carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-08-2024, 11:29 AM   #5841
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Agreed.

There is a lot of new, unproven tech that is allegedly going into the 992.2. Why they have been delayed. A significant issue was discovered. We are still seeing pics and videos of Porsche doing subfreezing weather testing. That is a clear indication that the .2 is not ready to enter production. Furthermore, anyone that gets one the first year of production should know that they will be beta testing for PAG.

Last edited by SCA; 03-08-2024 at 11:40 AM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 11:36 AM   #5842
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
The earliest, Q1 2025. A C2S could be later, at least that is the current rumor.

A price increase of $10k+ is all but guaranteed.

Edit: Alan, to answer your last question… From the time I received my allocation (commission number) until I took delivery, it was 5.5 months. Nothing from Porsche is currently coming in three months, not currently. I think those days are over as there are still supply constraint issues in the auto industry.
Wow 5 1/2 months ... times have really changed since 2012 when I ordered my last Porsche

It took me a few days but I decided I'm ok with the price increase.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 11:37 AM   #5843
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Agreed…

A lot of new, unproven tech is allegedly going into the 992.2. Why they have been delayed. An issue was discovered. Anyone that gets one the first year of production should know that they will be beta testers for PAG.
That's typically the case no matter what, but it seems more so in this case.

For the most part, I've owned cars that were late in their production run, with the two notable exceptions being the 2007 Mini and 2007 997TT, both first year cars. But also both bought used.

The GTI, LR4, Mini conv, F80, 718, E91, JGC, were all last year or basically last year production cars. All others had been in production for years (E46, Saabaru, M5, V70R).
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 12:16 PM   #5844
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Very true, yet possibly even more so these days with the stupid amount of tech and mild hybridization.
Old 03-08-2024, 12:24 PM   #5845
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
The earliest, Q1 2025. A C2S could be later, at least that is the current rumor.

A price increase of $10k+ is all but guaranteed.

Edit: Alan, to answer your last question… From the time I received my allocation (commission number) until I took delivery, it was 5.5 months. Nothing from Porsche is currently coming in three months, not currently. I think those days are over as there are still supply constraint issues within the auto industry.
Truth.

Even if the car can get the parts and be assembled, it’s still a logistics issue of getting them on a boat and over to North America.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 12:32 PM   #5846
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Truth.

Even if the car can get the parts and be assembled, it’s still a logistics issue of getting them on a boat and over to North America.
Exactly.

Mine came off the assembly line the first week of November, yet it did not complete production until the end of November. Keep in mind that my build is not highly optioned though something held it up for three weeks and who knows what? It then took exactly five weeks to get from Emden to its U.S. port of entry. Somehow I got lucky and my car came ASAP. Other individuals that were on the boat with mine got held up in this recent Chinese chip scandal for another 8+ weeks.

Edit: BTW do some digging around as to the multiple issues the facelifted Cayenne has had. It has been a nightmare for many owners. SW issues out the wazoo.

Last edited by SCA; 03-08-2024 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2024, 01:45 PM   #5847
JST

Mine was almost exactly 8 months but part of that was logistics issues with the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 01:58 PM   #5848
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:

For the most part, I've owned cars that were late in their production run, with the two notable exceptions being the 2007 Mini and 2007 997TT, both first year cars. But also both bought used.
Yep. I really think that this more than anything else predicts how reliable/smooth your ownership experience will be. A first year Porsche is likely to be more problematic than a last year Jeep even though each brand's reputation for reliability are on opposite ends of the spectrum.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 02:03 PM   #5849
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yep. I really think that this more than anything else predicts how reliable/smooth your ownership experience will be. A first year Porsche is likely to be more problematic than a last year Jeep even though each brand's reputation for reliability are on opposite ends of the spectrum.
I pretty much have accepted this, getting a mid/late 992.1 myself. I continue to wait to see how it blows up in my face. Being human, my faith has to lie in the fact that the 9000rpm engine basically is the same as generation before. However changing vendors is a huge wildcard. So my estimations is —Engine fail very likely.

I’m hoping for the second 992.1 that there’s been water under the bridge and it being late in the production run that it’s more reliable.

I really, really, really hope that the experience of VAG empire helps Porsche launch the hybrid tech in the 992.2s.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 02:07 PM   #5850
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I pretty much have accepted this, getting a mid/late 992.1 myself. I continue to wait to see how it blows up in my face. Being human, my faith has to lie in the fact that the 9000rpm engine basically is the same as generation before. However changing vendors is a huge wildcard. So my estimations is —Engine fail very likely.

I’m hoping for the second 992.1 that there’s been water under the bridge and it being late in the production run that it’s more reliable.

I really, really, really hope that the experience of VAG empire helps Porsche launch the hybrid tech in the 992.2s.
Not sure I followed all of this-- what vendor change are you referring to?

VAG as a whole does seem to really be struggling with software. The PPE cars (Macan ev, etc) were all delayed by years due to software issues. And they still haven't quite figured out how to do OTA updates consistently and reliably.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote