63
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Hi. Hoping this helps. But it probably won’t.

I sold the 996tt as part of my migration West. I probably should have kept that car but it sounded so good without cats that I could never drive it again with the OEM exhaust.

So I picked up a 2020 1SS convertible. 6 speed. And.......a 2SS would have been better with leather and HUD, but it’s really fun. Just effortless acceleration. Decent body control. Sight lines are meh. But I really like the car. It shifts well and the clutch is effortless.

If you’ve ever been on San Diego highways, you know they can be five lanes across...and jammed with traffic. Or wide fucking open and traffic is screaming to LA at 90mph. In either situation the Gen6 does just fine. Maybe a gripe is 6th gear acceleration sucks.

I’m less picky as I get older or maybe I appreciate the end of an era more.

Anyway it’s worth it. And I bet the coupe is even more solid. A little lighter. And I bet the 1LE package kicks serious ass.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:35 PM   #64
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Agree that the offer will drop and probably soon.

OTOH, If I'm looking three months out, it's kind of hard to see the car being worth much less than $14k (and if it is, everything else in the world will probably have me less inclined to buy a new car at all).

If I sell it now, I "save" $3k in comparison. Between everything involved, I suspect getting a temp car for three months will cost me $2500ish and add some non-$ intangibles. At that point, I think I'm better off sticking with the Camaro right now. I think. Not 100% sure.

No job security considerations in play. (One of the very good things working for who I work for.)

It's a weird and interesting time from the car purchase perspective.

It might not even drop $3k, it's going to drop less than new cars... But you're driving it instead of driving the newer car during the same period. If you don't have another car lying around, not worth it at all, hold on... Especially if miles aren't piling up, the value won't drop too much. Who is going to a dealer to go and touch and smell stuff for the next several months? No one.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:41 PM   #65
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Hi. Hoping this helps. But it probably won’t.

I sold the 996tt as part of my migration West. I probably should have kept that car but it sounded so good without cats that I could never drive it again with the OEM exhaust.

So I picked up a 2020 1SS convertible. 6 speed. And.......a 2SS would have been better with leather and HUD, but it’s really fun. Just effortless acceleration. Decent body control. Sight lines are meh. But I really like the car. It shifts well and the clutch is effortless.

If you’ve ever been on San Diego highways, you know they can be five lanes across...and jammed with traffic. Or wide fucking open and traffic is screaming to LA at 90mph. In either situation the Gen6 does just fine. Maybe a gripe is 6th gear acceleration sucks.

I’m less picky as I get older or maybe I appreciate the end of an era more.

Anyway it’s worth it. And I bet the coupe is even more solid. A little lighter. And I bet the 1LE package kicks serious ass.
Not sure I realized you were headed out there, but now that you mention it, sounds kinda familiar.

1SS 1LE is still the car I want right now. Once we get past this coronavirus stuff and life is headed back to normal, everything will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
It might not even drop $3k, it's going to drop less than new cars... But you're driving it instead of driving the newer car during the same period. If you don't have another car lying around, not worth it at all, hold on... Especially if miles aren't piling up, the value won't drop too much. Who is going to a dealer to go and touch and smell stuff for the next several months? No one.
I was just trying to come up with a reasonable worst likely case. Given everything, I don't think I'm in a bad place car-wise relative to the world today and I think I'm a lot more comfortable where I am than I would be had I bought a car a few weeks ago.

And it looks like as of now, the 0%/84 is only on trucks and some SUVs. Camaros still don't get much of any decent incentive.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:11 AM   #66
kognito
older fart than ZBB

In the financial crisis back in 2008, new car sales tanked like we think will happen now. Back then, the used car market actually ticked upward.

What is going on today is not exactly the same as 2008, but results to the used car market might mirror what happened then.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:21 AM   #67
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
In the financial crisis back in 2008, new car sales tanked like we think will happen now. Back then, the used car market actually ticked upward.

What is going on today is not exactly the same as 2008, but results to the used car market might mirror what happened then.
It will probably mean that non-DD sportscars may also suffer. I got a great deal on my 987S in 2009.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:33 AM   #68
JST

I'm going to guess that this season's autocrosses are all canceled, so you have some time, right?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:33 AM   #69
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post

True!
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #70
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
It will probably mean that non-DD sportscars may also suffer. I got a great deal on my 987S in 2009.
Likely. Yes.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote