carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #41
JST

Nice. Recourse of last resort is a public shaming on jalopnik or similar.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #42
JST

Actually, it may be an opportunity to shave some cost of the deal, if you don't mind waiting. Or just walk and buy a Boss 302.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:23 PM   #43
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Nice. Recourse of last resort is a public shaming on jalopnik or similar.
Yeah, that's probably the only real card in my hand. And I doubt they give a shit. But I will make sure they know I will do everything in my power to make sure their name will be dragged through the mud all over the net, causing them to lose more money in future business by screwing me than they will make.

Fuckers.

How much does a full page ad in Car and Driver cost?
Old 06-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #44
Plaz
•••••••

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Actually, it may be an opportunity to shave some cost of the deal, if you don't mind waiting. Or just walk and buy a Boss 302.
Honestly, the wait isn't my biggest concern. It's the uncertainty that they would follow through on their one remaining allocation after this one. If they're so readily willing to pull this car away from me, how do I know the next one won't just go to someone willing to pony up an extra thou or two? They have zero credibility.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #45
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
I don't think I'd have much legal recourse should they decide to continue to screw me, but it's probably enough that if I wanted to drop a few thou making their lives miserable with subpoenas I could do it.
Or maybe you have a law talking guy friend that's just as disgusted as you and willing to help out a friend with some letters, a phone call and idle threats?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:59 PM   #46
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
That is awful, but I disagree with the public shaming... Not really worth it and it will be google attached to your name forever. Perhaps worth it to mention as a last threat.

Your real card in the hand is BMWNA. If there is a paper/e-trail, you ordered in time, deposited etc, you are a CCA member etc... You just cannot be screwed like this.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:04 PM   #47
Plaz
•••••••

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
That is awful, but I disagree with the public shaming... Not really worth it and it will be google attached to your name forever. Perhaps worth it to mention as a last threat.

Your real card in the hand is BMWNA. If there is a paper/e-trail, you ordered in time, deposited etc, you are a CCA member etc... You just cannot be screwed like this.
Good points.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #48
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
ARG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems not very many people on this planet subscribe to the "a deal's a deal" philosophy.

I'd shame them just for fun.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:03 AM   #49
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
I don't subscribe to the "try it in the press" philosophy - it can get you into more trouble than it's worth. Also, if you ever do have to take the dealer to court, it works against you, many judges hate it when people use the press as an open court.

I'd use Clyde's suggestion, sometime a well written letter on legit legal letterhead can do wonders.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:26 AM   #50
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
While BMWNA typically doesn't get involved in this stuff, I'd bet that a short-but-convincing letter to Jim O'Donnell (Prez of BMWNA) and Russ Lucas (VP of Eastern Region, basically responsible for all dealers in Northeast) explaining your dealer's shitty business practices would at least generate a "why the hell are you f*cking with this guy?" phone call to the Dealer Principal and show him that you're serious. Oh, and then send your story and letter off to Jalopnik too... and post it on bimmerpost, bimmerfest, etc.