carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 07-09-2020, 02:24 PM   #191
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Perhaps the big news in there was buried too far in the lede.

My wife encouraged me to go buy a car.

This is a monumental shift that improves everything.
Was it word for word what my wife told me about the 911

"I'm so sick and tired of hearing about the fucking car. Just go buy it already and stop showing me for sale posts every 10 minutes. You can have it if you just promise to shut the fuck up..."

@Robg I didn't see your post just above when I wrote mine. Seems like your buddy and me have a lot in common.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:59 PM   #192
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post

"I'm so sick and tired of hearing about the fucking car. Just go buy it already and stop showing me for sale posts every 10 minutes. You can have it if you just promise to shut the fuck up..."

@Robg I didn't see your post just above when I wrote mine. Seems like your buddy and me have a lot in common.
That is too funny and now I bet she likes the car more than you do
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:15 PM   #193
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post

wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:48 PM   #194
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Interesting article on used car prices (lately)
Old 07-09-2020, 05:20 PM   #195
clyde
Chief title editor

This time, I kind of took the opposite approach in that I barely mentioned it. I let her know last summer I was likely to do something mid/late winter. Reminded her when we got there. I think I mentioned a long talk we had around the beginning of March after I hadn't found anything yet. Then, almost nothing since except for very occasional comments re: the daily Carvana offer.*

I have kept her up to date on my autocross plans for the year...or, rather, the disappearance of them. A couple times she asked what impact that had on buying something and I'd rarely do more than shrug.

I think she's impressed that I haven't talked about it constantly. Whatever it is, all is good, so I'm going with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Interesting article on used car prices (lately)

Parts of that story rang kinda true. Wholesale and trade prices went way down. They've since skyrocketed beyond what they were in late February. When Carvana started buying again in mid-May, I was thinking prices would go up for about two weeks, stabilize, and then drop again as the reopening everywhere took hold. Instead, the auctions haven't been happening at a scale large enough to get logistics back to normal while people have been running out and buying cars with that pent up demand. The auction houses can't get going, so supply is super constrained and trade in prices are ridiculous.

* Daily Carvana offer was $18,379 this morning, BTW. Let's take a quick stroll back to the first post in this thread from mid-September last year:
Quote:
It has 36,000 miles on it and Carvana's latest offer is $18,017. For reference, I paid $19,000 for it new 18 months ago.
It now has 39,8xx miles and I've now owned it 28 months. It was also built 18 months before I bought it.

In late winter/early spring, few dealers had interest in getting close to the Carvana/Carmax offers. The car in Kentucky that sold would have given close to the Carvana offer (close enough to make it more than worthwhile). Another car became available today at a local dealer where a good friend works (and I didn't realize he'd moved to a Chevy store until I heard from him this morning). Unfortunately, it doesn't have the data/video recorder option I want. By the time that was confirmed, they had already matched Carvana's offer.

When I was on the phone with him, he was also telling me about how much trouble they're having getting info from GM about their orders and allocations. He seemed pretty confident that if I placed an order for a new one, I'd probably get it in 16-20 weeks. But, no promises.

To tie back to the article, it's hard to see my car's value climbing any further. I guess it could, but my money would be on us being at or very close to the top for now. No idea if it's a peak or plateau.

And, FWIW, a new one that's been at a dealer a few states away since early March is on its way to a local dealer. They told me it's available (not a dealer trade to get that car for a customer), but then went email silent...so, dunno...

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:49 AM   #196
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Carvana sent me an email this morning inquiring if I still wanted to get rid of my 2016 Focus. Text of email indicated that they were ready to offer more for it.

All fine with me, except the Focus is gone
Old 07-10-2020, 10:07 AM   #197
Alan
Carmudgeon

All this talk about spouses discussing car purchases gave me a funny flashback ...

My wife is not a car person, yes she likes a nice car but she finds the whole process boring so she leaves the car buying to me. When I buy a car I do tell her but there was one time I forgot ...

Back when I bought my 997 I went to the dealer made a deal in the morning and wanted to pick the car up in the afternoon. I called my wife from my office and ask her if she could give me a ride to Massapequa (that's a town here on Long Island). She's like sure no problem. I go home later that day and we start driving to Massapequa and she is like where are we going ... I start laughing my ass off I was like oh I forgot to tell you I bought a Car and we are heading to the dealer to pick it up

Last edited by Alan; 07-10-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #198
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
All this talk about spouses discussing car purchases gave me a funny flashback ...

My wife is not a car person, yes she likes a nice car but she finds the whole process boring so she leaves the car buying to me. When I buy a car I do tell her but there was one time I forgot ...

Back when I bought my 997 I went to the dealer made a deal in the morning and wanted to pick the car up in the afternoon. I called my wife from my office and ask her if she could give me a ride to Massapequa (that's a town here on Long Island). She's like sure no problem. I go home later that day and we start driving to Massapequa and she is like where are we going ... I start laughing my ass off I was like oh I forgot to tell you I bought a Car and we are heading to the dealer to pick it up
Reminds me of my dad. One Saturday morning he said he was going to the grocery stores. He rarely went to one grocery store. He'd go to one for this thing, the other one for something else, and frequently a third one for whatever. He'd usually be gone two hours or more.

Anyway, he came home about five hours later with a new car. And groceries.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:39 AM   #199
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Reminds me of my dad. One Saturday morning he said he was going to the grocery stores. He rarely went to one grocery store. He'd go to one for this thing, the other one for something else, and frequently a third one for whatever. He'd usually be gone two hours or more.

That's crazy.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:21 PM   #200
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:

LOL ... too funny