carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-03-2018, 09:17 PM   #321
JST

This license plate is terrible. Also, sort of weird this guy took the badge off.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #322
dan
redefined

https://electrek.co/2018/04/05/tesla...mance-version/
Old 04-09-2018, 11:14 PM   #323
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I’m in Phoenix for a few days and finally got to see a Model 3 in person (other than 6 that were under car covers at the Cinci service center awaiting delivery)

I’ve seen 4 now:
- a red one in the showroom with the 19 inch wheels. I really liked it. I sat in it, played around with the screen etc. I mostly like the looks, although wish it was a hatch like the S. Interior room is nearly as big as the S, just a bit narrower. I really like the interior, although the screen felt small compared to the S. The new screen layout will take a little getting used to though.

- 2 dark grey ones at one of the new Superchargers that opened up since I left. Both had the 18 inch stock wheels with the incredibly fugly aero wheel covers.

- a silver one on the road this afternoon. It was heading towards me — and that’s when the shape looked weird. It’s a combination of the low cowl and bulbous greenhouse, along with being on the road with other cars. I’m not completely put off by it, but it does look strange from certain angles, especially on the gray/silver color.

But I really like it in red. I’d also like to see one in white.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #324
ZBB
Relic

Looks like I may be ordering a Model 3 next week…

Musk tweeted yesterday that Tesla will reveal pricing, specs and open orders for the dual motor and performance versions next week. White interior option may also be coming. https://electrek.co/2018/05/11/tesla...ons-next-week/

I'm pretty certain I'll order one in red with dual motor and the upgraded 19" wheels. I saw a red with the aero wheels yesterday at Tesla and the color is great. I've since seen blue and white 3s (I'm starting to see 3s a couple times a week now) -- both look great, but blue isn't for me. I also like the white, but think its time for a change for my next car.

As for wheels, the 18" aero wheels are really ugly (although the aero covers can be taken off and the wheels underneath look great -- and Tesla sells a wheel cap kit for $50 so you can keep the aero covers off -- see the pic below). But the '19s are just gorgeous. I may consider getting a set of the 18's with winter tires, but I just stayed on the all seasons in the S this year...

I'm hoping a tan interior option is also released next week along with the white (which I don't think I could live with). I've sat in the black interior, and I could live with it, but would prefer tan. I'm thinking of ordering dual motor, but will consider a P depending on price.

Here's a few pics of the wheels:
'19s:

'18s with aero covers on:

'18s with aero covers off:
Old 05-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #325
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
You'll be replacing your S?

Those 18" aero wheels are awful. That's not a lot of tire though. You want a bigger wheel than that?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:59 AM   #326
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
You'll be replacing your S?

Those 18" aero wheels are awful. That's not a lot of tire though. You want a bigger wheel than that?
Yep. Replacing the S. Its a couple weeks shy of 5 years old, and I just clicked 87.5k miles yesterday (on the way to service…). I could wait another 6 months or so to replace it, but I don't want to risk losing the full $7500 tax credit on the 3*. I know I'll get the credit if I take delivery by Sept, but we won't know until late June or July if the full credit will be avail through Dec. Plus, Musk tweeted that they know it will take 6 months to fill all the Dual Motor demand (a lot of people have deferred orders so far) -- so getting the order in when they open up next week should get it earlier in the build queue and help ensure delivery by Sept (I'm guessing it would be in Aug since dual motor production is now slated to start in July). I also want to avoid a Tesla built for delivery towards a quarter point -- just too many horror stories of quality issues for cars delivered in the last week or so of a quarter. My S was a May build and has really been great.

As for the wheels. I have 19's on the S and they've been great -- which use a 245/45 size tire. For the 3, the 19's are 235/40, while the 18's are 235/45. Has anyone had pothole issues with 40 side profile tires (since I now live in pothole country)? I'm thinking they should still be OK...

* Tax credit info: Tesla will hit 200k US deliveries in either June or July -- which triggers the tax credit phase out; the full credit is avail for the remainder of the quarter when triggered, plus 1 full quarter after that. The credit then is cut to $3750 for 6 months, with one more drop to $1875 for another 6 months before its gone. Everyone is speculating that Tesla will manage US deliveries to hit 200k in July -- for example, Canadian deliveries started yesterday. But they still could hit 200k in June.

Last edited by ZBB; 05-12-2018 at 10:26 PM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #327
rumatt
Mugwump

Oh 40 isn't as extreme as I thought. They looked smaller.

I have pinch-flatted a 45 snow tire on my e46 when hitting a pothole though.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:30 PM   #328
robg
Carmudgeon

Wow- didn't realize those were covers. Surprised more people don't remove them. The actual wheels aren't so bad. Surprised they don't make the covers optional (or atleast optionally installed at delivery). Wonder if part of the motivation is getting more people to upgrade to the 19s. I'd stick with the 18s for the higher profile given that you're in pothole country. I'm now of the opinion that the smallest wheels that will fit (and you can tolerate aesthetically) are the way to go.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:38 PM   #329
Alan
Carmudgeon

Very cool ordering a new car is always exciting ... looking forward to hearing what you end up with as far as colors, options etc.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:27 PM   #330
rumatt
Mugwump

Since we all rely heavily on consumer reports for our car buying advice...

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/21/tech...rts/index.html